No To Hull Tigers

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ruisliptiger
Team Supported: Hull City A.F.C

No To Hull Tigers

Post by ruisliptiger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 pm

"Our clubs are for life, not just for business."

Couldn't have put it better myself. Of course Darlington has had more than it's fair share of problems. Something I can empathise with as we were very nearly on deaths door ourselves almost going out of business several times in the 90's. We can think ourselves very fortunate we didn't have to go through what Darlington have. However, I hope you continue to bounce back and become a stronger closer knit club that can return stronger than ever. Many other clubs have shown that as long as the fanbase is strong, it can be achieved.

Below is a statement I have cut and pasted onto many a forum but acknowledge that Darlington fans can understand this better than most. We want to maintain our history so that it can sit porudly alongside our present and future. Please help us by following the links below and lending your support. Sport & Community first, Business second.

Feel free to take the piss. After all that is one of the reasons English football fans is the best in the world.

However, just remember. once one domino falls the rest will follow. If the footballing world had idly sat back and shrugged when MK Dons was formed it may have become the norm. As it was it was made know in no uncertain way that it was the sort of thing that should never happen again. This is not just a fight for Hull City A.F.C fans. This is a fight for fans of all British footballs teams. This should not be allowed to become the norm. The fans should have the final say on what their club is called. If this is allowed to happen to Hull City A.F.C then what next? Leicester Foxes? Cardiff Dragons? Watford Hornets?

If you are against the idea of Football teams being turned into nothing more than a business then make a small gesture by joining this group. The more support from other Clubs we get then the stronger the campaign will be. There will be opportunities in the future to contribute in some small way.

Do it for the good of all Football

http://www.facebook....lTigers?fref=ts
http://www.citytillwedie.com/

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...-hull-city-afc

Thank you for your time.

fozzovmurton
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: No To Hull Tigers

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 am

ruisliptiger wrote:"Our clubs are for life, not just for business."

Couldn't have put it better myself. Of course Darlington has had more than it's fair share of problems. Something I can empathise with as we were very nearly on deaths door ourselves almost going out of business several times in the 90's. We can think ourselves very fortunate we didn't have to go through what Darlington have. However, I hope you continue to bounce back and become a stronger closer knit club that can return stronger than ever. Many other clubs have shown that as long as the fanbase is strong, it can be achieved.

Below is a statement I have cut and pasted onto many a forum but acknowledge that Darlington fans can understand this better than most. We want to maintain our history so that it can sit porudly alongside our present and future. Please help us by following the links below and lending your support. Sport & Community first, Business second.

Feel free to take the piss. After all that is one of the reasons English football fans is the best in the world.

However, just remember. once one domino falls the rest will follow. If the footballing world had idly sat back and shrugged when MK Dons was formed it may have become the norm. As it was it was made know in no uncertain way that it was the sort of thing that should never happen again. This is not just a fight for Hull City A.F.C fans. This is a fight for fans of all British footballs teams. This should not be allowed to become the norm. The fans should have the final say on what their club is called. If this is allowed to happen to Hull City A.F.C then what next? Leicester Foxes? Cardiff Dragons? Watford Hornets?

If you are against the idea of Football teams being turned into nothing more than a business then make a small gesture by joining this group. The more support from other Clubs we get then the stronger the campaign will be. There will be opportunities in the future to contribute in some small way.

Do it for the good of all Football

http://www.facebook....lTigers?fref=ts
http://www.citytillwedie.com/

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...-hull-city-afc

Thank you for your time.
The Cardiff owner already took the piss by completely changing the club colours, and this Hull City Tigers thing is mad, the question is why, who are the club potentially trying to appeal to by such a change, we aint America who seem to like fancy names attached to themselves...

But football has, whether we like it or not become big business and is at a point where just about anything goes to get one up on the next, it is not about the fans or players playing for the love of the game at the top of the game.

I hope this does not become the norm in British Football
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

ruisliptiger
Team Supported: Hull City A.F.C

Post by ruisliptiger » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 am

It is a dripping tap that could soon turn into a torrent. What makes it worse is that by attempting to appeal to foreign markets, they will lose one of the things that makes us quintessentially English. The thing is people generally support a foreign team to immerse themselves in that culture. You don't long for the day when an NFL or La Liga team changes their name to sound more British. You appreciate the difference and enjoy it.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 am

ruisliptiger wrote:It is a dripping tap that could soon turn into a torrent. What makes it worse is that by attempting to appeal to foreign markets, they will lose one of the things that makes us quintessentially English. The thing is people generally support a foreign team to immerse themselves in that culture. You don't long for the day when an NFL or La Liga team changes their name to sound more British. You appreciate the difference and enjoy it.
New York Rovers, Jacksonville Athletic, Houston Albion just doesn't sound right, and that is because it is not right, there sporting culture is different to ours, what there used to is franchising and the thought there team could move at a moments notice, and we enjoy teams with a history, that are a big part of the community they serve, and have served the same community for decades...

Because of the owners who see £ notes fluttering in front of them, idiotic decisions like this will go further than Hull City, I hope you guys keep the name you already have, from what I have heard your chairman will fight this furiously to get his own way

Best of luck pal
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

I find it ironic that the Hull owner wants to rebrand the club to make it more identifiable. The biggest competition for support in Hull are surely the Rugby League teams. So he's decided to give them an identity that essentially copies what has happened in Rugby League!

If someone mentioned Hull Tigers, I would automatically assume it was a Rugby League team.

Good luck, and I hope common sense prevails.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 am

fozzovmurton wrote:the question is why, who are the club potentially trying to appeal to by such a change, we aint America who seem to like fancy names attached to themselves...`
I think you may well have answered the question yourself there.

the owners of clubs, those that sit on the premier board, the TV companies and those sponsoring do not want to sell the clubs to the UK market, that’s done, its saturated. In fact they subsides tickets to the UK fan to a certain extent, why its so the stadiums look full on TV, when beamed to the US, Australasia, and the far and middle east.

I have been lucky enough to travel a fair few countries and it never ceases to amaze me how much “EPL” football is on TV throughout the world. It why Carrington training ground is known as the AonTraining Centre outside of England, the number of big billboards with the likes of Kagawa pouring out a breakfast cereal in Bangkok or Hernandez in Miami, whilst Liverpool’s official airline is Garuda (Indonesian airlines) who were not that recently banned from EU airspace on safety grounds, its hardly aimed at the UK market.

The people that make the decisions couldn’t care less if this league is played in England, I’m sure they’d rather it was franchised around the world (see the NFL’s aim) and with so many foreign owners taking charge its no wonder that’s the way were going.

Its a terrible shame but the horse bolted ages ago. It does however make me that much prouder and happier to be a Darlo fan and going through the trouble we have suffered just adds to that feeling of belonging and pride. Even though explaining to most why I’m a Darlo fan gets a boring (its cos I’m from there, you wouldn’t think its that hard to understand, but it is these days).

Good luck Hull City, I still remember our final game at boothfery park with fondness, was it simon betts that scored that day?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

Good luck to Hull fans - it's the least we can do after we pooped on their leaving party at Boothferry Park :lol:

Hey, off topic but while we're on about names I did a bit of arm twisting and crawling and had a little bit of success getting the 1883 dropped on the Evostik league site - only in the news articles mind... don't think much can be done about the fixture list and league tables (not yet, anyway!):-

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/darlo-cl ... ome-16382/

Thanks go to Dave Watters who is the Evostik League Media Manager & Press Officer.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
I think you may well have answered the question yourself there.

the owners of clubs, those that sit on the premier board, the TV companies and those sponsoring do not want to sell the clubs to the UK market, that’s done, its saturated. In fact they subsides tickets to the UK fan to a certain extent, why its so the stadiums look full on TV, when beamed to the US, Australasia, and the far and middle east.

I have been lucky enough to travel a fair few countries and it never ceases to amaze me how much “EPL” football is on TV throughout the world. It why Carrington training ground is known as the AonTraining Centre outside of England, the number of big billboards with the likes of Kagawa pouring out a breakfast cereal in Bangkok or Hernandez in Miami, whilst Liverpool’s official airline is Garuda (Indonesian airlines) who were not that recently banned from EU airspace on safety grounds, its hardly aimed at the UK market.

The people that make the decisions couldn’t care less if this league is played in England, I’m sure they’d rather it was franchised around the world (see the NFL’s aim) and with so many foreign owners taking charge its no wonder that’s the way were going.

Its a terrible shame but the horse bolted ages ago. It does however make me that much prouder and happier to be a Darlo fan and going through the trouble we have suffered just adds to that feeling of belonging and pride. Even though explaining to most why I’m a Darlo fan gets a boring (its cos I’m from there, you wouldn’t think its that hard to understand, but it is these days).

Good luck Hull City, I still remember our final game at boothfery park with fondness, was it simon betts that scored that day?
That's far too good a post to go without some acknowledgement. Bravo, BCQ.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 am

Echo what GeordieQuaker says there. Fantastic post by BCQ.

It's all very sad. I don't know when things so dramatically changed. I appreciate SkySports has a lot to do with it, but even then until Abramovich took over at Chelsea I still felt it had a certain 'grittiness' about it.

Despite being an exile I feel closer to Darlington than I ever did before and I really do enjoy going to games now.

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:14 pm

cant see it being too long before the big boys are playing some of their "home games" in foreign countries" a la NFL :(

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:59 am

jimmyht wrote:cant see it being too long before the big boys are playing some of their "home games" in foreign countries" a la NFL :(
With a bit of luck, their airline might go bust & they won't come back. Wellll you can only dream. :roll:

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 pm

It looks like the name change is going ahead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24905905
FORZA DARLO