End of an era

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

End of an era

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27579533

It is interesting to see Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard all within that side.

The recent output from West Ham's academy just don't match up to that golden generation.

There is also Michael Carrick and Glen Johnson who are on the decline as well. Leon Britton was there as well.

I have always liked West Ham because of this home grown generation of players. It's only when I see this that I realise that following this in last decade they have probably had Mark Noble and that is it!

Spyman

Re: End of an era

Post by Spyman » Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 am

They've also produced the likes of Collison and Tomkins, who while not world beaters will go on to have decent careers.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 am

Spyman wrote:They've also produced the likes of Collison and Tomkins, who while not world beaters will go on to have decent careers.
Collison is coming up 26 and has been released by West Ham. I guess he didn't show enough at Bournemouth or Wigan to earn a new deal.

Tomkins is ok but he is also 25 now.

They aren't really comparable to the previous cohort of talent (realise there are 5 years between the oldest Ferdinand and youngest Johnson).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 27, 2014 10:52 am

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:They've also produced the likes of Collison and Tomkins, who while not world beaters will go on to have decent careers.
Collison is coming up 26 and has been released by West Ham. I guess he didn't show enough at Bournemouth or Wigan to earn a new deal.

Tomkins is ok but he is also 25 now.

They aren't really comparable to the previous cohort of talent (realise there are 5 years between the oldest Ferdinand and youngest Johnson).
Agreed, but name me a club that has consistently churned out young players out that quality and quantity year after year.

Man Utd had a similar crop in the early 90s, but since then have produced the occaisional gem here and there. Other clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool have produced two or three within a generation that have gone on to achieve at the highest level. Everton and Southampton seem to bring through one every few years.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:15 am

Spyman wrote:Agreed, but name me a club that has consistently churned out young players out that quality and quantity year after year.
Completely agree. It is probably a generation thing.

I grew up with all these players coming out of West Ham - that is my lasting impression of that club - it is when I see this I realise how long ago that was.

Kids nowadays will probably see Southampton in that way.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Agreed, but name me a club that has consistently churned out young players out that quality and quantity year after year.
Completely agree. It is probably a generation thing.

I grew up with all these players coming out of West Ham - that is my lasting impression of that club - it is when I see this I realise how long ago that was.

Kids nowadays will probably see Southampton in that way.
To a lesser extent maybe, although they've produced 4 or 5 over a decade, rather than half a dozen that all came through within a couple of years of one another.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 am

Spyman wrote:To a lesser extent maybe, although they've produced 4 or 5 over a decade, rather than half a dozen that all came through within a couple of years of one another.
True which makes West Ham's cohort all the more remarkable.

Lallana, Bale and Walcott were all within a year of each other.

Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher and Chambers are similarly close. The jury is still out on these players though.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:To a lesser extent maybe, although they've produced 4 or 5 over a decade, rather than half a dozen that all came through within a couple of years of one another.
True which makes West Ham's cohort all the more remarkable.

Lallana, Bale and Walcott were all within a year of each other.

Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher and Chambers are similarly close. The jury is still out on these players though.
Walcott left in 2005/06. Lallana made his debut in 2008, however he's 2 years older than Walcott I think.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Spyman wrote:Walcott left in 2005/06. Lallana made his debut in 2008, however he's 2 years older than Walcott I think.
Bale and Walcott were born 1989 and Lallana is 1988. Appreciate they came through at different times.

I completely forgot about Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as well, who is sort of in the middle age wise.

The other 4 are 17-19 I believe?