"Safe Standing" Campaign

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grytters
Team Supported: Darlington

"Safe Standing" Campaign

Post by grytters » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Brighton and Hove Albion come out against it, not just at their ground, but in all circumstances.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... -No/page11

The club does not support any move for "safe standing" in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world. One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour. This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch. In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to reprofile the stands and put "pull-up" seats like in Germany with the double standing/sitting stands in a "new build" stadium, but for everyone else?
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo_Fanatic

Re: "Safe Standing" Campaign

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

AMF

The people in charge of Brighton don't understand once the buzz of their new stadium disapears their ground will become sterile and have no atmosphere, having standing sections is vital in England.
DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

What the hell does AMF mean? You've used it twice now.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm

There will never be standing in top flight football in this country again.

The Scousers have made it too much of a personal, emotive issue for any of the powers that be to dare back it.

Darlo_Fanatic

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Against Modern Football.

DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 am

Jazz Maverick wrote:There will never be standing in top flight football in this country again.

The Scousers have made it too much of a personal, emotive issue for any of the powers that be to dare back it.
Unfortunately I agree. Would love to see it back and think it could easily be managed safely but it just won't happen.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 am

Dortmund pack 20,000 fans into a steep, single tiered terrace for every home game. Last time I checked there weren't mass safety issues every week and trouble making was no more prevelant than other bundesliga grounds with all seated stands.

Thousands of rugby league fans in this country squeeze onto terraces in dilapidated old grounds. Similar demographic to football fans yet never any safety issues.

The tragedy that befell the innocent fans who turned up on time and with a ticket at hillsbrough, and the way the scousers have refused to accept that this was caused by anything other than terracing and its policing has ended any hope of top flight terracing returning.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

When it comes to new grounds, is there any limit on terracing, so when we build a new ground will we be limited to how much terracing we can build

Sent by Comrade Marxista Fozzski
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:When it comes to new grounds, is there any limit on terracing, so when we build a new ground will we be limited to how much terracing we can build
As far as I am aware no.

I think there could be a minimum requirement on seating (think this is a fixed value as opposed to a % though) and on capacity I know the latter do not know the former for definite.

The original recommendations/actions off the Taylor report I believe were to have all seater stadiums in all 92 football league grounds by the millenium. This hasn't really been upheld and certainly isn't a requirement in order to attain promotion into the football league.

We have experienced first hand how unlikely there is to be a repeat of Hillsborough even without 'safe' standing being installed. Heritage Park has a capacity of 2,004 under the current guidelines - just look at the images when there were 2,004 in the ground (and that with a crowd which based on other threads seems to be waiting on a large delivery of XXL+ sized shirts...)

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:When it comes to new grounds, is there any limit on terracing, so when we build a new ground will we be limited to how much terracing we can build
As far as I am aware no.

I think there could be a minimum requirement on seating (think this is a fixed value as opposed to a % though) and on capacity I know the latter do not know the former for definite.

The original recommendations/actions off the Taylor report I believe were to have all seater stadiums in all 92 football league grounds by the millenium. This hasn't really been upheld and certainly isn't a requirement in order to attain promotion into the football league.

We have experienced first hand how unlikely there is to be a repeat of Hillsborough even without 'safe' standing being installed. Heritage Park has a capacity of 2,004 under the current guidelines - just look at the images when there were 2,004 in the ground (and that with a crowd which based on other threads seems to be waiting on a large delivery of XXL+ sized shirts...)
In terms of the Football League, I think in the Championship terraced areas have to be seated after a certain amount of time, I think Scunthorpe would have fell foul of this rule had they stayed in the Championship longer.

I dont see the problem with Standing to be honest, it works in the Bundesliga and I have never seen anything to suggest it would be unsafe here

Sent by Comrade Marxista Fozzski
442 Football Crazy Admin

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 pm

What about the loonys who stand in places like Argentina?

Seats are brilliant cos you can fall asleep in them.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Seats are s*** and are preferred by people who shouldnt be at the footy anyway.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Peterborough will replace the terracing at London Road in the summer if they stay up. I'm there tomorrow with a load of Boro fans.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:06 am

Ash_Quaker wrote:Peterborough will replace the terracing at London Road in the summer if they stay up. I'm there tomorrow with a load of Boro fans.
Another march in the direction of complete shitness for British football.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:54 pm

wonder if london road will be looking to install netting as per Gordon Taylor's latest interview!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Well, a whopping 13 out of 92 Football League clubs have backed a campaign to bring back standing areas. So whether you like it or not, it looks like that puts that one to bed.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:31 pm

13 out of 92 have backed a campaing to bring it back...show me this.

I am interested to know which way those clubs that still have terracing have leaned (are there not 13 or more of them anyway!?)

Eitherway if true those 13 will be the envy of the other 79 anyway if they get their way.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 pm

How would safe standing go here, am I right in saying Bundesliga Standing Areas could be turned into seating Areas if required, would our grounds be set up in a similar way???

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

grytters

Re:

Post by grytters » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:How would safe standing go here, am I right in saying Bundesliga Standing Areas could be turned into seating Areas if required, would our grounds be set up in a similar way???

Yes.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/photo-gallery
Bring Back the Quarters

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:13 out of 92 have backed a campaing to bring it back...show me this.

I am interested to know which way those clubs that still have terracing have leaned (are there not 13 or more of them anyway!?)

Eitherway if true those 13 will be the envy of the other 79 anyway if they get their way.

Errrr.....ok

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20679867
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:There will never be standing in top flight football in this country again.

I fear you are right. Yet Hillsborough wasn't caused by terracing. Are we to ban seating because of the Bradford Fire?

At the end of the day the big clubs love it as whatever they may say, it means they can charge people more to watch the same thing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:06 am

wishmaster3211 wrote:Are we to ban seating because of the Bradford Fire?
No...but wooden stadiums with gaps in which allow for flammable debris to build up beneath a stadium and allow for cigarettes to be thrown down there are banned now I would think!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:57 am

wishmaster3211 wrote:

I fear you are right. Yet Hillsborough wasn't caused by terracing. Are we to ban seating because of the Bradford Fire?

At the end of the day the big clubs love it as whatever they may say, it means they can charge people more to watch the same thing.
Wasn't Bradford due to a wooden structure and a build up of rubbish underneath

442 Football Crazy Admin

sloth2

Post by sloth2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 am

I don't understand what the fuss is to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NjS3xFV8mA

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I think its Sunderland who are now banning season ticket holders who refuse to sit down at matches. Going a bit to far?
@George_S96