Hurrah for FIFA!

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grytters
Team Supported: Darlington

Hurrah for FIFA!

Post by grytters » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Quite appropriate given Western Europe is currently sweltering under a heatwave, the great and the good in Zurich are committed to both the good of the game, and the welfare of the players!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23351824

Such a shame those pesky Yoorpeens are stopping both them and their chums in Nyon from developing the "Global Brand" that is Socceball

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23288211
Bring Back the Quarters

WeAreDFC

Re: Hurrah for FIFA!

Post by WeAreDFC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

It seems obvious to me that the plan all along was to hold it in the winter, they just didn't want to announce it when the original decision was made.

If it is moved to winter, I can see the top leagues refusing to reschedule, meaning most of the best players don't even go. Or they play it in summer and it is a total farce not to mention potentially dangerous to the health of players and fans.

Will be a disaster either way.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:If it is moved to winter, I can see the top leagues refusing to reschedule, meaning most of the best players don't even go. Or they play it in summer and it is a total farce not to mention potentially dangerous to the health of players and fans.
Won't happen.

If the leagues don't reschedule their players won't be available to play in league games. There is the rule where a player can be banned from playing domestic football if they turn down international selection.

Don't see what the big deal is. Think it would be a nice change.

The world deserves to host the World Cup really instead of it just alternating from Europe to elsewhere.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:
WeAreDFC wrote:If it is moved to winter, I can see the top leagues refusing to reschedule, meaning most of the best players don't even go. Or they play it in summer and it is a total farce not to mention potentially dangerous to the health of players and fans.
Won't happen.

If the leagues don't reschedule their players won't be available to play in league games. There is the rule where a player can be banned from playing domestic football if they turn down international selection.

Don't see what the big deal is. Think it would be a nice change.

The world deserves to host the World Cup really instead of it just alternating from Europe to elsewhere.
That is correct, I don't think a player can play In the club game before the International and the League game after, so if clubs stopped players going, they would end up with a ban for the duration of the World Cup.

Why does have to be so difficult to schedule in Winter, could the European August-May Leagues not just either start earlier, end of July instead of beginning/mid August, or have a 4 week winter break in the January, finishing the season a few weeks later in May or June. Everyone seems to manage ok with the African Cup of Nations comes round And, if I remember, that is played in January...But then I sense the Premier League and the likes would be outraged about the World Cup upstaging them

I don't see why the Leagues cannot play on during the World Cup, I am domestic rugby clubs play through the RWC and Cricket manages to play when England play big games.

I don't like the idea of shifting the World Cup, I just like the thought of a Summer Competition as I like getting the BBQ out or goto my local for a few beers
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:59 am

Maybe FIFA etc should have thought about this when voting for that great footballing nation of Dubai.....er......em.....do they actually have a league?......holding the tournament. Of course money had nothing to do with it did it? ;)
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:31 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:Maybe FIFA etc should have thought about this when voting for that great footballing nation of Dubai.....er......em.....do they actually have a league?......holding the tournament. Of course money had nothing to do with it did it? ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_L ... in_the_UAE

Sure do including 60,000 all seater air conditioned stadiums, hardly Micky mouse stuff and they have 4 cup competitions annually

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am

Isn't the idea of how the current league system works in most countries is to avoid the heat? So moving it would mean players are playing in Warmer temps anyway. They've created this problem for themselves and its ridiculous.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm

TDS wrote:Isn't the idea of how the current league system works in most countries is to avoid the heat? So moving it would mean players are playing in Warmer temps anyway. They've created this problem for themselves and its ridiculous.
No idea. But usually a tournament is scheduled for the summer anyway so i don't get what your problem is.

Either the World Cup is on in the summer or the uncompleted league fixtures take place at exactly the same time - well probably before because there is a little break before a WC starts.

Ultimately you have the start of one league season, the end of another and a world cup to fit in in a year. Jiggling them about about doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 pm

The Premier League have said they are against a winter world cup and wouldn't move any games if the Qatar world cup was in the winter.
@George_S96

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:The Premier League have said they are against a winter world cup and wouldn't move any games if the Qatar world cup was in the winter.
Well that will just mean they don't have their big name players available for a month if it does go ahead! How long do current tv deals last? They might change their mind if a months worth of games aren't worth as much cash anymore.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am

I really fucking hate modern football.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 am

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:01 pm

It won't matter a sh1t when none of the homenations qualify. Oh, hang on a minute, there are next to none of our players who play for our top teams anyway. :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:45 pm

joejaques wrote:It won't matter a sh1t when none of the homenations qualify. Oh, hang on a minute, there are next to none of our players who play for our top teams anyway. :roll:
England are top of the group with 2 home games to go. No reason to think they won't qualify.

Hart, Cole, Cahill, Carrick, Lampard, Wilshere, Rooney, Young, Walcott, Welbeck, Cleverley, all England regulars and all play regularly for teams that finished in the top 4 last season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC