Luke Chadwick, MK Dons and Cambridge United

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Luke Chadwick, MK Dons and Cambridge United

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 am

I just saw this article on football 365 and thought it a nice story to share.

It might not have come to all your readers' attention (I don't think it's on your site) but I think it is worth mentioning the legendary career choice recently made by one Luke Chadwick (yes, that one).

Now, to get you up to speed, after leaving Man United and playing for Norwich, Stoke, West Ham, he ended up at MK Dons in League 1. He has played 203 times for them up to the age of 33. He still had a year or so of a two year contract left and he seemed to be well thought of. I expect he could have happily played out his contract there. (I can't guarantee I won't get some angry MK Don responses saying that they hated him because I admit I have not fully researched this!)

However, instead of that, he has chosen to approach his boyhood heroes and join his home town club on loan. Further, that home town club is the (not so) mighty Cambridge United. Apparently, that is his dream as detailed by MK Dons' boss, Karl Robinson:

"He doesn't want to let the chairman, the fans or me down but he said that while he's still got the legs he wants to fulfil his dream, which is to play for Cambridge United."

This is a man who has played for Manchester United and England under 21's! He has won the Premier League. Despite all this, his dream is the same as mine - to play for the mighty U's at the Abbey. The only difference between us is that my approach to the club has been sadly ignored repeatedly for the last 15 years. He is my new hero. Chapeau, Luke!

In addition, MK Dons (who don't always get the best press) have helped out with his wages as detailed by Jez George (Cambridge Director of Football): "Because he has done such good service for them, they've helped to make it possible financially by agreeing to subsidise it". How nice is that! Chapeau, MK Dons!

In a football world which has become cynical and money driven - this is the story you have all been waiting for.

So, the Hollywood ending that we're building towards is that the U's lie second in the Conference with 10 games to go behind a seemingly insurmountable Luton side. We watch with baited breath (well, I do - some of your readers have probably dozed off by now).

There's also the sideline of a FA Trophy final on Sunday. Sadly, Luke is not eligible for that - but I reckon he'll be there wrapped in his flag with the rest of us.

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Luke Chadwick, MK Dons and Cambridge United

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:24 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I just saw this article on football 365 and thought it a nice story to share.

It might not have come to all your readers' attention (I don't think it's on your site) but I think it is worth mentioning the legendary career choice recently made by one Luke Chadwick (yes, that one).

Now, to get you up to speed, after leaving Man United and playing for Norwich, Stoke, West Ham, he ended up at MK Dons in League 1. He has played 203 times for them up to the age of 33. He still had a year or so of a two year contract left and he seemed to be well thought of. I expect he could have happily played out his contract there. (I can't guarantee I won't get some angry MK Don responses saying that they hated him because I admit I have not fully researched this!)

However, instead of that, he has chosen to approach his boyhood heroes and join his home town club on loan. Further, that home town club is the (not so) mighty Cambridge United. Apparently, that is his dream as detailed by MK Dons' boss, Karl Robinson:

"He doesn't want to let the chairman, the fans or me down but he said that while he's still got the legs he wants to fulfil his dream, which is to play for Cambridge United."

This is a man who has played for Manchester United and England under 21's! He has won the Premier League. Despite all this, his dream is the same as mine - to play for the mighty U's at the Abbey. The only difference between us is that my approach to the club has been sadly ignored repeatedly for the last 15 years. He is my new hero. Chapeau, Luke!

In addition, MK Dons (who don't always get the best press) have helped out with his wages as detailed by Jez George (Cambridge Director of Football): "Because he has done such good service for them, they've helped to make it possible financially by agreeing to subsidise it". How nice is that! Chapeau, MK Dons!
In a football world which has become cynical and money driven - this is the story you have all been waiting for.

So, the Hollywood ending that we're building towards is that the U's lie second in the Conference with 10 games to go behind a seemingly insurmountable Luton side. We watch with baited breath (well, I do - some of your readers have probably dozed off by now).

There's also the sideline of a FA Trophy final on Sunday. Sadly, Luke is not eligible for that - but I reckon he'll be there wrapped in his flag with the rest of us.
So hang on, despite it being his life-long dream, and having earned a fair whack during a pretty decent 12-15 years a professional footballer, he still expects his MK Dons salary to be paid in full?

A true fairy tale!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC