Celtic Nation

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Celtic Nation

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Where have they found their fans from?

Talk about creating a football club, last season they were getting 27 people and this year they have had over 700 at some games.

Where have they pulled them in from? Are they lapsed Carlisle fans or is it the Celtic influence (I have seen some reference to mini hoops/mini Bhoys) this year.

Quakerz

Re: Celtic Nation

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 pm

A few actual Celtic fans have taken them under their wing - which was the idea all along - and bus it to some games.

Carlisle is quite a remote city, and Carlisle United have a much bigger fanbase than Darlo due to that. Some of those fans have probably tried Celtic Nation now they're all over the papers, and there are few other football options if they want something different to Carlisle United.

Quite a few of their matches have been only £2 in as well.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Workington's goalie defected to Celtic Nation at the start of the season. Dropping down the leagues for a better pay packet.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 pm

The idea of their name change, according to their chairman, was to attract the large number of Catholics living in Carlisle. Recently, the entry fee policy is to "pay what you deem fit" .... In other words you can get in for nowt if you want to .... Added to the fact that Carlisle United currently have a crap side ..... A bit of local positive PR spin in the Evening Paper and Hence the increase.

Gretna MK II in my eyes and it'll last about as long if they're lucky!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 pm

The idea of their name change, according to their chairman, was to attract the large number of Catholics living in Carlisle. Recently, the entry fee policy is to "pay what you deem fit" .... In other words you can get in for nowt if you want to .... Added to the fact that Carlisle United currently have a crap side ..... A bit of local positive PR spin in the Evening Paper and Hence the increase.

Gretna MK II in my eyes and it'll last about as long if they're lucky!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

United fans get in cheap if they are away.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Got a hell of a crowd yesterday according to NLP

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:13 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:Got a hell of a crowd yesterday according to NLP

Yes, just over 1000.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I think the entry was very cheap, Spennymoor laid on free coaches aswell I believe.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 pm

I think just saying it is cheap is a bit unfair on what they have achieved. They are extremely active on twitter and seem to be building a following.

They have consistently had better crowds than last season. I don't think we would have the same success if we dropped ticket price. We would get a jump in week 1 then week 2 would be back to normal but with reduced revenues.

They are obviously offering good value entertainment at a fair price, I am sure the uplift in revenues will benefit them as well!

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 pm

I personally think Spenny offering free travel at a title contest explain such a big crowd for this one of match. Also offering cheap entry of £2 on occasions is surely enough to get a few people interested.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm

love it! wrote:I personally think Spenny offering free travel at a title contest explain such a big crowd for this one of match. Also offering cheap entry of £2 on occasions is surely enough to get a few people interested.
They have only had a crowd less than 100 on one occasion this season. They only had a crowd over 100 on 3 occasions last season. On 11/20 games occasions they have beaten the crowd which they had when they played us last season.

over 1,000 might be a one off, it is undeniable they have managed to increase the size of their fan base quite considerably.

They had an average of 61.83 last season (if you took us out of the equation it must be below 50 - just worked it out 50.8). This season (not including the crowd against Spennymoor) they have averaged 340. A 7 fold increase is quite good going.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 am

love it! wrote:I personally think Spenny offering free travel at a title contest explain such a big crowd for this one of match. Also offering cheap entry of £2 on occasions is surely enough to get a few people interested.

350 from Spenny.

Darlo_Fanatic

Post by Darlo_Fanatic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 pm

I went to the Cumberland Cup Semi Final game yesterday between Celtic Nation and Penrith. The game had around 400 fans turn, which considering for a tinpot trophy on a Tuesday with Champions League on the go isn't a bad following. The football itself wasn't bad, a few of the Nation players look like their should be playing in higher leagues. Celtic Nation will play Keswick or Aspatria in the final at Brunton Park. The club think they can get a few thousand fans turn up for it.

Heard last night too that the club could turn professional at the end of the season too.
Interesting times for them.
DARLO FANATIC

Supporting DARLO might be a heartache but it's a heartache I chose to have.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Darlo_Fanatic wrote:I went to the Cumberland Cup Semi Final game yesterday between Celtic Nation and Penrith. The game had around 400 fans turn, which considering for a tinpot trophy on a Tuesday with Champions League on the go isn't a bad following. The football itself wasn't bad, a few of the Nation players look like their should be playing in higher leagues.
That is all very good and well done to them. They do have some lads that were/are FL quality err the lad from Carlisle in particular.
Darlo_Fanatic wrote:Heard last night too that the club could turn professional at the end of the season too.
Then you say that and they become everything that is wrong with football once again!