Steve Clarke

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Steve Clarke

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:59 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25385000

Surely up there with some of the most undeserved sackings ever?

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Re: Steve Clarke

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I think so. Although a lot of WBA fans are defending the decision. from the outside looking in, it seems very harsh

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:06 pm

And now AVB is sacked!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:25 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:And now AVB is sacked!
AVB to West Brom?

Just looked at his record

Academica 14/10/2009 - 02/06/2010 (8 months)
Porto 02/06/2010 - 21/06/2011 (12 months)
Chelsea 22/06/2011 - 04/03/2012 (9 months)
Tottenham 03/07/2012 - 16/12/2013 (17 months)

I don't know if it says more about the nature of the job or the person but he has never been in the same job on Christmas day in consecutive years.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:00 pm

lo36789 wrote:
AVB to West Brom?

I don't know if it says more about the nature of the job or the person but he has never been in the same job on Christmas day in consecutive years.
Well those stats are misleading because he left Academica and Porto because he was successful and therefore headhunted, whereas Chelsea and Tottenham sacked him.

Also, I heard it was Baldini signing all these players, and that they were basically signed and then dumped on AVB to use as best he could. And then AVB gets all the blame and is judged differently because of all the money spent, even when he apparently had very little say in it.

His record was decent anyways: they're still close to the top and he should have been given to the end of the season at least. Rodgers didn't do particularly amazingly last season with Liverpool, yet he was given time, and now look at them.
Last edited by DarloOnTheUp on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Precisely. Particularly with all these new players, his signings or not, he needed time to get the balance right.

Rodgers is a prime example, as you say. He took a while to figure out the balance, but he's got it right now and Liverpool look genuine contenders if Sairez stays fit and happy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Lets be honest AVB was saved last year by Bale. Without him Spurs would have been around 8th at best. AVB was clearly unhappy at the club and the football has been horrible. It was probably best to let him go now when the season can still be saved rather than later. It really says something when one player (Suarez) has scored more goals than an entire team has, and he has played 5 games less.

People make him out as some tactical genius but he's not. Who in their right mind plays a high defensive line with Dawson? Tempo was far to slow and everyone passed it sideways or backwards. Played for to negative, cannot believe either Holtby or Eriksen didn't start considering the game was at WHL.

Apparently Levy is in talks with De Boer and Capello. Both would be interesting seeing as De Boer has already won 3 championships with Ajax and has previously worked with Vertonghen and Eriksen. He has also beaten some big teams in the champions league with Man City and Barcelona coming to mind. Could also improve the academy. Capello (who was at the game yesterday) on the other hand has worked with Baldini at almost every club/ nation and he has got a great record but would he leave Russia in a world cup year?
@George_S96

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:the football has been horrible.
No it hasn't.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm

The stats weren't meant to lead to anywhere to be honest. Realise that he cost Chelsea £13m to get him from Porto.

What I will say is has he proved himself yet!? He has arguably now spent more time underperforming than he has performing.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:The stats weren't meant to lead to anywhere to be honest. Realise that he cost Chelsea £13m to get him from Porto.

What I will say is has he proved himself yet!? He has arguably now spent more time underperforming than he has performing.
He won a treble in his first season with Porto, which included the Europa Cup.

I just feel that he hasn't been given enough time at Chelsea OR Tottenham. I'm not going to make assumptions and say he definitely will have succeeded at either if given more time, but either way, both chairmen have been too expectant on instant success and too critical on his actual achievements.

Tottenham are still only 8 points from the top, after all. And barring two freak results, they've been playing good football. Not perfect, and with room for improvement, but good enough to show that the potential is there for greatness.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:Lets be honest AVB was saved last year by Bale. Without him Spurs would have been around 8th at best. AVB was clearly unhappy at the club and the football has been horrible. It was probably best to let him go now when the season can still be saved rather than later. It really says something when one player (Suarez) has scored more goals than an entire team has, and he has played 5 games less.

People make him out as some tactical genius but he's not. Who in their right mind plays a high defensive line with Dawson? Tempo was far to slow and everyone passed it sideways or backwards. Played for to negative, cannot believe either Holtby or Eriksen didn't start considering the game was at WHL.

Apparently Levy is in talks with De Boer and Capello. Both would be interesting seeing as De Boer has already won 3 championships with Ajax and has previously worked with Vertonghen and Eriksen. He has also beaten some big teams in the champions league with Man City and Barcelona coming to mind. Could also improve the academy. Capello (who was at the game yesterday) on the other hand has worked with Baldini at almost every club/ nation and he has got a great record but would he leave Russia in a world cup year?
And what is wrong with Spurs finishing 8th? A slightly below par season by their standards, but hardly disastrous. I remember several years where they scraped with relegation for most of the year.

There are too many clubs these days that think they have a right to be competing for the champions league, when very few of them have invested the time in to a proper infrastructure to put them in a position to do so.

For all that your average non Man Utd supporter has an irrational dislike of Man Utd, if they do stick by Moyes for a couple of years then they'll have shown themselves to be one of the last clubs with any dignity in professional football.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:14 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:He won a treble in his first season with Porto, which included the Europa Cup.

I just feel that he hasn't been given enough time at Chelsea OR Tottenham. I'm not going to make assumptions and say he definitely will have succeeded at either if given more time, but either way, both chairmen have been too expectant on instant success and too critical on his actual achievements.
People are asking for time for him to allow his squad to gel together, at the time he has had success hasn't been with his squad.

The squad he won the European Cup wasn't built by him. The main man Falcao had already been there for a season. The season after he left Porto they won the domestic double again anyway.

He is massively helped because of the comparisons with Jose Mourinho in my opinion. He hasn't done anything that has overly impressed me tactically that said it is difficult to criticise a manager these days, as so few seem to have power over transfers. What can you do if you are given a squad and told to make it work!?

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:33 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
AVB to West Brom?

Well those stats are misleading because he left Academica and Porto because he was successful and therefore headhunted, whereas Chelsea and Tottenham sacked him.

Also, I heard it was Baldini signing all these players, and that they were basically signed and then dumped on AVB to use as best he could. And then AVB gets all the blame and is judged differently because of all the money spent, even when he apparently had very little say in it.

His record was decent anyways: they're still close to the top and he should have been given to the end of the season at least. Rodgers didn't do particularly amazingly last season with Liverpool, yet he was given time, and now look at them.
Interesting comparison to Brendon Rodgers, both are in different job roles! At Liverpool BR is the manager, has a say in who is signed and sold, whereas AVB was head coach at Spurs.

The head coach role is something we do not see a lot of in this country (although it seems to be getting popular with chairmen) and is used an lot in Italy/Spain/France. The likes of AVB at Spurs, Steve Clarke at WBA and PDC/GP at Sunderland dont get any say in the players signed and sold, this is down to the Director of Football. The head coaches role is as it says, to coach the players he is given an pick the team. It is very easy for the chairman/owner to blame and sack the head coach, however, the big problem is not the issue that is resolved.