David Villa Ownership

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

David Villa Ownership

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33 am

At some point player ownership must be looked into.

I remember years ago when Nike were reportedly stopped from buying (the fat) Ronaldo and then leasing him to teams.

Here though we have David Villa signing for New York a club that really only exists on paper and is set to play his first 2 months of the season for Melbourne before being returned to NYC. These clubs including Man City are all owned by the same organisation, at what point are players simply going to hop between teams to suit the needs.

To an extreme example will Aguero and Toure be loaned to NYC for there opening game of the season or cup final for example.

grytters

Re: David Villa Ownership

Post by grytters » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm caught between these two differring mental images:

Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.
And
What are we going to do tonight, Brain?

The same as we do every night, Pinky. Plot. To take over. The World…
Bring Back the Quarters

MCFC Darlo 2
Team Supported: Darlington & Man City

Post by MCFC Darlo 2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:10 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:At some point player ownership must be looked into.

I remember years ago when Nike were reportedly stopped from buying (the fat) Ronaldo and then leasing him to teams.

Here though we have David Villa signing for New York a club that really only exists on paper and is set to play his first 2 months of the season for Melbourne before being returned to NYC. These clubs including Man City are all owned by the same organisation, at what point are players simply going to hop between teams to suit the needs.

To an extreme example will Aguero and Toure be loaned to NYC for there opening game of the season or cup final for example.

No

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Surely what is more likely is that New York City buy Yaya Toure and Aguero from City and then loan them back.

Will certainly help City's FFP for the Champs League. Would free up funds and wages for a couple of other blockbuster signings.

They would have been better buying a club in Russia, Qatar or UAE and doing the same trick. The MLS has quite strict wage caps - at least it used to.

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:20 pm

This sort of thing used to be quite frequent on the continent, particularly in Italy.

I don't remember too many occasions of it happening in this country though. I do agree that it's a rule that needs looking into though - although not in the case of David Villa.

It's not as though Citeh are trying to hide anything - and it's not as though they're even bending the rules in anyway.

On an similar issue - I'm actually quite impressed by City and what they're doing for the local communities etc.
Northern League Champions 2013

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 am

City seem to be trying to set up something similar to what their rivals in red have had going for the last 15 years or so. Linking up with other clubs abroad to help them develop players out of the spotlight. Man Utd had (have?) a similar link with a Belgian club, possibly Antwerp, with limited success.

I can't see City sending players like Toure and Aguero out for big games in Australia/America though, as clearly the purpose is for those clubs to support City and not vice-versa.
Last edited by Spyman on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 am

£helsea have something similar with Vitesse don't they?

You're right though, what City are doing is nothing new. It's been happening for years.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm

I was joking with the example of Aguero & Toure.

The difference in the case of Man City and United / Chelsea is that they are simply buying clubs, there is no friendly agreement. The owners of City are the same as New York and Melbourne that's where things get murky.

I also find it strange that they made a new club in New York and didn't simply buy the Cosmos, getting the rights to a new MLS premier team franchise does not seem easy nor cheap.

I hear what you are saying TSQuaker in that City are doing some great work in the local communities, but then most of my understanding from that comes from hearing mentions on TV and other media of 'the good work City are doing in the local communities' I couldn't tell you much detail what that good work is.

They are spending a lot money on their academy which seems to be getting a lot of plaudits and a few nods to the 'it will help the english youth' in reality by the time its up and running a vast proportion of the kids there will be foreign yet will be deemed 'home grown' another reason for it.

Im not anti City and they are only doing what is permitted in the game. However I cant help but think these BIG clubs are just finding ways to work around current laws and forcing new laws to come in. The buying of clubs around the world is clearly a way to beat the FFP and i'm not sure is in the spirit of the game.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Of course it isn't in the spirit of the game, but very little these days is, throughout more levels than just the very top unfortunately.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I was joking with the example of Aguero & Toure.

The difference in the case of Man City and United / Chelsea is that they are simply buying clubs, there is no friendly agreement. The owners of City are the same as New York and Melbourne that's where things get murky.

I also find it strange that they made a new club in New York and didn't simply buy the Cosmos, getting the rights to a new MLS premier team franchise does not seem easy nor cheap.

I hear what you are saying TSQuaker in that City are doing some great work in the local communities, but then most of my understanding from that comes from hearing mentions on TV and other media of 'the good work City are doing in the local communities' I couldn't tell you much detail what that good work is.

They are spending a lot money on their academy which seems to be getting a lot of plaudits and a few nods to the 'it will help the english youth' in reality by the time its up and running a vast proportion of the kids there will be foreign yet will be deemed 'home grown' another reason for it.

Im not anti City and they are only doing what is permitted in the game. However I cant help but think these BIG clubs are just finding ways to work around current laws and forcing new laws to come in. The buying of clubs around the world is clearly a way to beat the FFP and i'm not sure is in the spirit of the game.
Another way to look at it is City are expanding and by buying these clubs it's a good way to promote City as a huge global brand.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 am

[/quote]Another way to look at it is City are expanding and by buying these clubs it's a good way to promote City as a huge global brand.[/quote]

Its not City they are promoting, City is just one of the canvases for their brand. Its the the UAE, Abu Dhabi and there global airline Etihad, which then in turn is used to promote there endless other business activities. Which all seems an incredibly expensive way to put the UAE on the map but sport is the route the Sheikhs have decided to go down and its working.

I seem to be going a little off topic and Man City bashing which i'm not meant to be, I just find the financial power football wields all a little depressing.

MCFC Darlo 2
Team Supported: Darlington & Man City

Post by MCFC Darlo 2 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:27 pm

TSQuaker wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I was joking with the example of Aguero & Toure.

Another way to look at it is City are expanding and by buying these clubs it's a good way to promote City as a huge global brand.
Think you get it TSQuaker.

If only I could get HRH to buy Darlo,would love that.They are fantastic owners,when I look at what we could have won......