England Squad - World Cup 2014

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Fibonacci0112358
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England Squad - World Cup 2014

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I am going to be watching Uruguay v Italy or working late. We are playing a game where we have nothing to lose with James Milner in midfield - Milner has his qualities particularly if it is a game you can't afford to lose, but one where you can't lose!?

For what it's worth it would not matter if we went.

Forster
Gerrard, Jones, Shaw
Ox, Sterling
Welbeck, Barkley, Lallana
Rooney, Sturridge

In a 3-5-2. Ox and Sterling as wingbacks. Doesn't seem to work with uncovered formatting.

Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack.

Foster, Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Shaw, Milner, Lampard, Barkley, Wilshere, Lallana & Sturridge.
I should have added Lampard to Captain the side tonight.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 am

So why let the dust settle, we play Switzerland away on 8th September where do people see the team going from here?

I kind of feel this has thrown up more questions than answers. I really hoped a couple of player would have taken a real claim to a place (Barkley being one). However on we go and into a group that we will qualify from easily. As the top 2 are guaranteed a place and even the 3rd placed team is well in with a shout.

England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

Here is a quick go, playing 4-2-3-1.

GK : Hart (although foster looked very comfortable)
RB : ?
CB : Cahill
CB : Stones
LB : Shaw
MD : Henderson
MD : Gerrard
MD : Sterling
MD : Rooney
MD : Ox
FWD : Sturridge.

From here there is also, Walcott, Whilshire, Wellbeck, Lallana, Barkley all looking to play in that space behind Sturridge. A Real lack of strikers and defenders though.

Thoughts?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 am

It will be interesting to see how our squad develops. I have put age at Euro 2016

GK - J.Hart (29), B.Foster (33), F.Forster (28), J.Ruddy (29), J.Butland (23)
RB - S.Gerrard (36), G.Johnson (31), J.Flanagan (23), N.Clyne (25), C.Chambers (21)
CB - P.Jones (24), C.Smalling (26), G.Cahill (30), J.Stones (22), J.Lascelles (22)
LB - L.Shaw (20), L.Baines (31), K.Gibbs (26)
D/M - J.Rodwell (25)
CM - J.Henderson (26), J.Wilshere (24), T.Cleverley (26), A.Lallana (28), R.Barkley (22), W.Hughes (21), R.Ledson (19)
WM - R.Sterling (21), A.Townsend (24), A.Oxlade-Chamberlain (22), W.Zaha (23), J.Ward-Prowse (21), J.Ibe (20)
MF/ST - T.Walcott (27), N.Powell (22)
ST - W.Rooney (30), D.Sturridge (26), D.Welbeck (25), J.Wilson (20), J.Rodriguez (24), C.Wickham (23), D.Ings (24)

This is somewhat based on my assumptions of development.

There will be plenty of others that come on strong ala Barkley/Shaw this time round and inevitably players that don't meet their expecation. I wouldn't rule out someone like Adam Le Fondre doing "a Ricky Lambert" either.

If we wanted to make a cohesive unit so that they play as a team in Euro 2016 - is there much risk in bringing in some of the unproven players, we shouldn't struggle to qualify!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 am

lo36789 wrote:It will be interesting to see how our squad develops. I have put age at Euro 2016

GK - J.Hart (29), B.Foster (33), F.Forster (28), J.Ruddy (29), J.Butland (23)
RB - S.Gerrard (36), G.Johnson (31), J.Flanagan (23), N.Clyne (25), C.Chambers (21)
CB - P.Jones (24), C.Smalling (26), G.Cahill (30), J.Stones (22), J.Lascelles (22)
LB - L.Shaw (20), L.Baines (31), K.Gibbs (26)
D/M - J.Rodwell (25)
CM - J.Henderson (26), J.Wilshere (24), T.Cleverley (26), A.Lallana (28), R.Barkley (22), W.Hughes (21), R.Ledson (19)
WM - R.Sterling (21), A.Townsend (24), A.Oxlade-Chamberlain (22), W.Zaha (23), J.Ward-Prowse (21), J.Ibe (20)
MF/ST - T.Walcott (27), N.Powell (22)
ST - W.Rooney (30), D.Sturridge (26), D.Welbeck (25), J.Wilson (20), J.Rodriguez (24), C.Wickham (23), D.Ings (24)

This is somewhat based on my assumptions of development.

There will be plenty of others that come on strong ala Barkley/Shaw this time round and inevitably players that don't meet their expecation. I wouldn't rule out someone like Adam Le Fondre doing "a Ricky Lambert" either.

If we wanted to make a cohesive unit so that they play as a team in Euro 2016 - is there much risk in bringing in some of the unproven players, we shouldn't struggle to qualify!
:problem:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Well he won't be able to cope in centre-midfield.

I can see him reverting to right back (as he used to play for Liverpool) and England taking him in pity.

Ultimately though I can't see him being at Euro 2016 through being too old so maybe it would just be best if he was left out of qualifying.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 pm

World Cup 2018

GK - S.Gerrard (38)

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:World Cup 2018

GK - S.Gerrard (38)
Wouldn't put it past Liverpool to do anything to keep him in their squad!

Although they could do what Man City did with such club legends as Patrick Vieira and make him an ambassador.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Very good player and much like Crouch, he doesn't get the credit for his footballing ability that he deserves.
I expected better from you Spyman. The only thing Crouch did get credit for was his footballing ability "surprisingly good feet for a big man" was pretty much guaranteed phrase you would hear alongside Peter Crouch.

I actually what was always missed with Crouch is how poor at heading he was for a big man. If it was a contest Tim Cahill v Crouch in a 50:50 header I would back Cahill - that shouldn't be the case!
Why would someone be good at heading because they are tall?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:So why let the dust settle, we play Switzerland away on 8th September where do people see the team going from here?

I kind of feel this has thrown up more questions than answers. I really hoped a couple of player would have taken a real claim to a place (Barkley being one). However on we go and into a group that we will qualify from easily. As the top 2 are guaranteed a place and even the 3rd placed team is well in with a shout.

England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

From here there is also, Walcott, Whilshire, Wellbeck, Lallana, Barkley all looking to play in that space behind Sturridge. A Real lack of strikers and defenders though.

Thoughts?
Stones in the team by Sept? No way.

I'd take Sterling out for Wellbeck but agree on the rest. Thought Wilshere did well last night, too.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 am

Spyman wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:So why let the dust settle, we play Switzerland away on 8th September where do people see the team going from here?

England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

Thoughts?

I'd take Sterling out for Wellbeck but agree on the rest. Thought Wilshere did well last night, too.

Spyman wrote:

England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

Thoughts?
I'm not to sure about that, Stones is very impressive when I've seen him (better call than Burn!).
I'm not sure about Stevie G and I not sure about Whilshire as the replacement either (spend far too much time on the floor apparently injured for me).
I'd keep Sterling in and I believe The Ox is the future for England, the bench looks strong but inexperienced.
Right back is a massive problem, Johnson tends to get picked by default. I really don't have a clue on that one........play Gary Neville!!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 am

comeondarlo wrote:Right back is a massive problem, Johnson tends to get picked by default. I really don't have a clue on that one........play Gary Neville!!!
Jon Flanagan, Martin Kelly, Kieran Trippier, Carl Jenkinson, Nathaniel Clyne, Callum Chambers.

I am hoping for one of these to come good next season, by September probably not and I imagine it will be Johnson or Phil Jones.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:30 am

I hear what your saying Spyman regards Stones, but he has looked superb when I have seen him and I think we all know that Jags and Cahill although good are not the answer together, so why not get him and and play him?

In terms of RB's I don't see Jenkinson, Flanagan or Kelly being long term solutions, Although from Saints fans I have heard a lot of Clyne, many seem to think he is better than Shaw, so perhaps hope there. And truth be told I don't now anything about Trippier or Chambers

In terms of players for the future, Loftus-Cheek at Chelsea looks to have potential as a box to box midfielder, whether he'll ever get a chance at Chelsea in their midfield is another thing.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:48 am

Spyman wrote:

England
Switzerland
Slovenia
Estonia
Lithuania
San Marino

Thoughts?

I'd be happy to give Stones the nod for the home game with San Marino. I don't see us having too many problems getting a good result there, so maybe that would be a good time to give one or two of the younger lads some competitive game time?
Northern League Champions 2013

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 am

I wish some of our players had more stones! I'm here all week!

Also, I'll get me coat... :(

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

If you want a player with lots of stones behind him, I'm your man. :lol:
Northern League Champions 2013