sacked

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

sacked

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:02 am

Man u sacked manager with a10,million, payoff who else would get that.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Re: sacked

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 am

It seems to have been coming, I tend to feel for the guy. It was always going to be an impossible job to take over from Alex and I always thought you would be much better being the second to take charge after Fergie.

Be interesting who they go for, Van Gaal seems to be the steady hand, whilst Simone is the flavor of the month and a bigger risk.

I'm not sure about the payoff. Plenty of rumors saying he is only entitled to 1 years salary as he did not qualify for the champions league.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:11 am

onewayup wrote:who else would get that.
Various top level Bankers :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am

onewayup wrote:Man u sacked manager with a10,million, payoff who else would get that.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Articles I've read have stated one years salary as targets haven't been met, though that's still 4 million

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:51 am

Giggs has to let go of the reigns first - I think it would be advisable that he does though. If he wins the next two games he needs to say "I don't want the job...yet".

Van Gaal would be a good stop gap to Giggs getting it full time. Simone is a little young to do that.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:54 am

United should be already preparing a helicopter full of cash to send to Dortmund for Jurgen Klopp.
Northern League Champions 2013

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 am

onewayup wrote:Man u sacked manager with a10,million, payoff who else would get that.
A banker?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

TSQuaker wrote:United should be already preparing a helicopter full of cash to send to Dortmund for Jurgen Klopp.
Klopp has ruled himself out (for whats its worth), im not sure he would be the man though. I do like what Simone has done in Madrid, I just really don't like him much.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I do like what Simone has done in Madrid, I just really don't like him much.
I am not sure Simone will manage in England.

It was a long time ago and it was Beckham's fault, but still that is the first thing I think about when I think of Diego Simone. I am sure others are the same.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:57 am

Guardiola has been mentioned...would he leave München though

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:39 am

lo36789 wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I do like what Simone has done in Madrid, I just really don't like him much.

It was a long time ago and it was Beckham's fault, but still that is the first thing I think about when I think of Diego Simone. I am sure others are the same.
I agree, its not just that Argentinians don't tend to like the English much and he may be very happy in the sunnier climes of Madrid than the rain of Manchester.

Its going to be interesting. i think they'll go for Van Gaal, safe pair of hands and all that

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:56 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I agree, its not just that Argentinians don't tend to like the English much and he may be very happy in the sunnier climes of Madrid than the rain of Manchester.

Its going to be interesting. i think they'll go for Van Gaal, safe pair of hands and all that
I think it'll be Van Gaal. His track records is pretty impressive, he probably has 4 years then a final World Cup left in him. That is 4 years to slowly hand the reigns over to Ryan Giggs who will be 45 at that point.

Howard Webb is available at 500-1, terrible odds really...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Surprised on one hand, and not on the other.

I think if you're going to stand by your appointment and give him time to turn things round, you do it properly, ie give him until midway through next season when he's had time to decide what works, what doesn't, strengthen where he thinks it's needed etc.

If they're going to join the 90 other knee-jerkers in the football league (only Arsenal now exempt from that club, very sad state of affairs), then why didn't they do it 3-4 months ago when it was clear Utd wouldn't make the top 4? They might argue that they didn't want to destabilise the Champions League campaign, but to be honest they were never likely to win it so I wouldn't buy that arguement.

If they do go for Van Gaal, they'll be in a real predicament. He's with Holland until mid-July, and his attention will be on putting his squad together for the World Cup, not on planning his transfer targets for Man Utd. He won't be able to fully focus on the rebuild until pre-season, which gives him next to no time to assess who he thinks he can work with and who he needs to move on. Given the squad tehy have, there are undoubtedly some talented players who have underperformed this year but are capable of being part of a very good team - does he stick with them? If so, which ones?

Either that, or they trust Woodward to bring in some big names but you then risk th new manager not wanting them. More money down the drain and another wasted season.

Whoever they bring in needs to be someone who can start identifying targets right away - another reason why I find the timing of the sacknig strange, because all the talk in recent weeks was that Moyes had already identified his targets and had agreements in place with one or two to come in before the World Cup.

One thing is for sure - Mourinho must be smarting that they turned him down last year!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Spyman wrote:If they're going to join the 90 other knee-jerkers in the football league (only Arsenal now exempt from that club, very sad state of affairs), then why didn't they do it 3-4 months ago when it was clear Utd wouldn't make the top 4? They might argue that they didn't want to destabilise the Champions League campaign, but to be honest they were never likely to win it so I wouldn't buy that arguement.
Seems that there was a clause that restricts his pay out if her didn't get a top 4 finish. I believe that this was only confirmed after this weekend.

I think they should have given him the summer window but were they tied in to 6 years if they did that? I don't know.

If Van Gaal does go could this finally be the year that Man United get Wesley Sneijder?

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Seen on one site, think it was Stan James, there offering 18/1 to dust off the old hairdryer

442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:04 pm

No way Ferguson will go back. It would only be short term and with the rebuild needed, they need to appoint someone who they'll allow to see it through.

I've not seen any official statement on exactly what they payout is and what targets needed to be met to trigger it, but I'd assume they were season-by-season targets and if top 4 was the target this year to gaurantee him the full payout, then I'd assume something similar for next season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Spyman wrote:No way Ferguson will go back. It would only be short term and with the rebuild needed, they need to appoint someone who they'll allow to see it through.
I think by appointing Giggs they have already shown a hand though. Giggs is seemingly a future man u manager but he is too inexperienced now and need to learn from somebody else.

I don't think they really know what they want to do. Some of the people the bookies are advertising odds for is quite funny.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:47 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:No way Ferguson will go back. It would only be short term and with the rebuild needed, they need to appoint someone who they'll allow to see it through.
I think by appointing Giggs they have already shown a hand though. Giggs is seemingly a future man u manager but he is too inexperienced now and need to learn from somebody else.

I don't think they really know what they want to do. Some of the people the bookies are advertising odds for is quite funny.
And someone like Van Gaal would be in a good position to mentor/teach Giggs

442 Football Crazy Admin

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:

I don't think they'd have sacked him now if they didn't have a good idea of who they are going for next. In fact I'd be surprised if it isn't already lined up. Why spend the clsoe season trying to secure a manager when your squad needs a facelift?

They'll appoint someone as soon as the last game is played. If it's Van Gaal then I expect it will be with Giggs as assistant, and with some responsibility to recruit players and then with a view to him taking over in 3 or 4 years when Van Gaal retires.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Think you might be right Spyman.

Wonder where this leaves Giggs interest in Salford City he'll probably have enough on his plate!

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm

What about Ancelotti? The rumours are that he'll be leaving Real Madrid in the summer, and he's got experience in the Premier League.
Northern League Champions 2013

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm

TSQuaker wrote:What about Ancelotti? The rumours are that he'll be leaving Real Madrid in the summer, and he's got experience in the Premier League.
Not sure. Joe Kinnear has been out of the papers for a while...

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I See Jurgen Klopp has ruled himself out

Everytime I see hear his name or see on telly I instantly think of Hans Geering (Sam Kelly) in 'Allo 'Allo

m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDDa183URE&ctp=C ... =mv-google

442 Football Crazy Admin

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 am

I keep flipping between two schools of thought. a) they know who they want and he is lined up b) they simply have no clue.

I think I am missing something with Ryan Giggs. Its not like he took on a lead role under Sir Alex and I just don't see him as a football manager. I have never really see him lead a team, discuss tactics or appear to be a very clever guy, can you see him competing with Arsene, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Simone, Conte, Pep, Pulis :) . I just don't see it.

I also don't really buy into the idea of a mentor role, how often does that actually work, can someone give me any examples? (excluding the Liverpool boot room era). I just can't see a manger coming in 'lasting' 4 years then handing it over to some one with little no experience. Few manager last 4 years these days.

I cant see Man U taking a gamble on a young manager (Klopp, Simone, Martinez?) so its hard to see past Van Gaal and for all he has the World Cup in truth all the United players will be on holiday or competing so I don't think him being there with Holland really causes a huge issue. I can tell you what United need, two full backs, 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders, and couple of wingers.

There is also the Van Gaal / Van Persie link, I have no clue if they got on or not, but that may have a bearing on matters and I suspect Rooney is happy he got his contract sorted as I can't see a foreign coach pandering him the way Moyes did.

It's also a dream for a manager to get involved with this merry go round of jobs, if Ancelott were to move how much will he have made in the past few seasons on swapping roles, and in jobs that take you from Milan, London, Paris and Madrid... some shocking places to work there.

I'm not man united fan but do find it all very interesting. The money involved is frightening, are there any other jobs where you appoint someone to be in charge of a company with the figures we are talking because they have an affinity to the club. People mentioned bankers earlier, would I get a shout at Natwest CEO as I have banked there since i was 3 and have all the pigs. ha ha.

Curiously anyone want to take a guess at where Moyes will end up next? Its amazing how his stock has fallen. This time last year seen as a top manager, know I think most clubs would see him as a super defensive manager with an eye for a bargain when no money is available. Big Sam esk.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I'm not man united fan but do find it all very interesting. The money involved is frightening, are there any other jobs where you appoint someone to be in charge of a company with the figures we are talking because they have an affinity to the club. People mentioned bankers earlier, would I get a shout at Natwest CEO as I have banked there since i was 3 and have all the pigs. ha ha.
No but if you had worked in a branch for 20+ years then you might fancy your chances for the interim manager role, then an assistant manager role on the appointment of a full time manager? The equivalent of your scenario is if they picked a long standing season ticket holder.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I also don't really buy into the idea of a mentor role, how often does that actually work, can someone give me any examples?
Depends what you define by being mentored. Jose Mourinho learnt from Bobby Robson, Brendan Rodgers learnt from Mourinho. They weren't designated as the next leader but if you have the right experience to learn off you stand a fighting chance.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I think I am missing something with Ryan Giggs. Its not like he took on a lead role under Sir Alex and I just don't see him as a football manager. I have never really see him lead a team, discuss tactics or appear to be a very clever guy
Well that confirms that you aren't an ex-Manchester United player? Why would you have heard Ryan Giggs discuss tactics?
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Curiously anyone want to take a guess at where Moyes will end up next?
Think he will be at Newcastle or Celtic. Pardew is on borrowed time there now and it would be a decent appointment to get back into it. Neil Lennon seems to be linked with most jobs in England these days if he did end up with one I could see Moyes replacing him at Celtic.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

lo36789 wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I'm not man united fan but do find it all very interesting. The money involved is frightening, are there any other jobs where you appoint someone to be in charge of a company with the figures we are talking because they have an affinity to the club. People mentioned bankers earlier, would I get a shout at Natwest CEO as I have banked there since i was 3 and have all the pigs. ha ha.
No but if you had worked in a branch for 20+ years then you might fancy your chances for the interim manager role, then an assistant manager role on the appointment of a full time manager? The equivalent of your scenario is if they picked a long standing season ticket holder.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I also don't really buy into the idea of a mentor role, how often does that actually work, can someone give me any examples?
Depends what you define by being mentored. Jose Mourinho learnt from Bobby Robson, Brendan Rodgers learnt from Mourinho. They weren't designated as the next leader but if you have the right experience to learn off you stand a fighting chance.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I think I am missing something with Ryan Giggs. Its not like he took on a lead role under Sir Alex and I just don't see him as a football manager. I have never really see him lead a team, discuss tactics or appear to be a very clever guy
Well that confirms that you aren't an ex-Manchester United player? Why would you have heard Ryan Giggs discuss tactics?
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Curiously anyone want to take a guess at where Moyes will end up next?
Think he will be at Newcastle or Celtic. Pardew is on borrowed time there now and it would be a decent appointment to get back into it. Neil Lennon seems to be linked with most jobs in England these days if he did end up with one I could see Moyes replacing him at Celtic.
Or Spurs perhaps?

442 Football Crazy Admin

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:10 am

fozzovmurton wrote:Or Spurs perhaps?
Think Spurs think they are too superior for Man United's reject. Especially as they think/thought they have/had Louis Van Gaal lined up.

I reckon Spurs could go for an international manager for after the WC. Big Phil possibly?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 am

Taking things quite literally there lo36789.

You can twist the Natwest example however you like and think its clear it was said in jest.

In terms of mentoring, I think others have tried to define this for me ie taking an experienced manager and putting a younger man as his assistant to take over from said older manager. Not appointing an assistant to learn the job then leave for a competitor/other job. Its a great sounding idea, I just don't think it works, I can't think of an example in recent times within the big leagues with an assistant stepping up at the same club to be a successful manager. Klinsmann and Low just sprang to mind although international and club football are different.

I have seen Vincent Kompany & Fernandinho talk tactics in the past couple of months yet I never made the grade at City nor am I Belgian or Brazilian so I wonder how I explain that. Again I think you know the point I was making and I just don't see Giggs as a full time manager of Man United or any professional club for that.

Regards Moyes next move. Celtic is a decent shout, I think he started playing there but may be wrong. Although i'm not sure if Lennon will leave, there was talk of Norwich whilst Villa could be an option for him, however are they jobs that would tempt Lennon down?

I can't see Spurs going for Moyes, they got burnt with there past premier league cast off in AvB and they have some urban myth about the Spurs way, which I don't think fits Moyes. I think it would be a bad move for him to go there for his own sake.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 am

What happened at Boro that time with Terry Venables coming back I can't really remember was he mentoring Southgate or McLaren? Wouldn't say it was particularly successful mind!

Vincent Kompany is a very well spoken individual, as is Clarke Carlisle so they are invited to appear on TV shows and talk. I think Giggs has a fair idea what he is talking about but guess time will tell.

I agree with Lennon he has the most comfortable life ever earning Premier League wages competing in League Two standard football. Would he throw that away for a Norwich/Aston Villa level struggle - would you?

It would be interesting if Leicester struggle early next season, how long will Nigel Pearson last. Leicester have money and Lennon has a connection to them.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

lo36789 wrote:What happened at Boro that time with Terry Venables coming back I can't really remember was he mentoring Southgate or McLaren? Wouldn't say it was particularly successful mind!
Joint manager with Bryan Robson

442 Football Crazy Admin