sacked

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: sacked

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

fozzovmurton wrote:
lo36789 wrote:What happened at Boro that time with Terry Venables coming back I can't really remember was he mentoring Southgate or McLaren? Wouldn't say it was particularly successful mind!
Joint manager with Bryan Robson

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Ah right was that what it was...well ignore that one then. Some people are beyond hope!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
I think I am missing something with Ryan Giggs. Its not like he took on a lead role under Sir Alex and I just don't see him as a football manager. I have never really see him lead a team, discuss tactics or appear to be a very clever guy, can you see him competing with Arsene, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Simone, Conte, Pep, Pulis :) . I just don't see it.
Many comparisons have been made between Giggs and Guardiola over the last few seasons. I can see they are quite similar too.

Guardiola did his time as youth team manager at Barca after hanging up his boots, but didn't have any 'big time' experience other than learning from those around him and having had a long and successful career as a player at the club. In that respect, there would be similarities to Giggs spending a few years in the background, either as an Assistant Manager or Reserve Team manager.

When Guardiola first took over at Barca, or Simeone at Atletico, would you have said 'can you see him competing with 'x' experienced manager? Everyone starts somewhere. He's used to working with and competing against big talents and big personalities, all he has to do is get his team playing the right way and it doesn't matter who is on the opposite bench.

Of course it could all go wrong - there are more succesful players who don't make it as managers than those that do. However a lot of those seem to have rushed in to management and I don't think that can be the case with Giggs - he's already 5 years or so older than many players are when they retire and move into management.

He's also adapted to changes in the game over 20 years, has seen different styles come and go, and adapted his own game over the last decade showing a real football intelligence playing everywhere from centre forward to left-back.

He strikes me as measured, quietly confident and one of those that players would want to perform for.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am

Spyman wrote:
He's also adapted to changes in the game over 20 years, has seen different styles come and go, and adapted his own game over the last decade showing a real football intelligence playing everywhere from centre forward to left-back.

He strikes me as measured, quietly confident and one of those that players would want to perform for.
I like your thinking Spyman, I have not heard any of these comparisons to Pep and there are certainly people much better placed to drawn them then me.

I do though think that Pep and Simone are not the best examples for what your going for. Pep was very well recognized on the pitch as a leader, the manager on the pitch kind of player. Where as Simone had already managed a fair few clubs in South America, so he was not untried so to speak. Again was seen as a leader on the pitch. Im not saying Giggs doesn't have it in his locker I just think he comes from a different mold of a player to those mentioned.

I'll be very surprised if the landscape is the same at United by the time he has learned his stripes and his time comes. I couldn't agree much more with your comment earlier " they're going to join the 90 other knee-jerkers in the football league"

Funnily enough I have just had it mentioned to me that Pep turned a move as a player to Man U down in favor of a stint in the Middles East. God knows if its true.

Who do you think they'll go for?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 pm

You brought up the comparions with Guardiola and Simeone - I was just saying that you could have equally compared them to other managers when they first started. :lol:

Yes, a different style of payer - but Giggs has captained Man Utd and everyone says he has the respect of the dressing room, so he clearly has leadership qualities.

If the rumours are to be believed and Giggs didn't get on with Moyes, then I'd guess that the players tended to side with Giggs more than Moyes (an experienced Manager and leader), which played a big part in Moyes' downfall - he supposedly didn't have the backing of senior players. So again, people were willing to 'follow' Giggs - that makes him a leader.

Bryan Robson was a leader on the pitch. He was a poor manager. Tony Adams another example, and the list goes on. There's a lot more to it than just being a leader on the pitch.

I think they'll go with Van Gaal/Ancelotti/Blanc - someone of that ilk who has been around the block, has managed top players and won titles, and they'll put Giggs in a background role. I wonder if there's any regret they didn't take Mourinho when he whored himself out to them last year, or whether they stand by the ethos that they dno't want someone who considers himself bigger than the club?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Spyman wrote:You brought up the comparions with Guardiola and Simeone - I was just saying that you could have equally compared them to other managers when they first started. :lol:
Ha ha, I think I brought them suggesting Giggs would not be able to cope with them across a pre-game conference table, dealing with Jose endless 'mind games' ect

But I do hear what your saying, I mean you don't achieve what he has without having something about you and it does seem the senior pro's RvP, Rio, Giggs did not get on too well with him. Actually you heard very little support from anyone in the club (Phil Neville included) for Moyes, i think they hung him out to dry a little.

Im with you though someone of standing and history of success, which is why I cant see the likes of Klopp / Simone getting a look in, seems they have to go conservative to me.

Blanc was my initial thought, I could see him being a good fit for them, but perhaps not had the success they want. I wonder how he and Giggs got on when they played together, seems that's important.

I'm finding it all rather fascinating, seems to be a lot of sub plots too it all.

No mention of Sir David yet. :P

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Moyes has made a statement thanking pretty much all of Manchester but the players. Tells you a lot.

I see the class of 92 are back. I wonder how they'll fit ex Darlo George Switzer into the coaching staff.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Moyes has made a statement thanking pretty much all of Manchester but the players. Tells you a lot.

I see the class of 92 are back. I wonder how they'll fit ex Darlo George Switzer into the coaching staff.
Keith Gillespie in as accountant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 am

Wonder where this leaves Salford City? Their owners seem to have 'bigger' interests now!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 am

lo36789 wrote:Wonder where this leaves Salford City? Their owners seem to have 'bigger' interests now!
Since there's no confirmation as to who the manager or his coaching staff will be at Man Utd next season, I'd say it makes no difference to Salford.

If the rumour that Van Gaal wants Roy Keane as assistant are true (I can't see it while Ferguson is still on the board), then I couldn't see too many of the 'class of 92' being involved in the coaching team.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am

Spyman wrote:If the rumour that Van Gaal wants Roy Keane as assistant are true (I can't see it while Ferguson is still on the board), then I couldn't see too many of the 'class of 92' being involved in the coaching team.
There are two thoughts I have that sort of conflict.

Whilst Ferguson is there I can't help but think the class of 92 have an open door when is comes to roles at the club.

At the same time Van Gaal will not operate in Ferguson's shadow. He will want his own stamp on things, and it will be his way or no way. As you say that could mean the end of their association.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't think Man Utd would move Ferguson off the board to accomodate a manager, and I don't think they'd have to such is his standing in the game.

According to Moyes, Ferguson didn't get involved at all but was available for Moyes to use as a sounding board as and when he wanted to. I don't think Ferguson would interfere with any other manager - the temptation would surely be even less with an experienced manager like Van Gaal.

Van Gaal has a good record of top level management, but he's not a 'stand-out' candidate as such. His record is good but not faultless - I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Guardiola or Mourinho for example - he's just a more convenient appointment in terms of availability.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:24 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27158902

Told you so!

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:55 am

Spyman wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27158902

Told you so!

Well lets see, I still cant see him getting the job full time. Also when Bryan Robson is backing you then you should be worried.