Premier League Thread

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Premier League Thread

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Not half as amazing as the midfield Ozil has been in for the last couple of years!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:Ozil to Arsenal for £42m.
@George_S96

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Well Man United followers are in meltdown on my Facebook right now.

Think Fellaini is good business aside from missing out on his buy out clause. I don't know why they feel like they need so much investment. Should be an interesting season.

Some good competition in that top 6 now.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:Well Man United followers are in meltdown on my Facebook right now.

Think Fellaini is good business aside from missing out on his buy out clause. I don't know why they feel like they need so much investment. Should be an interesting season.

Yep, they seem to have strengthened the two positions Moyes identified early on with very decent players. They ,at not have been the absolute two first choices in the end, but then everyone misses out on players, especially when you're trying to improve an already top side.

I'd say across the starting eleven they've got the best tea,/squad, with no obvious weakness. Chelsea look a bit shaky at the back, as do City without Kompany. Arsenal are still missing a physical presence in midfield and a really top striker, as well as any sort of strength or experience on the bench, and I don't know what to make of Spurs yet, but they along with Liverpool now have far more strength in depth on paper than they did a year ago.

United, whatever criticisms people have tried to aim at them over the last week or so, still seem to have quality cover in virtually every position. Jones, Evans, Smalling and Evra/Cointreau covering the back, Giggs, probably Cleverley, in midfield, any number of decent wingers, and then Hernandez and Wellbeck providing back up for Van Persia and Rooney, not to mention these two highly rated youngsters they have coming through (Lingard and that foreign sounding midfielder starting with J).

I fancy Liverpool to really push the top 4 this season. They impressed me no end on Sunday. If they can accommodate Suarez alongside Sturridge and keep him out of trouble, they look strong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Really expected Suarez to end up at Madrid to be honest. Especially with them almost making the Bale money back on the sale of Higuain and Ozil.

That said the net gain they made on those players was utterly decimated by the net loss on Kaka with him leaving on a free transfer.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Further to my earlier post, looks like Real backed out of the Coentreou deal late on, so I suppose United don't look so strong in the reserve left back slot. Not sure Buttner is that great and Evra is on the decline.

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

lo36789 wrote:Well Man United followers are in meltdown on my Facebook right now.

I also agree that Fellaini is superb business. I said to a mate at the start of the season that he would be at Man United not because of Moyes but because he is the closest thing I've seen to Cantona. I also agree with Spyman that Liverpool are a serious team now, not just top 4 but serious contenders for the title.

MCFC Darlo
Team Supported: Man City & Darlo

Post by MCFC Darlo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:Sturridge scoring yet again for Liverpool, whilst Chelsea's expensive, big name strikers continue to struggle to muster a single goal between them.

Not given a chance at either Man City or Chelsea due to their insistence on "big names", yet proving to be better than all of them at the minute.
To be fair on City, he engineered his move away from there. They didn't want to lose him.

Correct,he was a bit of a billy big bollox at the time.
A great player though,and seems to have matured.In last seasons game he refused to celebrate when he scored against City saying he wanted to show respect to the club,this was despite a lot of s*** from some City fans.

Re our insistence on big names I think this was correct in the past for us to get some traction so to speak but think that is changing.What faboulous owners we have,we could have some dick who trys to change the club name or colours FFS.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... evelopment

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 pm

princes town wrote:

I also agree that Fellaini is superb business. I said to a mate at the start of the season that he would be at Man United not because of Moyes but because he is the closest thing I've seen to Cantona. I also agree with Spyman that Liverpool are a serious team now, not just top 4 but serious contenders for the title.
I didn't say Liverpool would be title contenders. Don't get carried away! They look like they're improving now that Rodgers is undoing the mess that Dalglish left, and he's getting the squad in order, bit I can't see them seriously challenging the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

I think we'll see a close top 3, and then another 3 way battle between Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs for fourth. Everton maybe within this group as well if Martinez can get results from his style of play. They’ve got a strong core of players now with the additions they made yesterday as well as keeping Baines.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:01 am

Exactly my thoughts re those 3 way battles and even about Everton. I had almost an identical message up a while back but lost 3G connection before posting.

Best business in transfer window - Everton getting Lukaku
Worst business in transfer window - West Brom paying £6million for Victor Anichebe!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am

princes town wrote:

Are you having a laugh? 27million for Fellaini is not "superb business", and he isn't as good as you are making out.

I'm also thinking that Man Utd might struggle a bit this season, and it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 4th or lower.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 am

Man U may not have strengthened as they wanted too, but fellani is a decent signing. They finished the best part of 20 points ahead of spurs last season. I've no doubt that gap will be much smaller this year, but i can't see them dropping out the top 4 as I've heard some people suggesting.

I agree that the title is between Man U man city and chelsea. It should be a lot tighter than last year, which will be interesting. Similarly, the battle for fourth will be very interesting. Liverpool have strengthened a lot, spurs look to have a more balanced team, although they will miss bale, and arsenal have added ozil to an already quality packed midfield, although they haven't strengthened in the positions they perhaps needed too.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 am

Fellaini has been one of the best midfielders in the premiership for a couple of seasons. Not sure about the Cantona comparison though, and it certainly wasn't excellent business considering the fact that 5 weeks earlier they could've paid £3million less for him!

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Spyman wrote:Fellaini has been one of the best midfielders in the premiership for a couple of seasons. Not sure about the Cantona comparison though, and it certainly wasn't excellent business considering the fact that 5 weeks earlier they could've paid £3million less for him!

I thought Fellaini was excellent at Everton, although I fail to see him making that much of an improvement to the United side. He just doesn't strike me as a United kind of player. He'll probably go on and lead them to the treble now :lol:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

MaddosMilkman wrote:
Spyman wrote:Fellaini has been one of the best midfielders in the premiership for a couple of seasons. Not sure about the Cantona comparison though, and it certainly wasn't excellent business considering the fact that 5 weeks earlier they could've paid £3million less for him!

I thought Fellaini was excellent at Everton, although I fail to see him making that much of an improvement to the United side. He just doesn't strike me as a United kind of player. He'll probably go on and lead them to the treble now :lol:
I think he gives a physical presence in the middle that they've probably lacked since Roy Keane left. If they put him alongside Carrick and Kagawa, they'd have all bases covered.

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Maybe, I guess it depends on what formation Moyes goes with. I'd like to see him playing Kagawa just off RVP, which would probably allow Carrick and Fellaini to sit in the centre.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

MaddosMilkman wrote:Maybe, I guess it depends on what formation Moyes goes with. I'd like to see him playing Kagawa just off RVP, which would probably allow Carrick and Fellaini to sit in the centre.
I reckon they'd be more effective standing up.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
MaddosMilkman wrote:Maybe, I guess it depends on what formation Moyes goes with. I'd like to see him playing Kagawa just off RVP, which would probably allow Carrick and Fellaini to sit in the centre.
I reckon they'd be more effective standing up.
:lol:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:48 pm

To answer your point less cuntishly though: Moyes seems to hate Kagawa even though he's a quality player, so not sure if he'll be given a chance (even though he deserves one).

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:54 pm

I agree - Kagawa is a fantastic player. He'll probably get a chance in one of the League Cup games or meaningless Champions League group games or something like that.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm

I was amazed that Moyes started with Ashley fucking Young the other day yet Kagawa wasn't even on the bench. He was criminally underused last season by Ferguson as well.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:06 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:To answer your point less cuntishly though: Moyes seems to hate Kagawa even though he's a quality player, so not sure if he'll be given a chance (even though he deserves one).
There's a chance he's just not fit isn't there? He played a fair bit for Japan in the summer didn't he?

I thought this would be a big season for Kagawa now that he'd settled. It's still very early days.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Rooney is better than Kagawa playing off the striker. Fellaini and Carrick holding the midfield and then a choice of Kagawa, Welbeck, Zaha, Valencia, Nani & Ashley Young in advanced wide midfield roles.

How will they cope?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:Rooney is better than Kagawa playing off the striker. Fellaini and Carrick holding the midfield and then a choice of Kagawa, Welbeck, Zaha, Valencia, Nani & Ashley Young in advanced wide midfield roles.

How will they cope?
I totally forgot about Rooney! Either way, I think it's going to be close. There's 6 teams who all could realistically finish in the top 4, and the rest of the Prem is looking quite strong too.

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Fellaini is a superb player period and as others have said will bring physical presence to the United midfield. To me he is a classic united type player. Cantona was very skilful but he also had fantastic strength. I think Fellaini will play at the top of a midfield diamond. Kagawa has been a little disappointing but my dad always had a theory that these foreign players improve for a 2nd season. He was superb at Dortmund.

I still think Liverpool are live contenders for the title. Rogers impresses me. They have the backing of serious money from the States and the 2 Manchester
clubs have to deal with new management teams.

Everton look toast to me now.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:44 am

lo36789 wrote:Rooney is better than Kagawa playing off the striker. Fellaini and Carrick holding the midfield and then a choice of Kagawa, Welbeck, Zaha, Valencia, Nani & Ashley Young in advanced wide midfield roles.

How will they cope?
Not forgetting England midfielder Cleverley, Anderson who is a not terrible player, Fletcher if he gets himself sorted.... It really is quite funny watching both Utd fans and non-Utd fans flapping about at the moment about how desperate they are for transfer activity.

Although their start hasn't been mind-blowing, it also hasn't been terrible and they've certainly had worse starts to the season under Ferguson in the past.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 am

Aye well those two are always in the wings if Fellaini or Carrick are injured. A solid defensive base, complimented that with 4 quality attacking players out of a choice of about 10.

I do find Newcastle flapping funny as well. They wanted a striker they got Remy which because it is a loan doesn't seem to count for some reason

The quality in the squad is there, Alan Pardew doesn't speak French though...apparantely Montpellier's manager who won (or maybe came runners up a season or two ago) is unattached. That might help matters!

How much to sever the Pardew contract?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 am

Loans are part and parcel of the game these days, especially for your smaller clubs like Newcastle who don't have the spending power of the big boys. I haven't seen one Everton fan twisting on about Lukaku joining on loan being a negative.

DC

princes town

Post by princes town » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 am

Spyman wrote:Loans are part and parcel of the game these days, especially for your smaller clubs like Newcastle who don't have the spending power of the big boys. I haven't seen one Everton fan twisting on about Lukaku joining on loan being a negative.

Are loans guaranteed for a minimum period or can a club recall at any time?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 am

princes town wrote:
Spyman wrote:Loans are part and parcel of the game these days, especially for your smaller clubs like Newcastle who don't have the spending power of the big boys. I haven't seen one Everton fan twisting on about Lukaku joining on loan being a negative.

Are loans guaranteed for a minimum period or can a club recall at any time?

Not 100% sure, but I think a club cannot recall a long term loan player.

Except a goalkeeper in an emergency.