England Squad - World Cup 2014

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England Squad - World Cup 2014

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Oh, and Ricky Lambert looked a bit old for a striker. This was noticable. A younger striker (as most strikers are, by the way, including Connor Wickham) would've scored two or three goals.

And Frank Lampard is older than most footballers. This was noticable also.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Not sure if anyone's fussed but

World Cup Group A preview

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/201...-2014-group-a/

Brazil winner with Croatia/Mexico being decided on the last group game. No Chance for Cameroon

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:51 pm

as long as we have premier league reserve and scottish joke league players in our squad we are fucked

wilshire , oxade-chamberlain,milner, forster( nephew of ted according to immortal chef lmao) smalling .wtf are these ever doing in an england squad ffs...............

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:59 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:as long as we have premier league reserve and scottish joke league players in our squad we are fucked

wilshire , oxade-chamberlain,milner, forster( nephew of ted according to immortal chef lmao) smalling .wtf are these ever doing in an england squad ffs...............
Please tell me this is a wind-up...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:as long as we have premier league reserve and scottish joke league players in our squad we are fucked

Oxlade-Chamberlain was the best player on the pitch the other night. Milner's verstaility and work-rate make him a useful squad player, Smalling and Forster are back-up players, but who would you take ahead of this lot if you were in charge?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 pm

I don't get this bashing of James Milner either. Just because he doesn't dribble past defenders every game and bang in world class goals doesn't make him a bad player. He's the type of player I'd start with in our opening game. You know what you get from James Milner. He won't go wandering and leave his full-back exposed.
Northern League Champions 2013

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm

TSQuaker wrote:I don't get this bashing of James Milner either. Just because he doesn't dribble past defenders every game and bang in world class goals doesn't make him a bad player. He's the type of player I'd start with in our opening game. You know what you get from James Milner. He won't go wandering and leave his full-back exposed.
Based on the other day I wouldn't play him. Even when he was moved from right-back he didn't look great.

I expect us to play 4-2-3-1. In which case give me Henderson and Gerrard in those holding midfield roles over Milner. The whole point is that they protect the defence and then you flood the other 4 positions with attacking, creative talent. Again not James Milner.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I think Milner is a good player, and does a certain job. I wouldn't start with him against Italy though - it sends out toally the wrong message.

What we did wrong against Italy 2 years ago was to let them hold onto the ball - we didn't try to take control, just sat behind the ball for 120 minutes.

We need to go at them - they're a good team but not a great team and we can certainly match them man for man. We need to get at hem and not let them dictate things. Picking Milner says to them that we're looking to protect our full-backs, rather than worry about them having to protect their own full-backs.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Spyman wrote:I think Milner is a good player, and does a certain job. I wouldn't start with him against Italy though - it sends out toally the wrong message.

What we did wrong against Italy 2 years ago was to let them hold onto the ball - we didn't try to take control, just sat behind the ball for 120 minutes.

We need to go at them - they're a good team but not a great team and we can certainly match them man for man. We need to get at hem and not let them dictate things. Picking Milner says to them that we're looking to protect our full-backs, rather than worry about them having to protect their own full-backs.
I agree with all of this.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Anyone watching the game tonight?

The lineup is exactly what I would be going with into the Italy match. I am actually enjoying it...when we have the ball, Henderson is really making us tick I think.

The only player frustrating me so far has been Joe Hart - is he really going to continue to hit long balls when we have the short ball on?

We are so much better with the ball than without it. We cannot afford at any point to give the ball away cheaply and if a short quick release is on from Hart I think he has to play it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:35 pm

I was watching, until it stopped.

Tonight has reminded me exactly what frustrated me about Joe Hart 2 years ago - he kept squandering possession then, particularly against Italy, and he's doing it tonight.

Overall the team is what I expect. I might prefer Wilshere to Henderson slightly but not much between them. It's good to see the front three have linked up well a couple of times. I'd probably have a fit Oxlade-Chamberlain in ahead of Lallana based on what I've seen of them recently, and I think right-back should still be up for grabs (although not sure who I would pick - maybe Jones).

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:05 pm

I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. I was chatting to a few lads today who said we were awful.

Hart must have been told by Hodgson after the storm break he was playing it wide and short.

Other than that. Sturridge needs to be a bit more clinical but he has the ability so it doesn't concern me too much.

I agree about Oxlade-Chamberlain over Lallana possibly. I still prefer Henderson to Wilshere though and I don't think RB is a big problem.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:25 pm

You're right - Hart's distribution changed totally after the storm, almost to the extent he was putting his defenders in trouble playing it short when he shouldn't!

I also thought Lallana came into it more and can make things happen - I'd be happy if he started.

Henderson probably offers more protection the defence than Wilshere, so again based on the Ecuador game where the defence looked horribly exposed, I'd probably start with Henderson. Wilshere can offer that bit of spark going forward, similar (but different, if that makes sense) to Barkley and may be useful off the bench running at defenders, playing quick one-twos to get in behind.

I thought it was odd that Hodgson subbed Rooney off for the invisible man at half-time though. Barkley, a couple of runs aside, contributed very little.

Wellbeck once again showed he is better than most, if not all strikers in the Championship.

OVerall I thought we were far from awful. Much more solid at the back, dictted from start to finish, we just lacked that clinical edge which we'll need to find.

Overall the build up to me is very similar to Euro 96 - remember Shearer was being slated by the know-nowts because he hadn't scored an International goal for ages, we started slowly against the Swiss and weren't clinical enough, then something clicked and we destroyed the Dutch.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:32 pm

lo36789 wrote:I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. I was chatting to a few lads today who said we were awful.

Hart must have been told by Hodgson after the storm break he was playing it wide and short.

Other than that. Sturridge needs to be a bit more clinical but he has the ability so it doesn't concern me too much.

I agree about Oxlade-Chamberlain over Lallana possibly. I still prefer Henderson to Wilshere though and I don't think RB is a big problem.
It seems to be "fashionable" to be negative about England whether the team deserves it or not.

I thought we played well and on another day Sturridge would have had a hat-trick. No doubt England fans would still find something to moan about even if he had.

But I reckon Lallana should start the first couple of games at least, with Oxlade-Chamberlain coming off the bench. Glen Johnson gets more criticism than he deserves too, but of course England fans need SOMETHING to be negative about.
Spyman wrote:Wellbeck once again showed he is better than most, if not all strikers in the Championship.
:lol:

aveda

Post by aveda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:55 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. I was chatting to a few lads today who said we were awful.

It seems to be "fashionable" to be negative about England whether the team deserves it or not.

I thought we played well and on another day Sturridge would have had a hat-trick. No doubt England fans would still find something to moan about even if he had.

But I reckon Lallana should start the first couple of games at least, with Oxlade-Chamberlain coming off the bench. Glen Johnson gets more criticism than he deserves too, but of course England fans need SOMETHING to be negative about.
Spyman wrote:Wellbeck once again showed he is better than most, if not all strikers in the Championship.
:lol:
Tend to agree with you. I don't know why people have to be so vehemently negative, almost delighting in us getting beat. Surely it adds to the enjoyment to be optimistic (I do mean realistically so, not in a nationalistic frenzy).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Just reading Wilshere's comments about how our plan is to stop Pirlo.

I really hope that while we try to combat him, we don't neglect their other strengths. While he was good 2 years ago and pulled the strings, let's not forget the game finished 0-0 after 120 minutes, so it isn't as if he cut us to shreds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 am

Spyman wrote:Just reading Wilshere's comments about how our plan is to stop Pirlo.

I really hope that while we try to combat him, we don't neglect their other strengths. While he was good 2 years ago and pulled the strings, let's not forget the game finished 0-0 after 120 minutes, so it isn't as if he cut us to shreds.

I agree Spyman all the talk I am hearing is about combating Pirlo, I don't think we have any need to be scared of Italy, a good team? yes, better than us? not so much I don't think.

I really hope we go after all our games, we are a stronger team going forward and I just hope we don't get obsessed with defending and trying to snatch a win as I think we will get found out playing this way.

I'm feeling rather confident from what I have seen of the team, Roy seems to have upped the importance of retaining possession (and Joe hart does need to help us here).

We should be solid enough with Gerrard and Henderson protecting the defence. I think our best chances against Italy are allowing them possession in their half then pressing fast and hard to win the ball when they come on to us once in possession quickly look to hit Sterling, Wellbeck and Sturridges pace.

Although I suspect he will start Milner and play cautious for 60-70 mins which someone earlier mentioned just sends out the wrong message.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Although I suspect he will start Milner and play cautious for 60-70 mins which someone earlier mentioned just sends out the wrong message.
If that happens I think I will switch it off and go to bed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:12 am

Exactly - Italian domestic football is nowhere near the force it was a decade ago. Very few of the worlds best players go there now, favouring Spain, England and even Germany. While this means more Italian players are playing for the big clubs, the standard just isn't as high.

Yes, they have good players, as do we. But man for man, if we play to our strengths, we can certainly beat them. There's nobody in that team that scares me to the extent that a player like Saurez does. Pirlo is good, but can be cancelled out, and he's 36. I don't see him as any better a player than Gerrard really. Balotelli is a threat on his day, but his days are few and far between. Motta and De Rossi, again good players, but I don't see them as any more of a threat to us than Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc can be to them.

As you say, our strengths do lie in our attacking players - despite us not scoring hatfuls in the warm-ups we've seen (also domestically) that Sturridge, Rooney, Sterling, Wellbeck, Lallana, Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain can all terrorise defenders and create chances. They've all done it in the Premiership, in Europe, for England - no reason why given the freedom that 4 of that bunch can't combine to cause real problems with 3 more options to come from the bench. Plus Lambert, who is also no slouch.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Italy's strength is through the middle and keeping the ball well. Juventus are the best team in Italy defensive strength and stability comes from their Italian players Buffon, Chiellini, Barzagli, Marchisio and Pirlo. They attack through their foreign imports Asamoah, Tevez, Llorente, Vidal & Vucinic.

As you call out other main men are the likes of De Rossi and Motta - more defensive midfielders.

Abate is an attacking full back, Cerci is a decent right winger and Balotelli has his moments. Cassano is talented as well but he is even less consistent than Balotelli!

AND they have a bloke called Immobile up front...

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:27 am

I think the fact we have gone out after two games states we needed to pick the likes of Barkley and lallana from the start and not the so called bigger names....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:58 am

Doesn't state that we need to.

Gives us a chance to start then though, might as well nothing to lose after all. The fact that people are now suggesting that we start with them now we are out indicates that it was a risk to play them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:44 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I think the fact we have gone out after two games states we needed to pick the likes of Barkley and lallana from the start and not the so called bigger names....
It doesn't, but you're right that we should pick Barkley and Lallana in place of Sterling and maybe Henderson who underperformed so badly on Thursday.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 am

I am going to be watching Uruguay v Italy or working late. We are playing a game where we have nothing to lose with James Milner in midfield - Milner has his qualities particularly if it is a game you can't afford to lose, but one where you can't lose!?

For what it's worth it would not matter if we went.

Forster
Gerrard, Jones, Shaw
Ox, Sterling
Welbeck, Barkley, Lallana
Rooney, Sturridge

In a 3-5-2. Ox and Sterling as wingbacks. Doesn't seem to work with uncovered formatting.

Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:56 am

lo36789 wrote:I am going to be watching Uruguay v Italy or working late. We are playing a game where we have nothing to lose with James Milner in midfield - Milner has his qualities particularly if it is a game you can't afford to lose, but one where you can't lose!?

For what it's worth it would not matter if we went.

Forster
Gerrard, Jones, Shaw
Ox, Sterling
Welbeck, Barkley, Lallana
Rooney, Sturridge

In a 3-5-2. Ox and Sterling as wingbacks. Doesn't seem to work with uncovered formatting.

Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack.

Foster, Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Shaw, Milner, Lampard, Barkley, Wilshere, Lallana & Sturridge.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:18 am

I'd go for:

Forster

Johnson
Jones
Cahill
Shaw

Henderson
Wilshere

Oxlade-Chamberlain
Rooney
Wellbeck

Sturridge

It may be a meaningless game, but I don't see the point in playing a set of players that will likely never feature together in the next campaign - look to the future but keep the structure of the team in tact. While we're disappointed to be out, there were positives from the Italy game and we can try to restore some pride by beating Costa Rica.

Jagielka isn't quite what we need and isn't getting any younger - lets get Jones in there with Cahill now and hope they can strike up a partnership that will take us forward. We still don't have a viable alternative to Johnson in he squad, so he stays for now.

Gerrard will probably retire, although I hope he doesn't - he can still contribute a lot to the team/squad. But in an area where we have a lot of options, lets look at them in case he does quit.

Sturridge and Rooney are really our only options for the '9' role at the moment. Wellbeck at a push. Sturridge needs to establish himself there though and get used to playing International football. Rooney showed on Thursday he's a threat off the striker, and has another 4 years left in him. Let those two continue developing a partnership.

The wide positions are still up for grabs. Sterling, Wellbeck, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain ll have strengths and weaknesses but over the last few weeks Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wellbeck have shown the most in those roles if you ask me. Good to have some strong options though.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 am

Spyman wrote:I'd go for:

Forster

Johnson
Jones
Cahill
Shaw

Henderson
Wilshere

Oxlade-Chamberlain
Rooney
Wellbeck

Sturridge

It may be a meaningless game, but I don't see the point in playing a set of players that will likely never feature together in the next campaign - look to the future but keep the structure of the team in tact. While we're disappointed to be out, there were positives from the Italy game and we can try to restore some pride by beating Costa Rica.

Jagielka isn't quite what we need and isn't getting any younger - lets get Jones in there with Cahill now and hope they can strike up a partnership that will take us forward. We still don't have a viable alternative to Johnson in he squad, so he stays for now.

Gerrard will probably retire, although I hope he doesn't - he can still contribute a lot to the team/squad. But in an area where we have a lot of options, lets look at them in case he does quit.

Sturridge and Rooney are really our only options for the '9' role at the moment. Wellbeck at a push. Sturridge needs to establish himself there though and get used to playing International football. Rooney showed on Thursday he's a threat off the striker, and has another 4 years left in him. Let those two continue developing a partnership.

The wide positions are still up for grabs. Sterling, Wellbeck, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain ll have strengths and weaknesses but over the last few weeks Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wellbeck have shown the most in those roles if you ask me. Good to have some strong options though.
Pretty much this. Only thing I would say is that Lambert has more to him than most give him credit for. Im not sure why Roy took him, when we were chasing the game v Italy I would have thrown him on. He is not just a target man and can play. perhaps his age goes against him in this situation.

I think the Ox is injured, but i'd probably go.

Forster / Hart

Johnson - no alternative
Jones
Cahill
Shaw

Henderson
Wilshere

Lallana
Rooney
Sturridge

Lambert -perhaps out of sentiment I would like to see him given a try I also think he can play a bit.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am

I know what you mean about Lambert, but Sturridge/Rooney should still be in the frame in 4 years. He won't (although me reason why not in 2016). Very good player and much like Crouch, he doesn't get the credit for his footballing ability that he deserves.

We could try him and Sturridge/Rooney together, but is he really more effective than either of them?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am

Spyman wrote:Very good player and much like Crouch, he doesn't get the credit for his footballing ability that he deserves.
I expected better from you Spyman. The only thing Crouch did get credit for was his footballing ability "surprisingly good feet for a big man" was pretty much guaranteed phrase you would hear alongside Peter Crouch.

I actually what was always missed with Crouch is how poor at heading he was for a big man. If it was a contest Tim Cahill v Crouch in a 50:50 header I would back Cahill - that shouldn't be the case!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Spyman wrote:Sturridge/Rooney should still be in the frame in 4 years. He won't
Which is why I suspect he wont see the pitch tonight and I can see the logic in that.

Perhaps im just being a little soft, but i really like the idea of him getting a winner in the world cup game. People go on about his 'journey' through football however it is a great story for lower league fans and at the moment he perhaps feels like his is there due to to little other options, I suspect he is better than that.

Funnily enough thinking ahead to France 2016 and Russia 2020, Im not sure I can see Rooney / Surridge being our front pairing although I like them both im hoping better options come along.

I think it was mentioned elsewhere, but i really hope Jack Rodwell gets out of City, he 'could' be a real bonus for us over the coming years without Gerrard, however his career is passing him by.

*edited* not trying to open up the is Rodwell and CB or MF debate.