Alex Ferguson.

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alex Ferguson.

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 09, 2013 3:47 pm

I think it's a good appointment. Be interesting to see what happens over the summer. I would not be surprised to see Baines join Man U.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Good look to Moyes, Man Utd are certainly showing a lot of faith in him by offering him a 6 year deal...

I am still unsure he is the right man, but good luck to the man, you must be doing something right if Alex Ferguson rates you, as has already been said, I hope Moyes gets time to stamp his own mark on the club, and, as long as Ferguson is involved with the Club, I feel Moyes will get the time to prove himself.

Some interesting times ahead for Man Utd Fans

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 09, 2013 4:24 pm

al_quaker wrote:I think it's a good appointment. Be interesting to see what happens over the summer. I would not be surprised to see Baines join Man U.
Him and Fellaini would be the obvious ones and would probably plug Utd's weak spots - replace an ageing Evra, and get in a physical box to box midfielder who can score goals.

That and keeping Rooney, and he's on to a winner.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah I forgot about Fellaini. Like you say he'd do a good job for Man U too. I suppose it depends on whether Moyes would go back and try and buy Everton's 2 best players.

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Keep Rooney :shock:

That fat granny shagger has burnt his bridges now, the first time it was sorted but this time he's got to go!

He's been behind the pecking order to a true world class striker in Van Persie, and poor little Wayne doesn't like it. Boohoo!!

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Really like Moyes and hope he does well. One thing I can't get used to is Man U actually being the most likeable team capable of winning the league.

Agree about Baines - thought he was unlucky not to be a player of the year contender this season.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 am

I just get the picture that Moyes has been playing "overachieving little Everton" for a while and people were just glad if they were in the top 5-14ish.

Man United don't have that mentality, and I just feel big players will not want to play for Moyes in the same way Fergie pulled them in. Therefore Fergie's involvement on the board suggests he'll probably have an eye on Moyes, in a mentor kind of way, wouldn't say that was disrespectful.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he can hack it or not certainly!

As for Rooney, great player but for me he can leave, so annoying hearing him spitting his dummy out because Colleen doesn't get the politics of football and convinces him he's better off elsewhere. Who wants to leave a side like United?!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 am

Based on Everton's squad they are not over achieving that much, the certainly have quality over quantity mind when they have been hit with injuries it has been very evident! He has built that squad for a pretty decent price mind!

Moyes is one of those managers who seems to spend better when he does it on the cheap. This is off the top of my head but signings over £7million have been Bilyaletdinov, Andrew Johnson, Yakubu, Felliani & Jelavic.

It is a very different environment at Man United. I still think he will do well, he is clearly a good motivator who gets the best out of the players who have the right attitude (Howard, P. Neville, Jagielka's etc.). Unless he does something catastrophically wrong he will struggle to finish anything other than 2nd next year.

If he can bring Felliani and Baines across with him then as Spyman says it plugs a couple of United's "holes". It will probably set them back £35m-£40m to do it so for his sake I hope it works otherwise it will appear to be quite a costly mistake.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm

lo36789 wrote:Based on Everton's squad they are not over achieving that much, the certainly have quality over quantity mind when they have been hit with injuries it has been very evident! He has built that squad for a pretty decent price mind!

Moyes is one of those managers who seems to spend better when he does it on the cheap. This is off the top of my head but signings over £7million have been Bilyaletdinov, Andrew Johnson, Yakubu, Felliani & Jelavic.

It is a very different environment at Man United. I still think he will do well, he is clearly a good motivator who gets the best out of the players who have the right attitude (Howard, P. Neville, Jagielka's etc.). Unless he does something catastrophically wrong he will struggle to finish anything other than 2nd next year.

If he can bring Felliani and Baines across with him then as Spyman says it plugs a couple of United's "holes". It will probably set them back £35m-£40m to do it so for his sake I hope it works otherwise it will appear to be quite a costly mistake.
I doubt those two would cost that much - what he does need to do, and what Ferguson has done well, is not get in to a bidding war with the likes of Chelsea.

One of Ferguson's big strengths has always been identifying a players value and not spending over that value. He's spent big money on players at times, but almost always on young talent that he can improve. He would always be pragmatic in his view that if he couldn't outbid the opposition for player X, there would always be an alternative.

The only time I can remember him straying from this, and he was caught out, was when he signed Veron - an expensive player at his peak who didn't live up to the price tag.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Leighton Baines would be a great signing for Manchester United - do they really need Fellaini though? I've always felt that Shinji Kagawa would be perfect if he was given a chance to play just behind the forwards.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Spyman wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
I doubt those two would cost that much
I reckon lo has it about right - Premiership players tend to have inflated prices, and when you factor in that they're Everton's two star players who they won't want to sell, plus the likes of Chelsea and Man City will be sniffing around, then you're looking at at least £15mill each.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Maybe - I think Fellaini more so than Baines though.

While I think Kagawa is good, I think what Utd have lacked for years, probably since Keane left, is a real physical presence, box-to-box type player in midfield. Carrick plays the holding role well and can slow things down and pick a pass, but if you're playnig a midfield pairing (which I appreciate is increasingly rare), I don't think Kagawa is the answer. He's too light-weight. He can do a great job just off a striker with two men behind him, and also a good job out wide.

But then even if you are playing Kagawa off RVP, you would still have two behind. Carrick and one other. Scholes is retiring, Giggs will follow shortly, Anderson is too hit and miss, Fletcher appears to be finished and I think Jones will end up in central defence.

p.s. Lo, you listed some of Moyes' more expensive signings implying they were flops? Certainly 3 of the 5 you listed were/are far from flops! Jelavic, and Fellaini have turned out to be good pieces of business.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Spyman wrote:p.s. Lo, you listed some of Moyes' more expensive signings implying they were flops? Certainly 3 of the 5 you listed were/are far from flops! Jelavic, and Fellaini have turned out to be good pieces of business.
Yeah I noticed that too. There's the two you mentioned plus Yakubu and Johnson still turned out to be good signings. The only one who could be considered "poor business" or a "flop" is Bilyaletdinov.

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Tim Howard could have been a great keeper for United, unfortunately for him van der Sar was at the peak of his career and on fire.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Free_Transfer wrote:Tim Howard could have been a great keeper for United, unfortunately for him van der Sar was at the peak of his career and on fire.
Didn't Van Der Star come in because Howard couldn't establish himself over Roy Carroll?

DC

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Spyman wrote:
Free_Transfer wrote:Tim Howard could have been a great keeper for United, unfortunately for him van der Sar was at the peak of his career and on fire.
Didn't Van Der Star come in because Howard couldn't establish himself over Roy Carroll?

Essentially, yes. If i recall, the new season started and Howard dropped a couple of clangers so Carroll came back in in his place. After a couple of mistakes by Carroll, Howard came back in and did alright...at the end of the season Carroll and the third choice keeper were released...the other keeper being some Portuguese fella if i recall correctly. This made Howard think he was going to be No.1 full time so he signed a new deal, but then van der Sar came in as No.1 and Howard got a bit pissed off.

Still a very good goalkeeper is Howard.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Very good, yes - but not in Van Der Sar's class, and when you get the opportunity to sign a top keeper like that (for very little money if I remember right), you don't pass it up.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:19 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:p.s. Lo, you listed some of Moyes' more expensive signings implying they were flops? Certainly 3 of the 5 you listed were/are far from flops! Jelavic, and Fellaini have turned out to be good pieces of business.
Yeah I noticed that too. There's the two you mentioned plus Yakubu and Johnson still turned out to be good signings. The only one who could be considered "poor business" or a "flop" is Bilyaletdinov.
Hummm Jelavic has yet to convince me. AJ would have been great had he not been injured all the time and Yakubu was the definition of inconsistent from memory at Everton he could be awesome he could be awful!

Fellaini has a £25mil buy out and Baines I'd say you are looking at £8m-£15m for him.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Didn't Moyes pay £6m for James Beattie?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm

MaddosMilkman wrote:Didn't Moyes pay £6m for James Beattie?
Quite possibly.

Beattie was scoring a lot of goals back then though.

DC

MCFC Darlo
Team Supported: Man City & Darlo

Post by MCFC Darlo » Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm

I just pray he is one of those Managers who when given money dont know what to do with it......

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

MCFC Darlo wrote:
I just pray he is one of those Managers who when given money dont know what to do with it......
Someone else alluded to it, but I genuinely think that the way the game is now going, more and more people are becoming Utd sympathisers - they do it closer to the 'right' way than most of their rivals these days.

I'm even coming round to Liverpool if they stand by Rodgers.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 22, 2013 11:44 am

The Premiership is going to be a completely different place next year: no Ferguson, no Mancini, Moyes at Man Utd, a new Everton manager, a new Man City manager, a new Chelsea manager, no Pulis, and probably best of all: Paulo di Canio and Jose Mourinho giving us a bit of off-field entertainment.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 22, 2013 12:33 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:The Premiership is going to be a completely different place next year: no Ferguson, no Mancini, Moyes at Man Utd, a new Everton manager, a new Man City manager, a new Chelsea manager, no Pulis, and probably best of all: Paulo di Canio and Jose Mourinho giving us a bit of off-field entertainment.
I wouldn't bank on Di Canio being around for much of next season!

DC