England Squad - World Cup 2014

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloOnTheUp
Team Supported: Darlington

England Squad - World Cup 2014

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Just been announced:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (England), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

For once, I actually agree with the entire squad, except maybe Wickham might have been a decent standby. Pleased to see Barkley in ahead of Cleverley too since Cleverley is as much use as a catflap on a submarine.

There seems to be a good mix of youth and experience and we actually have a lot of excellent younger players who have improved considerably this season.

It's just a shame that Cahill is our only top quality centre-back as I'm still not entirely decided on Jagielka, and Jones and Smalling both seem to have stalled in their progression.

Spyman

Re: England Squad - World Cup 2014

Post by Spyman » Mon May 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Yep, no real surprises. One or two that down to personal preference you might take or leave but nothing shocking.

Not sure whether you're Connor Wickham suggestion is tongue in cheek, but it'd be ridiculous to put him anywhere near the squad after one decent month of Premiership football!

I'd probably have gone with Carrick over Lampard personally - he's played more football this season, but Lampard provides unrivalled experience and can influence a game from the bench perhaps more than Carrick would, so can see the thinking behind it.

One thing I would say is there's not a huge amount of wide options. Sterling, Wellbeck, Milner and then possibly Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Sterling is the only traditional winger out of that lot though.

I expect we'll be going 4-3-3/4-5-1 as is the fashion these days with Gerrard flanked by any two of Lallana, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Henderson and Barkley. Hard to pick 2 from those to be honest, they all have their strengths.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 12, 2014 2:45 pm

I was being serious about Wickham but only because he's young and finally starting to live up to his potential, plus he's bulked up too so has become difficult to defend against, but you're probably right. Give him next season to prove whether his recent form is a one-off.

I agree about Lampard/Carrick but will either of them start anyways? Probably not, and Lampard is more dangerous than Carrick when brought off the bench near the end of a match.

The winger thing is just unfortunate because Townsend and Walcott are both injured but then maybe Adam Johnson could have been placed in standby in case of another injury. Lallana does make a good winger though even if he doesn't have the pace of Sterling.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Spyman wrote:Yep, no real surprises. One or two that down to personal preference you might take or leave but nothing shocking.

Not sure whether you're Connor Wickham suggestion is tongue in cheek, but it'd be ridiculous to put him anywhere near the squad after one decent month of Premiership football!

I'd probably have gone with Carrick over Lampard personally - he's played more football this season, but Lampard provides unrivalled experience and can influence a game from the bench perhaps more than Carrick would, so can see the thinking behind it.

One thing I would say is there's not a huge amount of wide options. Sterling, Wellbeck, Milner and then possibly Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Sterling is the only traditional winger out of that lot though.

I expect we'll be going 4-3-3/4-5-1 as is the fashion these days with Gerrard flanked by any two of Lallana, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Henderson and Barkley. Hard to pick 2 from those to be honest, they all have their strengths.
Yeah, I'd have taken Carrick as well. If Gerrard and / or Henderson pick up an injury or suspension then we could be exposed through the middle.

Having said that, I'm pleased to see a number of the younger players being offered a chance to shine.

How would you line up against Italy, if we had a fully fit squad to choose from?
Northern League Champions 2013

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Phil Jones has played the holding midfield role before as well remember, so I suppose that's more cover if we're desperate.

I'd line up with:

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Lallana
Wilshere

Wellbeck
Rooney
Sturridge

I think the midfield spots are really up for grabs though - Oxlade Chamberlain and Barkley in particular could be big players coming from the bench. Both can change a game, even against the best defenders.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd go like this;

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Wilshere

Milner
Rooney
Sterling

It's obviously important that we don't lose the first game, and I think Milner is pretty dependable in those kind of games. I don't think Uruguay are anything special at the back, so I'd fancy Sterling / Chamberlain to cause them all sorts of problems in the second game.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

I agree with Spyman's lineup. Sturridge has to start!

Also, why does Welbeck get so much stick? He needs to improve his finishing but the rest of his game is pretty good? I don't understand.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Wellbeck offers a huge amount to the team. His link up play is as good as anyone, he's strong, quick and direct. Yes he could score more, but his goalscoring record was OK this season and he looks wasteful because he creates so much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Welbeck is a quality player. A lot of the stick he gets comes from the anti-Manchester United brigade. As Spyman said, his work rate and off the ball work is second to none.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Wilshere or Henderson

Sterling
Lallana
Welbeck or Oxlade

Sturridge

I just wouldn't bother with Rooney. I'm thinking back to the Euros and how England looked better and felt more like a team when he missed the first two games. He's had one good tournament a decade ago and generally been anonymous or a disgrace at international tournaments since. I've got visions of the sunburnt, panting, wheezing fat mess demanding the ball off everyone before firing off a series of 70 yard passes out for a throw before getting hooked after an hour in every game.

Looks a bit light at centre back. I don't really trust Jones or Smalling as backup but struggling to think who else.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm

But then equally Sturridge has done next to fuck all for England so far, so why should he play over Rooney?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DC

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 13, 2014 6:40 am

I'd be tempted to play as many Liverpool players as possible, purely as they know each other's game inside out and have all performed admirably this season as well as being form players

Expect we'll go 4-3-3 - Defence picks itself, midfield is where the most question marks are and then Rooney & Sturridge are automatic picks with the choice between Welbeck & Sterling, although Milner will no doubt play vs Italy and we'll play more of a 4-5-1

Hart

Johnson
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Lallana
Henderson

Sturridge
Rooney
Sterling

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 13, 2014 6:42 am

Spyman wrote:But then equally Sturridge has done next to fuck all for England so far, so why should he play over Rooney?

He'd also done next to fuck all at club level before this season, but he's really come of age this season - will be our key player if not stuck out wide

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 am

This would be my lineup.

Hart

Johnson
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines

Henderson
Gerrard
Wilshere

Rooney
Sterling
Sturridge/Welbeck

Gerrard basically not having to do as much running given the support of Henderson & Wilshere. If Wilshere is rusty I'd be tempted to go with Milner there before any others.

I don't know what to do up top. Sturridge is our best goalscorer, Welbeck is probably our most skilful player, Rooney can orchestrate a game on his own and Sterling has been flying and integral to Liverpool's success playing off the striker.

I think Rooney and Sterling are better in behind a striker. Thing is I don't really like a xmas tree formation. Possibly Sterling in behind Rooney and Welbeck/Sturridge.

I don't think we have a particularly in form right back. Johnson, Jones and Smalling have all been a little suspect this season. That is probably the position that worries me most, especially since the CB pairing is probably the worst I have seen in an England WC side.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 13, 2014 7:49 am

divas wrote:
Spyman wrote:But then equally Sturridge has done next to fuck all for England so far, so why should he play over Rooney?

He'd also done next to fuck all at club level before this season, but he's really come of age this season - will be our key player if not stuck out wide
Don't get me wrong, I'd go wit Sturridge all day long because he's the form player and has had a terrific season. I'm merely highlighting the ridiculousness of many comments when it comes to Rooney - he's been consistantly England's best forward for years - he may not have turned it on in major tournaments, but then very few England players have over the last decade. He still gets singled out though.

I actually read a comment on the BBC sportsfeed yesterday saying "what has Wayne Rooney done this season to justify a place in the squad?". Apart from scoring 17 league goals and being the second highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership? These will be the same people that at the start of the season were suggesting Gary Hooper and Charlie Austin should be in the squad.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 13, 2014 7:52 am

divas wrote:I'd be tempted to play as many Liverpool players as possible, purely as they know each other's game inside out and have all performed admirably this season as well as being form players

Expect we'll go 4-3-3 - Defence picks itself, midfield is where the most question marks are and then Rooney & Sturridge are automatic picks with the choice between Welbeck & Sterling, although Milner will no doubt play vs Italy and we'll play more of a 4-5-1

Hart

Johnson
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines

Gerrard
Lallana
Henderson

Sturridge
Rooney
Sterling
I think it will be a massive mistake to play Milner ahead of Wellbeck against Italy. Yes he'll put a shift in and support his full-back, but the last thing we want to do is invite pressure and allow Italy to play possession football. Wellbeck will cause them problems and give us an excellent outlet to relieve the pressure, similar to the way he did for Man Utd against Bayern. I seem to remember in the Euros he was one of the highlights in that England game against Italy.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue May 13, 2014 11:08 am

I have to say considering what we have to work with, Roy has done OK for me with a decent mix of youth and a little experience.

GK : I may have gone Butland over Foster, the chances of either playing are slim and seems Butland is very highly thought of. Although doesn't seem to have really kicked on as people thought.

DF : Not a lot of choice for CB. I'm not convinced by Jags and Cahill but they deserve their chance and the best two we have. I'm worried there after. Jones and Smalling seem to be included on reputation and a reputation built on potential rather than there current ability, however not sure what else we have. I like the look of Stone at Everton and given a few more months he may have pushed either of those out.

Again at RB not sure we have another choice and Johnson doesn't struggle for injuries so should play all the games. LB interesting choice and can see why he has done it. I have not seen that much of Shaw truth be told and may have gone for the experience of Cole however I'm not sure Cole would like to be back up to Baines and I do think Baines is the number 1 (3) for that place.

The back 4 chooses itself, but the cover really concerns me.

MF : Pleased he found a space for Barkley, he 'could' be very special for us I think. I can see him coming on as a sub and staying in the team. He may get some grief for picking Lampard, but he has been there seen it and along with Gerrard will provide a good head in the camp. He can effect a game coming on yet is also disciplined enough to shore up if required. handy penalty taker too.

FWD: I think the front 4 pick themselves. They also do provide a nice mix of rotation with the midfield players. Also happy to see Lambert and not Carroll in there (although not sure that was ever likely)

My team much like Spy's but I would pop Sterling in for Wellbeck. I think he has proved he can be disciplined and i'd back the combination of Gerrard, Sterling and Sturridge, over the Wellbeck / Rooney combination.

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Lallana
Wilshere

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am

Hart

Johnson Jones Cahill Shaw

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Sterling

Rooney
Sturridge

Hart, Cahill, Johnson are all dead certain to start every game

Shaw has to start, i don't care if he is young or whatever but he is three times the player Baines is.

Jones has always been a rock for England when he is placed in the right position

Gerrard, at the back of the diamond, can supply any one of the front men easily. there is no need to have wingers when Stevie G can ping in a good ball reliably from anywhere on the pitch.

Although some people have slated Henderson recently his form has been incredible for Liverpool this season, they really missed him when he was suspended.

Wilshere was a 50/50 for me. Milner is a great player but when Wilshere plays the way he can (and he often does for England) he would walk into any club or international team in the world.

Sterling has to start in that CAM role but should be given the opportunity to roam freely as his pace all over the final third will rip old defenses such as Italy's to pieces.

Rooney is a given, anyone who would not have him in their team wants their head looking at. Stuuridge, Welbeck, Lambert, Carroll blah blah. stick Wazza in between the defenders and their midfield and he will destroy.

I personally dislike Sturridge and would start Welbeck but I think Sturridge's link up play with the other Liverpool players must get him into the team.
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Darlo Will don't you think that looks a bit narrow?

So Sterling is in AM behind Rooney who is behind Sturridge?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

All of these new false number 9's, playing between the lines, rotation of a front 3 do make it hard, defined positions are disappearing it seems.

Was easier to pick a side a few years back when you had Mike Bassets 4 - 4 - 2 with two massive blokes at the back, fast wingers, energetic CM and the big man small man up top.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Haha it's the solution to our left midfield shortage!

I don't remember a time of fast wingers. I remember Joe Cole, David Beckham and Darren Anderton.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Darlo will wrote:Hart

Johnson Jones Cahill Shaw

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Sterling

Rooney
Sturridge

Hart, Cahill, Johnson are all dead certain to start every game

Shaw has to start, i don't care if he is young or whatever but he is three times the player Baines is.

Jones has always been a rock for England when he is placed in the right position

Gerrard, at the back of the diamond, can supply any one of the front men easily. there is no need to have wingers when Stevie G can ping in a good ball reliably from anywhere on the pitch.

Although some people have slated Henderson recently his form has been incredible for Liverpool this season, they really missed him when he was suspended.

Wilshere was a 50/50 for me. Milner is a great player but when Wilshere plays the way he can (and he often does for England) he would walk into any club or international team in the world.

Sterling has to start in that CAM role but should be given the opportunity to roam freely as his pace all over the final third will rip old defenses such as Italy's to pieces.

Rooney is a given, anyone who would not have him in their team wants their head looking at. Stuuridge, Welbeck, Lambert, Carroll blah blah. stick Wazza in between the defenders and their midfield and he will destroy.

I personally dislike Sturridge and would start Welbeck but I think Sturridge's link up play with the other Liverpool players must get him into the team.
Sturridge has scored 21 league goals in 29 games this season, and 31 league goals in 43 games for Liverpool overall, yet you 'personally dislike' him? Did he shag your lass like?

Your formation is also waaaay too narrow like lo has already pointed out.

Although Jones at CB instead of Jagielka is worth a punt.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Jones in my opinion has huge potential and although he's stalled a bit, with Vidic and Ferdinand both off this summer, hopefully he gets the chance to cement a central defensive spot at Man Utd next season. Following the World Cup, I'd have him in with Cahill as the regular pairing but it might be worth sticking with the two who have built up an understanding for now.

Talk of Shaw being '3 times the player Baines is' are the words of an idiot. Baines is the better player, Shaw has been exposed defensively a number of times this season. He has huge potential, but like a young Ashley Cole, the defensive side of his game needs some work.

Also, Darlo Will is suggesting playing Sterling in attacking midfield, and playing Rooney in the gap between the opposition's defence and midfield - isn't this where your attacking midfielder would play?

I think Sterling, along with Barkley, should initialy be used as impact players from the bench when we need to inject a bit of an unknown quantity in to things.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Spyman wrote:I think Sterling, along with Barkley, should initialy be used as impact players from the bench when we need to inject a bit of an unknown quantity in to things.
Think they might notice if we start playing 13 players...

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 13, 2014 2:17 pm

I like the look of the squad. A bit of youth, with some exciting attacking players. Hopefully we have a go at Italy and Uruguay. We may fall short as they are both good teams, although I think we are capable of beating both (Uruguay more so than Italy, as I think we could struggle in the Manaus conditions against a team who retains possession as well as Italy).

I like Phil Jones and Welbeck. I think both have a lot of potential. They are still only 22/23, and seem to be rarely played in their actual position for Man United. They need to start playing regularly, at CB and ST respectively. If that happens we can have 2 very good players on our hands.

I'd line up:
Hart
Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
Gerrard Henderson
Sterling Rooney Lallana
Sturridge

Tempted to stick Barkley in there, but I think he could be a very interesting player to bring on with 25 mins to go. He can be very direct, and could cause some problems for the other teams. I really like Ox as well, and is another good option to have on the bench. That team isn't going to win the world cup, but I think we have a decent chance of getting out of the group, and then who knows what could happen. If we can reach the QFs, in my eyes that will be a successful tournament.

I actually think we could do pretty well at Euro 2016. If these young players carry on progressing then we could have some really good players by then. Barkley, Wilshere, Ox, Welbeck, Jones, Stones, Shaw, Sturridge, could all be very good international players , not to mention the likes of Hart, Walcott and Rooney who will still be about, and any others who break through. I'm actually optimistic about England for the first time in a while.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Meanwhile...

ImageImageImageImage

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Let's be honest, we've got a team that's capable of winning ugly...

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 14, 2014 2:22 pm

I am personally looking forward to the face-off between Suarez and Jones:

ImageImage

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Wellbeck offers nothing to the team more than anyone else. Smalling and Rooney are the only two manure players I would have probably taken and smalling only gets in because we have poor options at right back. I would have took wickham for two reasons .. He will be a bit of the unknown to the opposition and mainly because he is in form. I would have only took players who are first choice for their teams and also in form so the likes of wilshire and Milner would not have made it either .

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Sat May 24, 2014 9:05 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Wellbeck offers nothing to the team more than anyone else. Smalling and Rooney are the only two manure players I would have probably taken and smalling only gets in because we have poor options at right back. I would have took wickham for two reasons .. He will be a bit of the unknown to the opposition and mainly because he is in form. I would have only took players who are first choice for their teams and also in form so the likes of wilshire and Milner would not have made it either .
Welbeck offers nothing? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, bit that's a tad silly to be honest.