Can Juan Mata win the Premier League this season?

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Can Juan Mata win the Premier League this season?

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am

I tried to google the answer but couldn't find it, not sure if anyone is up on their knowledge of this or can think of a previous circumstance where this has happened.

Juan Mata played 11 Premier League games for Chelsea this season before his move to Manchester United. I recall that eligibility for a Premier League winners medal is 10 appearances, do you still have to be registered to that club at the end of the season in order to get a medal?

Spyman

Re: Can Juan Mata win the Premier League this season?

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:I tried to google the answer but couldn't find it, not sure if anyone is up on their knowledge of this or can think of a previous circumstance where this has happened.

Juan Mata played 11 Premier League games for Chelsea this season before his move to Manchester United. I recall that eligibility for a Premier League winners medal is 10 appearances, do you still have to be registered to that club at the end of the season in order to get a medal?
Of course you do. You have to be playing for a club when they win the league to be part of a league winning team.

A bit like suggesting a player plays in World Cup qualifying but doesn't get in the squad for the finals, but still gets a winners medal if the team win.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm

lo36789 wrote:I tried to google the answer but couldn't find it, not sure if anyone is up on their knowledge of this or can think of a previous circumstance where this has happened.

Yes he can!

It is up to the club as to who receives a medal. And it is now only 5 appearances required to qualify.

The club will receive 40 medals to give out to the manager and whichever players it chooses.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

Yes he can!

It is up to the club as to who receives a medal. And it is now only 5 appearances required to qualify.

The club will receive 40 medals to give out to the manager and whichever players it chooses.
Haha that's not even enough to cover the number of players Chelsea have out on loan at the moment is it?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

Yes he can!

Haha that's not even enough to cover the number of players Chelsea have out on loan at the moment is it?

They can apply to the board for additional medals if the amount of players qualifying exceeds 39.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:48 pm

The rule covering this is C.13. In the Premier league handbook.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:

Yes he can!

Not how I read it.

The League Champions shall further receive 40 commemorative medals to be presented by the Club to its Manager and to such of its Players and Officials as it thinks fit provided that any Player who has entered the field of play in a minimum of 5 of its League Matches that Season shall receive from the Club a commemorative medal. Additional medals may only be presented with the consent of the Board which shall only be given if the total number of Players who have entered the field of play that Season in a minimum of 5 of the Club’s League Matches exceeds 39

It says 'its players'. 'It' being possessive. Juan Mata is not one of Chelsea's players so they couldn't give him a medal if they won the league.

Players out on loan still belong to the club, so are a different matter.

John Terry would join in the celebration regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm

That could be right.

I don't know how the rules in previous seasons were worded, or if they have changed, but Mark Lawrenson was given a League Division 1 winners medal in the 1987/88 season.