England vs Scotchland

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

WeAreDFC
Team Supported: Darlington

England vs Scotchland

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 am

Only just realised this game is on tonight. Anybody care?

As bad as we can be sometimes, we should still have enough to win comfortably. In saying that, I can't imagine some of our players will be flying into tackles with the new season a few days away whereas the Sweaties will be well up for it.

Still I'll go 4-0 England.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Re: England vs Scotchland

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am

We really should be smashing Scotland for 5 but they had a good win against Croatia recently and we always make hard work of it against mid level European teams and will probably have the reserves out 2nd half...
So I'm going with a narrow 2-1 borefest

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 am

I've got a bet on for 3-1 England :)

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:51 am

Lol, what odds did you get?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 am

12-1, only stuck £2 on it.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am

To be honest, I think we'll give a few of the fringe players a chance so it will be a lot closer than it would have been normally....

England 5-0 Scotland :lol:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 pm

AndyPark wrote:12-1, only stuck £2 on it.
Wow, don't go too crazy!

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 pm

2-1 England. The Scottish league has already started so most of their players will be fitter than ours. Think they could give us a decent game.
@George_S96

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Those Scotchland fans earlier today in Trafalgar Square, after filling the fountains with washing up liquid.

(And a can of Carlsberg)

https://twitter.com/Jamiewrexhamfc/stat ... 24/photo/1
Bring Back the Quarters

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm

grytters wrote:Those Scotchland fans earlier today in Trafalgar Square, after filling the fountains with washing up liquid.

(And a can of Carlsberg)

The yearly bath.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm

grytters wrote:Those Scotchland fans earlier today in Trafalgar Square, after filling the fountains with washing up liquid.

(And a can of Carlsberg)

This fixture always attracts some bubble makers....

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm

England team: Hart; Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines; Gerrard (c) Cleverley Wilshere; Walcott Rooney Welbeck

The fact that the players in bold can be regular international players is so depressing.

I'm not blaming Roy btw, he really has nothing else to choose from.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Went by Trafalgar Square on way home tonight. Great scenes, it was like a massive party. To be fair there was no hint of aggression or violence, just a load of Scotch posing for photos in kilts and seeyoujimmy hats for the bemused tourists while boozing away. Bet that away end tonight is a blast. Quality fans, and way better than England's scrotey mutes + lame oompa band.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:54 pm

fat tony wrote:Quality fans, and way better than England's scrotey mutes + lame oompa band.
Very true.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Canny goal by James Morrison, did Hart actually deflect it in?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:Canny goal by James Morrison, did Hart actually deflect it in?

2-0 England then?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Even our 'good' players don't seem very good anymore.

Another Hart clanger, Gerrard playing 50 yard balls to the opposition defence, Rooney totally unfit and disinterested.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Shite as usual...

Why I bother staying interested in England I will never know

442 Football Crazy Admin

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Good debut for Rickie Lambert, 3-2 England

442 Football Crazy Admin

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:12 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:Shite as usual...

Why I bother staying interested in England I will never knowSent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Must be hard for you, Fozz.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

I actually found that one of the more watchable England games in recent years. Yes, Scotland are shite, but Wilshere, Wellbeck and Cleverley played some encouraging football going forward, which we've rarely seen from England recently no matter who the opposition.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Spyman wrote:I actually found that one of the more watchable England games in recent years. Yes, Scotland are shite, but Wilshere, Wellbeck and Cleverley played some encouraging football going forward, which we've rarely seen from England recently no matter who the opposition.

Agreed, I thought we were decent.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Ash_Quaker wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:Shite as usual...

Why I bother staying interested in England I will never knowSent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Must be hard for you, Fozz.
With close to zero attention span, and very little levels of concetration for various reasons, then yes, it is hard for me at times!!!

442 Football Crazy Admin

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Really need to sort the defence out. I'd choose Lescott and Jones over Cahill and Jagielka.
@George_S96

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

WeAreDFC wrote:England team: Hart; Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines; Gerrard (c) Cleverley Wilshere; Walcott Rooney Welbeck

The fact that the players in bold can be regular international players is so depressing.

I'm not blaming Roy btw, he really has nothing else to choose from.
Yeh hate when we have regulars for top 4 champions league sides on the England team. (Bar Walker & Jagielka).

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 am

lo36789 wrote:Yeh hate when we have regulars for top 4 champions league sides on the England team. (Bar Walker & Jagielka).
I was just making a general point about the decline in talent. 10-15 years ago players of that standard would be nowhere near the team.
Spyman wrote:I actually found that one of the more watchable England games in recent years. Yes, Scotland are shite, but Wilshere, Wellbeck and Cleverley played some encouraging football going forward, which we've rarely seen from England recently no matter who the opposition.

I do admit Welbeck was impressive last night. He at least has something about him that makes you think he could develop into a very good player. I just don't see anything special at all in Cleverley though.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

I was just making a general point about the decline in talent. 10-15 years ago players of that standard would be nowhere near the team.
In the last 10-15 years Seth Johnson, Michael Ricketts and Francis Jeffers have all played for England.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 am

Honestly, the constant bashing of the likes of Walcott, Wellbeck, Cleverley etc is really starting to piss me off.

These are young players who all get a regular game in some of the best club sides in European football. Now we might not be as strong as we were a decade ago, and we might not be as strong as Spain, Italy and whoever else, but these are good players who have done the business at club level.

One of my friends who likes to bum the arse off European teams at the expense of all things British, came out with some ridiculous comment about how poor Cleverley was compared to what the likes of Brazil and Spain have in a similar attacking midfield role. That would be the likes of Oscar and Silva who didn't win the Premiership last season.

Now that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, but his response was that Man Utd won the league because of Van Persie's goals and Fergie's management. If picking the best players to play in your team isn't a key part of good management, then I don't know what else it is that Fergie was magically doing to get results.

Somebody above talked about England 15 years ago. That would be about the time Kevin Keegan was in charge and we had Gareth Southgate playing a holding midfield role. As lo has said, there's been plenty of dodgy players play for England over the years.

This team reminds me a little of the late 80s early 90s sides with some pretty average central defenders keeping the seat warm until the next generation are ready. Cahill and Jagielka won't be around long, and are unfortunate to have to follow Terry and Ferdinand who have been two of Europe's best central defenders over the last decade.

Some of Wellbeck's footwork is a different class to what we normally see from English footballers, and if it was a Spaniard or a Brazilian doing similar things, your average joe slag off all things English football fan would be creaming themselves. He needs to add goals to his game, but he's got just about everything else you want in a striker.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:07 am

Spyman wrote:Honestly, the constant bashing of the likes of Walcott, Wellbeck, Cleverley etc is really starting to piss me off.

These are young players who all get a regular game in some of the best club sides in European football. Now we might not be as strong as we were a decade ago, and we might not be as strong as Spain, Italy and whoever else, but these are good players who have done the business at club level.

One of my friends who likes to bum the arse off European teams at the expense of all things British, came out with some ridiculous comment about how poor Cleverley was compared to what the likes of Brazil and Spain have in a similar attacking midfield role. That would be the likes of Oscar and Silva who didn't win the Premiership last season.

Now that's a very simplistic way of looking at it, but his response was that Man Utd won the league because of Van Persie's goals and Fergie's management. If picking the best players to play in your team isn't a key part of good management, then I don't know what else it is that Fergie was magically doing to get results.

Somebody above talked about England 15 years ago. That would be about the time Kevin Keegan was in charge and we had Gareth Southgate playing a holding midfield role. As lo has said, there's been plenty of dodgy players play for England over the years.

This team reminds me a little of the late 80s early 90s sides with some pretty average central defenders keeping the seat warm until the next generation are ready. Cahill and Jagielka won't be around long, and are unfortunate to have to follow Terry and Ferdinand who have been two of Europe's best central defenders over the last decade.

Some of Wellbeck's footwork is a different class to what we normally see from English footballers, and if it was a Spaniard or a Brazilian doing similar things, your average joe slag off all things English football fan would be creaming themselves. He needs to add goals to his game, but he's got just about everything else you want in a striker.
You've just about read my mind with this post.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:29 am

Spyman wrote:Honestly, the constant bashing of the likes of Walcott, Wellbeck, Cleverley etc is really starting to piss me off.

One of the truest things I've read on a forum in months.