Alex Ferguson.

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Dn1
Team Supported: Darlington

Alex Ferguson.

Post by Dn1 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 am

So Sir Alex has announced he is to retire at the end of the season. Now I know a few of you won't give a monkeys chuff about this, but for those who do, what are your thoughts?

I think whoever steps in will have a massive task on their hands trying to fill the void he will leave, so personally unless it is the Special One, I think the next few years will see United stagnate and fall away from the title race, leaving it to
Chelsea, Man City and (possibly) Tottenham to fight it out.

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

BaronsCourtQuaker

Re: Alex Ferguson.

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

Its a huge job. No doubt explains Jose constant chatter about moving back to England, he has always fancied the job.

It almost feels to me that United need to hire a manager that can fail for 18 month then hire the man they want, in order to create a gap, I suspect there will never be a bigger appointment in football again, no manager will stay around as long as Fergie has done.

Curiously you look at the odds for those in the frame and I notice Ole Gunner, Mike Phelan, Ryan Giggs getting a mention which suggests there really are not many in the frame. I also think over the years how many manager of the moments were linked to the job and have since faded away, Carlos Queiroz (current Iran Coach), Martin O’Neill & Steve McClaren to name a few.

I’m sure united know who they want and will get them, i just have no clue who it will be.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 am

I'd have thought it is a straight fight between Moyes and Mourinho, although Jurgen Klopp must be a decent outsider with the job he's done resurrecting Dortmund without spending big money.

Mourinho is desperate for that job. I think all the Chelsea talk (on his part) has been a bit of a game to get Man Utd and Ferguson to sit up and take notice. "I'm leaving Real and going straight in to another job" - now or never sort of thing from him, almost pushing Ferguson in to retiring a year or two earlier than he might have because Ferguson, I expect, likes the idea of Mourinho taking over from him.

Mourinho, I think, needs to show he can manage at a club where the emphasis is on development and continuity. He won't get that at Chelsea or Man City, or many other top clubs in Europe - it is s*** or bust almost everywhere now, and while he might succeed by spending millions, it isn't a true sign of a great manager in my opinion.

Moyes is an interesting one. Definitely a risk as he's won nothing, has no Champions League experience, and while he's done a great job to keep Everton punching above their weight year after year, there are plenty of managers who struggle to make that step up. The pressure and expectation will be another level from what he's used to.

Very exciting times for the Premiership, anyway. If Man Utd don't get it right they risk Man City really taking a grip of the Premiership over the next few years with the resources they have at their disposal.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 am

I think it will be Ferguson who will choose the successor - while it seems Moyes not signing a new contract is a coincidence I think the job is to big for Moyes, unless Fergie is going to be upstairs giving him some guidance. There has been a pattern since Moyes has been at Everton with Man U offloading their rejected players to Everton for a cheap fee.
If Fergies is going to walk away completely then it will be Mourhinio - I am still not convinced he is going back to Chelsea - I dont think Abrahmovic will have him back - and I think Chelsea will go for Klopp.
Either way its going to be an interesting Summer in the Managerial Transfer window :)
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

Everything points to Moyes at the moment. He's 1/5 with the bookies to take over and apparently United have said the next manager will be 'cut from the same cloth' as SAF.

Agree with above that it certainly makes the Prem more interesting for next season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 am

It will be a very tough job for the next guy. The only person who wouldn't be a gamble, in terms of winning trophies, is Mourinho. However, Mourinho doesn't hang around long at clubs, which could count against him. It will be interesting to see who Man U choose. I reckon they will go for Moyes.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

I don't think Mourinho wants to go back to Chelsea. He's talking it up for attention, and to wind up John Terry. If Mourinho goes back there, Terry is without doubt finished as a Chelsea player.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

Spyman wrote:I don't think Mourinho wants to go back to Chelsea. He's talking it up for attention, and to wind up John Terry. If Mourinho goes back there, Terry is without doubt finished as a Chelsea player.
Have I missed something between Terry and Mourinho?

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Dn1 wrote:So Sir Alex has announced he is to retire at the end of the season. Now I know a few of you won't give a monkeys chuff about this, but for those who do, what are your thoughts?

I think whoever steps in will have a massive task on their hands trying to fill the void he will leave, so personally unless it is the Special One, I think the next few years will see United stagnate and fall away from the title race, leaving it to

Dn1
Why do you think that?! All United need now is a decent attacking midfielder and the title is sewn up again for another year.

Falling out of the title race because the manager goes :lol:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 am

Free_Transfer wrote:
Dn1 wrote:So Sir Alex has announced he is to retire at the end of the season. Now I know a few of you won't give a monkeys chuff about this, but for those who do, what are your thoughts?

Dn1
Why do you think that?! All United need now is a decent attacking midfielder and the title is sewn up again for another year.

:lol:

Yep, they've smashed the league this season and have an exceptionally talented young squad.

In Jones, Rafael, Smalling and Evans they have some of the best young defenders in the Premiership and at the moment, only one of them is first choice.

The midfield could do with strengthening - someone alongside Carrick, but then in terms of attacking players they've got as strong a group as almost anyone else - I'd probably only put Real, Barca and maybe Man City ahead of them in terms of individuals on that front (possibly Bayern too, with Goetze joining).

They're still streaks ahead of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool in terms of their first 11 and squad strength and at least on a par with Chelsea and Man City, regardless of the manager.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

Free_Transfer wrote:Why do you think that?! All United need now is a decent attacking midfielder and the title is sewn up again for another year.

I'd say they already have one. As long as they don't offload Rooney to PSG this summer they have a pretty outstanding attacking midfielder in their ranks, Kagawa is pretty decent in that position as well.

I had been expecting Fergie to go at the end of this season and expected Mourinho to be the new man. Mourinho seemed to be present a few times this year before they were drawn against each other. Then the rumours started about him leaving Madrid. The pair had a lot of respect for one another. So I did wonder if maybe Fergie was already lining him up.

"cut from the same cloth" means nothing really. Moyes, because he's Scottish. Mourinho, because he is a born winner. Roy Keane, because he gets in referee's faces. Peter Schmeichel, because he has a red nose. Gary Johnson, because his son his also a football manager...you could probably turn anyone into a similarity with Fergie. What cut Fergie out from the rest before he got the United gig, he won a European title with Aberdeen, I don't think any manager has repeated a similar feat recently.

The bookies odds suggest Moyes is nailed on, but I still really fancy Mourinho for it. Possibly bringing Ronaldo back with him as a marquee signing. Given the reports only a few weeks ago were that they were prepared to splash £50mil on Falcao they must have some cash to spend. Isn't Ronaldo's contract up for renewal relatively soon as well?

De Gea, Jones, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick, Kagawa, Welbeck, van Persie. It wouldn't be a BAD XI for a manager to try and win a title with would it!?

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed May 08, 2013 11:43 am

I'm pretty convinced that Mourinho that will be Man Utd's next manager that I've just whacked a bet on it. This of course means that Moyes will become the next manager.

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Free_Transfer wrote:Why do you think that?! All United need now is a decent attacking midfielder and the title is sewn up again for another year.

I'd say they already have one. As long as they don't offload Rooney to PSG this summer they have a pretty outstanding attacking midfielder in their ranks, Kagawa is pretty decent in that position as well.

I had been expecting Fergie to go at the end of this season and expected Mourinho to be the new man. Mourinho seemed to be present a few times this year before they were drawn against each other. Then the rumours started about him leaving Madrid. The pair had a lot of respect for one another. So I did wonder if maybe Fergie was already lining him up.

"cut from the same cloth" means nothing really. Moyes, because he's Scottish. Mourinho, because he is a born winner. Roy Keane, because he gets in referee's faces. Peter Schmeichel, because he has a red nose. Gary Johnson, because his son his also a football manager...you could probably turn anyone into a similarity with Fergie. What cut Fergie out from the rest before he got the United gig, he won a European title with Aberdeen, I don't think any manager has repeated a similar feat recently.

The bookies odds suggest Moyes is nailed on, but I still really fancy Mourinho for it. Possibly bringing Ronaldo back with him as a marquee signing. Given the reports only a few weeks ago were that they were prepared to splash £50mil on Falcao they must have some cash to spend. Isn't Ronaldo's contract up for renewal relatively soon as well?

De Gea, Jones, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick, Kagawa, Welbeck, van Persie. It wouldn't be a BAD XI for a manager to try and win a title with would it!?
That's who i mean Lo, someone in the Cristiano Ronaldo category. Rooney is alright playing attacking mid but nowhere near old Ronaldo.

I suspect Welbeck isn't as good as he's cracked up to be, but it's early days...

And if Lewandowski arrives in the summer, imagine that fire power :shock:

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I always thought that man would go the way Jock Stein did, carried out in a wooden overcoat...

What next for him, will he be co-opted onto the board...

To think back in 1990 he was 90 minutes away from the sack in cup game against Notts Forest...They went on to win the cup that year and the rest is history

Marxista Fozz
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Fozz he is on the board as a director and will be an ambassador for heavy drinking

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Fozz he is on the board as a director and will be an ambassador for heavy drinking
Lol :grin:
442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 pm

From David Gill:

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That last sentence just about rules out Moyes.

DC

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

So he is doing what Matt Busby did and Bobby Charlton does today...

Man Utd is probably the top club job in the world, and I reckon Jose Mourinho would be perfect for the job
442 Football Crazy Admin

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Spyman wrote:From David Gill:

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That last sentence just about rules out Moyes.
Which makes the latest developments all the more confusing. All sources at pointing to Moyes being in 'pole position'.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 pm

It depends who's hiring really, if Fergie wants a puppet he can control and mould from upstairs, it'll be Moyes.

If he doesn't mind playing second fiddle (which I can't see him being happy with) then Mourinho is the obvious choice.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 2:32 pm

I'd say that's a bit disrespectful to both Moyes and Ferguson.

Moyes is clearly his own man, and won't be someone else's puppet. He might feel that he can learn a lot from Ferguson, but I'm sure he'll hold his own.

Eually, I think Ferguson is smart enough not to interfere.

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 pm

TDS wrote:It depends who's hiring really, if Fergie wants a puppet he can control and mould from upstairs, it'll be Moyes.

If he doesn't mind playing second fiddle (which I can't see him being happy with) then Mourinho is the obvious choice.
The final decision will obviously come from the board of directors - but I'd be very surprised if Sir Alex didn't have any input into the appointment.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm

It will be the easiest job in football ever. Man Utd is so big and well run any body could step in and run the show. I can see the special one. getting the job but roberto martinez would be ideal.
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 08, 2013 4:15 pm

I understand that some bookies have closed betting as Moyes has got the job according "to sources"

funksoul

Post by funksoul » Wed May 08, 2013 4:39 pm

ive said this elsewhere but ill repeat my thoughts, hes a great manager and at the time he was appointed football was a different place. They had a forward plan they knew give him time ell get a team and win stuff whic he has, however if he was starting again now hed be sacked for not being good enoughh first season...sadly most teams expect a manager to walk into a club get success while having to deal with old players from a different regime, he also had the ability over many years to build a team dismantle it and come back stronger. not many managers can say that, and not many managers can say they been at one club and won lots consistently, most do well to start then fade. i think Wenger is a prime example, he does consistently well but hasnt won anything in ages. Again Wenger going to another prem club now would probs be sacked even tho he consistently gets into europe etc. when e and alex goes if noone wins anything theyl be out the door

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm

He definitely got the time, wasnt it something like 3-4 years to get the FA Cup, I am sure it was around this time he was skating on thin ice, 1 game from the sack, going into a Cup Game against Forest(i think), they won and the rest is history.

Love him or hate him, he is the best manager this country, if not, also Europe has ever seen, I dont think we will ever see another manager like him, certainly not in my lifetime. The only person around at the moment in my opinion to be anywhere near Fergie is Jose Mourinho, still young and many years ahead of him in the game.

Now David Moyes seemingly has the top job(seems to be a well known open secret), will Fergie have any influence over him, I know he is going upstairs, but will he be doing a job effectively mentoring him. That is one massive job to take on and I just hope the new guy is given the time to get his shite together, I suspect with Fergie behind the scenes a new manager will get at least some time. I just hope United fans dont expect. Ferguson mk2, I think given time Moyes could do a job, fair enough, he may not have won much with Everton, but he has done a hell of a job on what limited resources he had.

Some interesting times ahead for United, I hope Moyes does not inherit Fergusons watch, that works on a time zone all on it's own
442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:He definitely got the time, wasnt it something like 3-4 years to get the FA Cup, I am sure it was around this time he was skating on thin ice, 1 game from the sack, going into a Cup Game against Forest(i think), they won and the rest is history.

Love him or hate him, he is the best manager this country, if not, also Europe has ever seen, I dont think we will ever see another manager like him, certainly not in my lifetime. The only person around at the moment in my opinion to be anywhere near Fergie is Jose Mourinho, still young and many years ahead of him in the game.

Now David Moyes seemingly has the top job(seems to be a well known open secret), will Fergie have any influence over him, I know he is going upstairs, but will he be doing a job effectively mentoring him. That is one massive job to take on and I just hope the new guy is given the time to get his shite together, I suspect with Fergie behind the scenes a new manager will get at least some time. I just hope United fans dont expect. Ferguson mk2, I think given time Moyes could do a job, fair enough, he may not have won much with Everton, but he has done a hell of a job on what limited resources he had.

Some interesting times ahead for United, I hope Moyes does not inherit Fergusons watch, that works on a time zone all on it's own
The one game from the sack thing was a myth. Several people including Ferguson have rubbished it recently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DC

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Spyman wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:He definitely got the time, wasnt it something like 3-4 years to get the FA Cup, I am sure it was around this time he was skating on thin ice, 1 game from the sack, going into a Cup Game against Forest(i think), they won and the rest is history.

The one game from the sack thing was a myth. Several people including Ferguson have rubbished it recently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Ah right, I was very young when that supposedly was happening, so always went on the words of others

Marxista Fozz
442 Football Crazy Admin

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu May 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Darlo will wrote:It will be the easiest job in football ever. Man Utd is so big and well run any body could step in and run the show. I can see the special one. getting the job but roberto martinez would be ideal.
I'd say it's probably the toughest job in football - not sure how replacing the greatest manager of all time could be considered anything else really.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

I see Moyes has it on a 6 year contract