Premier League Thread

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

WeAreDFC
Team Supported: Darlington

Premier League Thread

Post by WeAreDFC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am

Thought I would start this for discussion now the season is underway.

Seems like nothing much has changed so far. United continuing where they left off, Mourinho's Chelsea getting the job done efficiently, Arsenal woefully short of players, Sunderland still hopeless.

I'm expecting Man City to destroy the Barcodes tonight.

lo36789

Re: Premier League Thread

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am

Out of all the signings this season is was De Bruyne who impressed me most.

A little off the topic but Belgium are really going to be cracking contenders to do well at the WC and the following Euros. The following in the same XI makes for good reading Mignolet/Courtois, Vertongen, Kompany, Vermaelen, Dembele, De Bruyne, Hazard, Fellaini, Miralles, Benteke and Lukaku.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:14 pm

That looks scary. :shock:

Wonder if Fellaini will end up at Man Utd, although I can't see where he would fit in to be honest. Can't really understand why they want Baines either. Good player but seems a bit strange when they have Evra.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 pm

I actually think that the fact many are writing off United this season will probably give them that extra incentive to go and prove people wrong.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Carragher talking a lot of sense on Monday Night Football but he's making my ears bleed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

MaddosMilkman wrote:I actually think that the fact many are writing off United this season will probably give them that extra incentive to go and prove people wrong.
Yep, it astounds me how many people think that they'll go from best team in England to also rams just because of a change in manager, when City also have an unproven manager and Mourinho has to improve the squad to compete.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:That looks scary. :shock:

Wonder if Fellaini will end up at Man Utd, although I can't see where he would fit in to be honest. Can't really understand why they want Baines either. Good player but seems a bit strange when they have Evra.
Evra is getting on and has been in decline for the last two seasons.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:10 pm

And yes, I was thinking just this morning that Belgium have a very strong set of players.

Did you know, in 21 years of the Premiership a team had never fielded 3 Belgians until Spurs did yesterday? A few hours later, Chelsea did it too!

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Back in the Premiership, Fulham are assembling what looks a decent side. Berbatov and Bent could be as good as most pairings if on form, Parker in midfield now and Hangeland at the back.

DC

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ The Toon. Could be a long second half.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Spyman wrote:Back in the Premiership, Fulham are assembling what looks a decent side. Berbatov and Bent could be as good as most pairings if on form, Parker in midfield now and Hangeland at the back.

Will be interesting to see how patient their new owner is. I had Jol down as first manager to go. Hope not though as I like him and Fulham are a good club.

Elsewhere, I think Southampton could be dark horses. Spent a fair bit of money and have a very good squad on paper. I think they could well finish top 8.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:34 pm

United should wait a season and go for Shaw next summer. He looks quality considering he's 17/18. Although when Southampton do sell they'll have all the top clubs after him.
@George_S96

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:United should wait a season and go for Shaw next summer. He looks quality considering he's 17/18. Although when Southampton do sell they'll have all the top clubs after him.
Yep, another off the production line. Southampton are like West Ham were a decade or so ago!

DC

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 am

lo36789 wrote:Out of all the signings this season is was De Bruyne who impressed me most.

A little off the topic but Belgium are really going to be cracking contenders to do well at the WC and the following Euros. The following in the same XI makes for good reading Mignolet/Courtois, Vertongen, Kompany, Vermaelen, Dembele, De Bruyne, Hazard, Fellaini, Miralles, Benteke and Lukaku.
No secret. They're already 6th favourites to win it; ahead of Holland, France, Portugal, Uruguay etc. However I can see them struggling with a tough group due to how they'll be seeded, and lack of big tournament experience - they've got great players, but few of those listed have even gone far in Champions League.

MCFC Darlo
Team Supported: Man City & Darlo

Post by MCFC Darlo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am

Good win for City last night.

We have by far the best squad,as we did last season,but winning the PL is about winning at places like Cardiff this Sunday.

U***** went to Swansea on Sat and showed what is needed,will be interesting to see how they do against top of the table teams though as to me if RVP gets injured they will struggle.

Kompany getting injured is a massive blow,he is our only decent right sided Centre Back.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 am

Spyman wrote:Back in the Premiership, Fulham are assembling what looks a decent side. Berbatov and Bent could be as good as most pairings if on form, Parker in midfield now and Hangeland at the back.

Starting to look good, I was ranting when I renewed my ST that there was little activity but theres a solid backbone appearing now. Need a left back and a bit more quality in midfield and it will be a competitive side.

MCFC Darlo

Post by MCFC Darlo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 am

Jazz Maverick wrote:

Starting to look good, I was ranting when I renewed my ST that there was little activity but theres a solid backbone appearing now. Need a left back and a bit more quality in midfield and it will be a competitive side.
Jol is a very underated Manager

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am

WeAreDFC wrote:

Will be interesting to see how patient their new owner is. I had Jol down as first manager to go. Hope not though as I like him and Fulham are a good club.

Elsewhere, I think Southampton could be dark horses. Spent a fair bit of money and have a very good squad on paper. I think they could well finish top 8.
I have Southampton down to win something this year. Cup competition obviously but they have spent a fortune. I think last season they were he biggest spenders outside of City, they must be running others pretty close this year as well!

I think Evra may be on his way to the Monaco project which will free up the space for Baines.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Looks like Bale to Real almost a done deal for £93m plus Coentrao.

Incredible business by Spurs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Shame for Danny Rose if true he looked good the other day.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:Shame for Danny Rose if true he looked good the other day.
He looked OK, isnt in the same class as Coentrao, and isnt the calibre of player you want starting every week when you have top of the table aspirations.

Too long Spurs have trotted out average players when they're supposed to be harbouring ambitions of making a long term dent in the Top 4.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Luke Shaw was fantastic last season. I know he's signed a long-term contract with Southampton but if he has another good season they'll find it difficult to keep hold of him. If United don't manage to get Baines before September, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a move for him. He's still only seventeen or eighteen isn't he?

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Looks like Willian will sign for Spurs and they are in talks with Roma over Lamela. Haven't seen him play before but hes only 21 and scored 15 goals last season so he must have some talent. Willian looked quality in the champions league vs Chelsea. Franco Baldini has been the signing of the summer for Spurs.
@George_S96

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:21 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:Looks like Bale to Real almost a done deal for £93m plus Coentrao.

Aren't RM still paying off the Modric transfer? Bale will be about forty-eight by the time they've finished paying off the transfer :lol:

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:Looks like Willian will sign for Spurs and they are in talks with Roma over Lamela. Haven't seen him play before but hes only 21 and scored 15 goals last season so he must have some talent. Willian looked quality in the champions league vs Chelsea. Franco Baldini has been the signing of the summer for Spurs.
Lamela is quality. Not so convinced about Willian but there's no doubt that the Spurs squad has improved massively from last season.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:Looks like Willian will sign for Spurs and they are in talks with Roma over Lamela. Haven't seen him play before but hes only 21 and scored 15 goals last season so he must have some talent. Willian looked quality in the champions league vs Chelsea. Franco Baldini has been the signing of the summer for Spurs.
Lamela is one of my favourite players IRL, plus he's young so still has time to get even better. He'd be a perfect replacement for Bale at a fraction of the cost.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 am

MCFC Darlo wrote:Good win for City last night.

We have by far the best squad,as we did last season,but winning the PL is about winning at places like Cardiff this Sunday.

U***** went to Swansea on Sat and showed what is needed,will be interesting to see how they do against top of the table teams though as to me if RVP gets injured they will struggle.

Kompany getting injured is a massive blow,he is our only decent right sided Centre Back.
If they keep Rooney, I don't see why they'd struggle. They were competitive with Rooney, Hernandez and Wellbeck the season City won the league on the final day.

I'd be more concerned about Kompany (and Nastasic) being injured, rather than pinning your hopes on 'what if' RVP gets injured. Leaves City very light at the back. What if Aguero got injured?

I think it'll be close between Utd, City and Chelsea this season and very tough to call.

DC

MCFC Darlo

Post by MCFC Darlo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 am

Spyman wrote:
MCFC Darlo wrote:Good win for City last night.

If they keep Rooney, I don't see why they'd struggle. They were competitive with Rooney, Hernandez and Wellbeck the season City won the league on the final day.

I'd be more concerned about Kompany (and Nastasic) being injured, rather than pinning your hopes on 'what if' RVP gets injured. Leaves City very light at the back. What if Aguero got injured?

I think it'll be close between Utd, City and Chelsea this season and very tough to call.

You are quite right,I have no worries about RVP,Kompany staying fit is a much bigger issue for City.

In the title season it was a walk in the park(1 - 6 anyone) until he got injured around the turn of the year.We nearly blew it but what a fantastic way to win it.

As I said U***** turn up for every game and last season we didnt.

Big weekend coming,can U***** beat a top 4 side (they did not have a good reccord towards the end of last season)and can City go to Cardiff and get points,last season they wouldnt have.No VK either.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:49 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:Looks like Bale to Real almost a done deal for £93m plus Coentrao.

There is incredible business, and then there is that.

I just hope the fee doesn't affect Bale mentally.

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Nicolas Anelka has apparently left West Brom and may consider retiring.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... etely.html