Ireland Job

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MaddosMilkman
Team Supported: Darlington

Ireland Job

Post by MaddosMilkman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Obviously Martin O'Neill is the front-runner but I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Rene Muelensteen or Glenn Hoddle get a show at the job. Both highly respected coaches with plenty of experience.

lo36789

Re: Ireland Job

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Interesting given that O'Neill is Northern Irish. The other two names you plucked out feel a bit random for the Ireland job. Surely the likes of Steve Clarke and Tony Pulis have proved themselves as much recently!?

Maybe Roy Keane fancies a return to the hot seat?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Staunton anyone?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 am

I thought of Keane initially, but I don't think the FAI would risk it - he'd probably alienate too many players.

I reckon they'll go back to Mick "two banks of four" McCarthy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:05 am

I was thinking McCarthy as well. Last time I really remember Ireland doing well. They don't have the players anymore though.

That squad back in 2002 felt like the last one where they had a team of pretty much 'top half' Premier League players. I know that is quite general but I just don't see the same relative quality anymore.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am

Yep, it comes and goes. That team of players are mostly now coming to the end of their careers - Duff, Given, Robbie Keane - they're the names that stand out as having made that Ireland team - real top notch players supplemented by some quite decent ones.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MaddosMilkman

Post by MaddosMilkman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am

lo36789 wrote:Interesting given that O'Neill is Northern Irish. The other two names you plucked out feel a bit random for the Ireland job. Surely the likes of Steve Clarke and Tony Pulis have proved themselves as much recently!?

Maybe Roy Keane fancies a return to the hot seat?
I don't think Steve Clarke would leave West Brom for the Ireland job. If some of the current players are criticizing their current style of play is Pulis really an avenue they want to explore?