New season predictions

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

WeAreDFC
Team Supported: Darlington

New season predictions

Post by WeAreDFC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Anybody fancy picking their winners for the top 5 leagues.

Prem:
Champ:
L1:
L2:
Conf:

WeAreDFC

Re: New season predictions

Post by WeAreDFC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Oh, here's mine...

Prem: Chelsea
Champ: Reading
L1: Brentford
L2: Chesterfield
Conf: Wrexham

Just looked on Ladbrokes and a £1 stake on that would pay out £21,600. :shock: Got to be worth a dabble. ;)

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm

On the squads as they are right now.
Prem: Spurs (with the new signings along with Bale I think they have got a real shot) but if Bale leaves for Real then City. Chelsea, United and Arsenal haven't really strengthed their first team.
Champ: Watford. Kept a lot of players from last season and added some real quality to the squad. Got rid of a few average players as well. Add to that Deeney getting a full pre season unlike last year.
League 1: Wovles. I think they have got to much quality for that league.
League 2: Scunthorpe.
Conference: Wrexham.
@George_S96

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Prem: Chelsea.
Champ: Queens Park Rangers.
L1: Wolverhampton Wanderers.
L2: Portsmouth.
Conf: Grimsby Town.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Tottenham? Interested to know who you think they've signed that will close the gap on United & City from last season!?

Can't predict without prediction Darlo...

Prem: Manchester City
Champ: QPR
League 1: MK Dons
League 2: Fleetwood
Conference: Kidderminster
FA Cup: Man United
League Cup: Southampton
NPD1N: Darlington
Last edited by lo36789 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:Tottenham? Interested to know who you think they've signed that will close the gap on United & City from last season!?

Can't predict without prediction Darlo...

Prem: Manchester City
Champ: QPR
League 1: MK Dons
League 2: Fleetwood
Conference: Kidderminster
They have got Kabul and Sandro coming back from injury along with Soldado up top and Paulinho. Like I said United have not strengthened and Bale will only get better.
@George_S96

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Spurs will be nowhere near title challengers. 3rd at best.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am

I have also put my prediction for the cups

Champ: Wigan
L1: Sheffield Utd
L2: Chesterfield
FA Cup: Tottenham
League Cup: Sunderland
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:21 am

Paulinho is one of the picks of the summer signings in my opinion. I can see him strengthening Spurs a lot, but Bale will go and Soldado is over-priced. A Spanish striker who can't get in the National team ahead of Torres? No thanks.

I think it'll be a close one between Chelsea and the two Manchester sides, although if Utd do strengthen the midfield and keep Rooney they'll win it again. City have made signings, but none that really convince me that they'll strengthen the first eleven. Mourinho certainly has the know-how, but I think he's got a side in transition and it'll be another year before they're really chellenging - he needs to find a replacement for the core of what was 'his' team - Terry, Lampard and Drogba.

Championship I think Watford are a decent shout. I'm sure QPR will do their best to spend their way out again, and Palace will be there or thereabouts along with Reading.

Brentford for League 1.

I pay very little interest to L2 and the Conference at the moment, so wouldn't want to guess.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 am

Spyman wrote:Palace will be there or thereabouts along with Reading.
I would bet my life savings, and all my future wages that they won't.

Assuming you mean Crystal Palace and Palace isn't just a pet name that you have for another team!

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:43 am

I can't see Palace doing anything in the championship,maybe propping up the prem league most of the season.......

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:56 am

Spyman wrote:Paulinho is one of the picks of the summer signings in my opinion. I can see him strengthening Spurs a lot, but Bale will go and Soldado is over-priced. A Spanish striker who can't get in the National team ahead of Torres? No thanks.

I think it'll be a close one between Chelsea and the two Manchester sides, although if Utd do strengthen the midfield and keep Rooney they'll win it again. City have made signings, but none that really convince me that they'll strengthen the first eleven. Mourinho certainly has the know-how, but I think he's got a side in transition and it'll be another year before they're really chellenging - he needs to find a replacement for the core of what was 'his' team - Terry, Lampard and Drogba.
I see what you mean about Soldado but you're guaranteed goals with him. His record is consistently brilliant each season and he has actually established himself in the Spain squad ahead of Torres now. I think his problem has been battling against both Torres and Villa throughout his career who were both world class at their peak. 20 odd million is arguably a bit much (like you said) but his record suggests that he'll get around 20 goals a season, so perhaps not. He's currently playing the best football of his career as well (6 in 11 for Spain, 30 in 46 for Valencia).

I think you're underrating Man City's signings too. Jovetic and Navas are both brilliant and just the kinds of player which Man City need (creative, pacey players with a high level of end-product), and Negredo scored 25 league goals last season. Fernandinho was over-priced but he's still a quality player: very pacey, very skillful, and with a rocket of a shot on him.

I agree with the Chelsea bit but they do have a number of players who have the potential to fill those roles: Luiz for Terry, Lukaku for Drogba, Oscar/Mata/Hazard/Schurrle for Lampard. It obviously depends on if these players manage to step up to a higher level of performance, but they undoubtedly have the potential to do so and age on their side.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Premier League: Chelsea
Championship: QPR
League One: Wolves
League Two: Scunthorpe
Conference: Wrexham

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Palace will be there or thereabouts along with Reading.
I would bet my life savings, and all my future wages that they won't.

Assuming you mean Crystal Palace and Palace isn't just a pet name that you have for another team!
Whoops yeh, dropped a massive clanger there!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm

I fancy Bony to do well this season, I've seen him play quite a few times and he's usually impressed me.

I really rate Soldado too, and think he'll do really well in England.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:Paulinho is one of the picks of the summer signings in my opinion. I can see him strengthening Spurs a lot, but Bale will go and Soldado is over-priced. A Spanish striker who can't get in the National team ahead of Torres? No thanks.

I see what you mean about Soldado but you're guaranteed goals with him. His record is consistently brilliant each season and he has actually established himself in the Spain squad ahead of Torres now. I think his problem has been battling against both Torres and Villa throughout his career who were both world class at their peak. 20 odd million is arguably a bit much (like you said) but his record suggests that he'll get around 20 goals a season, so perhaps not. He's currently playing the best football of his career as well (6 in 11 for Spain, 30 in 46 for Valencia).

I think you're underrating Man City's signings too. Jovetic and Navas are both brilliant and just the kinds of player which Man City need (creative, pacey players with a high level of end-product), and Negredo scored 25 league goals last season. Fernandinho was over-priced but he's still a quality player: very pacey, very skillful, and with a rocket of a shot on him.

I agree with the Chelsea bit but they do have a number of players who have the potential to fill those roles: Luiz for Terry, Lukaku for Drogba, Oscar/Mata/Hazard/Schurrle for Lampard. It obviously depends on if these players manage to step up to a higher level of performance, but they undoubtedly have the potential to do so and age on their side.
I take your point on Soldado - I think he's an improvement on Adebayor and offers something different to Defoe, but I think they've paid over the odds for him nonetheless.

I'm not convinved on City - I have a friend who lives in Cordoba and he has seen a lot of Navas - he was raving about him the other week, but I'm just not convinced it will work out for him. His well documented home sickness could be a problem. And as good as he could be, he will only play at the expense of someone else, be it Silva, Nasri, even Milner - how much of an improvement will he really be on any of those (even if you don't like Milner!)? Same applies to Negredo and Jovetic really - decent options to have, but are they better than Aguero and Dzeko? They'll strengthen the squad allowing City to compete on more fronts, but I don't think they'll drastically strengthen the team week on week.

Fernandinho may prove me wrong, but how good can a player be if at the age of 28 he is still playing in the Ukranian league with only a handful of international caps during a period when his national team has been weaker than it has been in recent memory?

I also know what you are saying with Chelsea, but at their peak they had Terry and Carvalho - Luiz replaces one of those, but they need to find a partner for him. Lukaku has the potential to be the next Drogba, but he's had one good season in a low-pressure midtable side. I think he'll take a year or two to establish himself. Lampard, for what he has done over the last decade, is virtually irreplacable for Chelsea. Oscar is probably the closest thing they have, but I think Mourinho is going to have to adapt how he shapes the team compared to what he did when he was at Chelsea last.

If Man Utd bring in Fellaini or Fabregas, and convince Rooney to stay then I think they'll have too much. I expect Kagawa to make a much bigger impact this season as well.

DC

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 pm

The Prem is a difficult one to call this season. I went for Chelsea based on the Mourinho factor. They have a pretty good squad, just need the right manager IMO. He's been there and done it unlike Moyes and Pellegrini.

City have an awesome attacking line up on paper but I'm not convinced about them defensively. I do think they'll do better with Pellegrini though (never rated Mancini).

United will be interesting. I think this season will be something of a transitional period for them. They need to add at least one top quality midfielder as well.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:18 pm

The thing is, while Moyes and Pellegrini haven't done it before, most of their playing staff have. There are very few members of the Chelsea team that have been involved with a Premiership title chase and it is the players out on the pitch as much as the manager that win the games.

DC

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Champ: Wigan Athletic
L1: Sheffield Utd
L2: Fleetwood Town

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Champ: Wigan
L1: Brentford
L2: Portsmouth
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Prem Chelsea
Champ Wigan
L1 Wolves
L2 Portsmouth
Conf Wrexham

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Premier League...Chelsea to win it
Arsenal player or coach to declare in Jan that we will win all 4 trophys :lol: just before thay get knocked out of all cups and come 4th in the title race.
Mags will get relegated but not before Puppet Pardew walks and Mad Joe gets the managers job ,think Palace & Fulham will be joining em.

Championship ...anyone but QPR to win it unless QPR sack that tosser they have in charge.

League 2 ...Dont care as long as the Hangers come 23rd or 24th

Evostick Div 1 North ...The Darlo by 10 points :thumbup:

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Spyman wrote:The thing is, while Moyes and Pellegrini haven't done it before, most of their playing staff have. There are very few members of the Chelsea team that have been involved with a Premiership title chase and it is the players out on the pitch as much as the manager that win the games.
The spine of the Chelsea team have been through tough title races though. Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Essien actually owning medals. You could argue that Torres came pretty close when he was at Liverpool too, and if they manage to add Rooney then they'll be pretty experienced in my book.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:00 pm

MaddosMilkman wrote:
Spyman wrote:The thing is, while Moyes and Pellegrini haven't done it before, most of their playing staff have. There are very few members of the Chelsea team that have been involved with a Premiership title chase and it is the players out on the pitch as much as the manager that win the games.
The spine of the Chelsea team have been through tough title races though. Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard and Essien actually owning medals. You could argue that Torres came pretty close when he was at Liverpool too, and if they manage to add Rooney then they'll be pretty experienced in my book.
You think Terry, Lampard and Essien are the spine of that team nowadays?

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Well, I think they'll be more than useful when it gets to Easter time and they're involved in a title challenge.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm telling you now lads, lump your money on Watford to win the Championship. That second half performance was breathtaking. Deeny for top scorer as well.
@George_S96

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 am

Darlo_George_96 wrote:I'm telling you now lads, lump your money on Watford to win the Championship. That second half performance was breathtaking. Deeny for top scorer as well.
Think they'll be matched all the way by Wigan.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:55 am

I think Wigan have had their fun in the sun,this is the start of the long winding road back into league 2,they haven't got the fans to remain as high up the leagues and if anything have over achieved the last 5 years-far pay to them mind.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 am

karlo-cardiff wrote:I think Wigan have had their fun in the sun,this is the start of the long winding road back into league 2,they haven't got the fans to remain as high up the leagues and if anything have over achieved the last 5 years-far pay to them mind.
Depends how well they use their parachutes. They have 2 years to get back in my book. Failing that they will turn into what Middlesbrough are now. They won't have any real expectation of doing anything!

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 am

cameron-darlo wrote:
Darlo_George_96 wrote:I'm telling you now lads, lump your money on Watford to win the Championship. That second half performance was breathtaking. Deeny for top scorer as well.
Think they'll be matched all the way by Wigan.
I think they will be up their but will have to many games to play with Europa League. It's a long enough season as it is in the Championship.
@George_S96