England to be eliminated at group stage in World Cup!

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England to be eliminated at group stage in World Cup!

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 am

But they were never playing at 2am? They were playing at 9pm which for England was a really good KO time as it will have been quite cool!

Now we are kicking off against an Italy team who pass the ball around for fun at 6pm. We will now be chasing the ball for 90minutes in our opening game in worse conditions.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:48 am

Let them pass the ball around for fun in their own half, which is what they actually do well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am

Well our chances have improved massively with the news that Theo utterly talentless Walcott is out the world cup due to injury...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 am

I think get this WC out of the way and see where we go from there. I don't actually think things look that bad for Russia 2018 as long as the following players develop as expected. I think all of the below are aged 24 or under (with the exception of Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney).

GK - Hart, Butland
DF - Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Kyle Walker, Luke Shaw, Ryan Bennett, John Stones, Martin Kelly
MF - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend (where is he at the moment?), Jack Wilshere, Ross Barkley, Jack Rodwell, Luke Ward-Prowse, Jordan Henderson
ATT - Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck, Jay Rodriguez

Connor Wickham and Nick Powell are another two players who showed a lot of early promise so could come back strong.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:15 pm

I disagree with you about Jay Rodriguez. Decent enough at Premier League level, but he's not international class IMO.

I could be wrong, but I think better players will emerge ahead of him.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I disagree with you about Jay Rodriguez. Decent enough at Premier League level, but he's not international class IMO.

Haha out of that many players then to only have one contentious one is quite an achievement. I wasn't so sure about him last year but have been quite impressed recently.

You might be right and realistically in the next 4 years there will be another couple of players who will burst on to the scene.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 pm

So you think we should take only 2 players over the age of 28 in 2018(if we qualify)?

I'm fairly sure you'll be wrong on that count, and I'd also be surprised if no youngsters who aren't already on the scene break through in the next 4 years - our future is fucked if that's the case!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I disagree with you about Jay Rodriguez. Decent enough at Premier League level, but he's not international class IMO.

Haha out of that many players then to only have one contentious one is quite an achievement.
No I was only talking about Rodriguez in particular. There's a few in there who we could debate about, but it's pointless because it's mere guesswork.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I'd also put the West Brom lad, Berahino, ahead of Rodriguez, especially in 4 years time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Spyman wrote:So you think we should take only 2 players over the age of 28 in 2018(if we qualify)?
Surely that has been our problem? There hasn't been enough quality in that gap between when our golden generation were in their prime and the new youngsters coming through. You look at current England players in the squad (how old they will be in 2018) I'd expect most to be ousted by the names above by that point.

Steven Gerrard (37), Frank Lampard (39), Ashley Cole (37), Leighton Baines (33), Glen Johnson (33), Gary Cahill (32), Phil Jagielka (35), Michael Carrick (36), Aaron Lennon (30), James Milner (32).

Adam Lallana/Adam Johnson possibly, who else can you actually think aged 25-28 now that will be first team England class in 4 years time? I really can't think of many, at least none that are even better than the younger players now never mind in 4 years time.

I am sure there will be a youngster breaking through as well, alternatively we just need to put lots of effort into convincing Adnan Januzaj that he is English really...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Well for starters there'll be a couple of players who hit form or peak slightly later who may well fall within that bracket. Leighton Baines wasn't considered an England prospect in his early twenties. Cahill and Jagielka the same.

I don't see why Milner wouldn't still be around - a bit of a Marmite player but one I can see being a stayer based on the way he plays. On the basis that Cole is still going strong at 33, then Baines and Johnson could conceivably still be around the squad.

There is an article from 2007, I think it is the Mail or Express, that gets brought up every now and then with the England team for 2014 as they saw it back then. Of the players in the team they suggested, I think only Walcott is currently an England player. Most don't play top flight football and some don't play football at all anymore. They didn't even include Rooney! It highlights a couple of things:

a) the common mistake of ignoring current players who will still be around in the future, albeit a bit older - successful international teams aren't made of players in their early/mid twenties.
b) 4 years, let alone 7, is a long time in football. Some players peak early, some peak late. Some go on forever and some have one season in the spotlight.

If you'd asked me 7 years ago, I'd probably have thought Michael Owen would still be around the England squad.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:07 pm

It is complete guess work obviously but either way aren't outside the realms of possibility.

How old were the majority of Germany's squad going into 2006 for instance? How old are Belgium's current crop.

I think my attempt at 2014 sounds better than the Mail's then. I did it drunk on a train following the game we were knocked out by the Germans in 2010. It is on an old ipad.

I know I had Andy Carroll, Phil Jones and Martin Kelly in there for starters!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:It is complete guess work obviously but either way aren't outside the realms of possibility.

How old were the majority of Germany's squad going into 2006 for instance? How old are Belgium's current crop.

I think my attempt at 2014 sounds better than the Mail's then. I did it drunk on a train following the game we were knocked out by the Germans in 2010. It is on an old ipad.

I know I had Andy Carroll, Phil Jones and Martin Kelly in there for starters!
Germany 2006? Or do you mean 2010?

If you mean 2006, that was a pretty old squad. Lehmann and Kahn, Nowotny, Neuville, Ballack, Frings.

If you mean 2010, that was a young squad. Only 3 players over 30 and 1 of those was a reserve keeper. Possibly similar to our squad going in to 2014 I suppose.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Yep meant 2010 and that was kind of the point I was making, it wouldn't be that odd not to have that many older players - particularly if your younger players are better!