World Cup

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TSQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: World Cup

Post by TSQuaker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Very disappointing - Suarez was the difference. He's a world class player, England don't have one.

Defensively, I actually thought Cahill looked all right, until his mis-communication with Gerrard at the end cost us.

But there has to be major doubts over Johnson and Jagielka - except who else comes in?

Up front, Rooney finally looked decent, Welbeck and Sterling struggled to get involved. I think 4-3-3 would work better for England, than Roy's 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1.

I really think Barkley should also start. His energy, pace and creativity gave us an extra spark going forward.

We are all but out, but the Costa Rica game is crucial for the future direction of the team. They need a performance and a result - otherwise there'll be questions about Hodgson, who's done an otherwise decent job since taking over so far in my opinion.

There has been progress, but sadly we're just not good enough right now. Far too familiar story.
Rooney is World Class.
Northern League Champions 2013

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Probably not a disaster in the sense that the FA will feel obliged to roll out someone like Trevor Brooking to conduct and 'root and branch' investigation into why England have had their pants pulled down again (which always goes well, by the way).

This just feels like one of those tournament defeats that's about right - England didn't disgrace themselves, had a bit of a go, but in the end got beat by two opponents who are probably superior. Both games could have gone either way, but both teams had a little bit more than us in the end so things went against us. Basically the tournament performance of a middleweight international team, which is what England are.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm

TSQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Very disappointing - Suarez was the difference. He's a world class player, England don't have one.

Defensively, I actually thought Cahill looked all right, until his mis-communication with Gerrard at the end cost us.

But there has to be major doubts over Johnson and Jagielka - except who else comes in?

Up front, Rooney finally looked decent, Welbeck and Sterling struggled to get involved. I think 4-3-3 would work better for England, than Roy's 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1.

I really think Barkley should also start. His energy, pace and creativity gave us an extra spark going forward.

We are all but out, but the Costa Rica game is crucial for the future direction of the team. They need a performance and a result - otherwise there'll be questions about Hodgson, who's done an otherwise decent job since taking over so far in my opinion.

There has been progress, but sadly we're just not good enough right now. Far too familiar story.
Rooney is World Class.
Depends on your definition of world class.

I certainly wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez and the like - technically superior players who can win matches on their own.

Rooney does have the ability to be world class, and has at times demonstrated that, mainly for club rather than country.

But he certainly hasn't produced it consistently on the international stage (which is what I'm referring to here).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:10 am

What we need to do is pay our players an extra 500 grand a week each. Job done. That'll sort it. That'll make them world class. 100 grand a week for an average player just isn't enough.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:05 am

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:I reckon zee germans will finally break their 2nd 3rd place jinx at recent tournaments and win it...

England out in the group stages i'm afraid :cry:

Fancy the Belgians to reach the quarters/semis as well
yep i was right ...ffs decent preformances in both games but we are just a 2nd/3rd rate world footie power simple as.... bit of practice and we may win the world cup in 2030 but fuck all till then :cry:

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:31 am

TSQuaker wrote:

Rooney is World Class.
Jesus Christ, it beggars belief
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 am

If Italy don't win tonight then I would pull Gerrard, Jagielka, Baines and Rooney out of the final match. Stick Wilshere, Jones, Shaw and Barkley in there.

If Italy win then we go into Costa Rica match needing to win 2-0, we can't even think about the dependency on Italy/Uruguay. I wouldn't change the team from what we had yesterday.

The second goal had a number of possible permutations.
a) a flick on from Cavani
b) Gerrard winning the header properly or
c) ball misses both of them and bounces to Cahill
d) Gerrard closes his eyes (at least that's what it looked like to me) and doesn't cleanly win the header
Good anticipation or luck that it was d which transpired?

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:12 am

joejaques wrote:That's the first leg of my treble up, come on Uruguay & Costa Rica. :roll:
Two up and one to come. Costa Rica to pay for my Season Ticket. :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am

joejaques wrote:
joejaques wrote:That's the first leg of my treble up, come on Uruguay & Costa Rica. :roll:
What odds did you get on Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica as a treble?

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:14 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:
TSQuaker wrote:

Rooney is World Class.
Jesus Christ, it beggars belief
He is. He's consistently performed for a number of years at the highest level. He seems to be the scapegoat for England fans at the moment and I find that astonishing given what he brings to the team.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:46 pm

TSQuaker wrote: He is. He's consistently performed for a number of years at the highest level. He seems to be the scapegoat for England fans at the moment and I find that astonishing given what he brings to the team.
He's not world class.

He's nowhere near world class as is shown everytime he's asked to perform at the highest level.

He's a flat track bully who regularly goes missing in big games, he's positionally ill disciplined, flustered in front of goal and is generally flattered by the fact he plays in a successful club side surrounded by quality players, and is hyped beyond all recognition by the Premier League-centric British press mugs like you lap up.

Don't get me wrong, he's one of Englands better players and scapegoating him for our failures is ridiculous but he is not anywhere near 'world class'.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 pm

There is a reason why he plays in a successful club side. Nothing do with me wanking over the Premier League :lol:

His goalscoring record is fantastic, for both club and country. I'm not sure what you fail to see in him?

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I didn't have particularly high hopes for England in this tournament but I never imagined that our last game would end up being a dead rubber with us already out and Costa Rica already through.

Still, at least Roy is staying. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27945473

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:I didn't have particularly high hopes for England in this tournament but I never imagined that our last game would end up being a dead rubber with us already out and Costa Rica already through.

Still, at least Roy is staying. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27945473
Why shouldn't he stay on?

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Well you could argue that worst ever performance in a World Cup and losing to two teams that Costa Rica made look like mugs might be grounds for sacking him.

It's a pointless discussion though as he won't be going anywhere, mainly because there aren't any credible candidates who would take the job at the moment.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm

I can see Uruguay going through now! Fair play to Costa Rica brilliant achievement. Once it got to the point that Italy didn't have time left to win I was rooting for them (I am talking like 88mins onwards)!

If Uruguay go through it could turn into a very bad tournament for European sides!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:38 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:Well you could argue that worst ever performance in a World Cup and losing to two teams that Costa Rica made look like mugs might be grounds for sacking him.

It's a pointless discussion though as he won't be going anywhere, mainly because there aren't any credible candidates who would take the job at the moment.
Not sure what your point is. You roll your eyes at Hodgson staying then say it's a pointless discussion.

If you don't want him to stay, who would you want to take over?

Hodgson has done well since taking over. The tournament result is hugely disappointing yes, but the performances haven't been dreadful, certainly nowhere near as bad as 2010.

But with some talented youngsters coming through, at least there is some grounds for optimism, again something we didn't have four years ago.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote: Not sure what your point is. You roll your eyes at Hodgson staying then say it's a pointless discussion.

If you don't want him to stay, who would you want to take over?
In an ideal world, someone who is a progressive coach with ideas how to play the game the right way.

You can't polish a turd but I can't help but feel that someone like Brendan Rogers or Roberto Martinez would get way more out of this group. Neither would be interested in the job of course but someone of that ilk would be the sort of manager I'd be looking for.

I'm not sure how you can say Hodgson has done well. We went out of the last tournament after an abject performance where we somehow hung on for penalties and this time we're out with a group game to spare. Hardly impressive.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Before the tournament, we were considered to be the third best team in the group. We've had 2 narrow defeats to two very good teams. Have we really under performed that much?

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:42 pm

al_quaker wrote:Before the tournament, we were considered to be the third best team in the group. We've had 2 narrow defeats to two very good teams. Have we really under performed that much?
Probably not but it's hardly 'doing well' as Darlogramps thinks.

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Anyway, back to the tournament. The Frogs are looking pretty impressive here.

I doubt they'll win it but at least they haven't utterly imploded this time. :)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:06 pm

WeAreDFC wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Before the tournament, we were considered to be the third best team in the group. We've had 2 narrow defeats to two very good teams. Have we really under performed that much?
Stop twisting what I said to suit your own ends. It's a bit more complex than how you're describing it.

I don't think Hodgson has done a bad job. I really don't see how Rodgers or Martinez could improve, particularly as neither have major international experience. And it's highly unlikely either would want to manage England at this present moment anyway.

Put it another way, I don't see what more Hodgson could have done. Given the lack of quality English players he's doing the job with one hand tied behind his back.

For an England manager, he's been quite bold in picking younger players. Under him, we're performing probably at the level we should be (like it or not, we're not as good as the French, the Argentines, the Dutch, the Brazilians etc).

And there's potential for development. We've a young squad, which should improve.

Results wise, this tournament wasn't good. Performance wise, it's the best England have played since Euro 2004. It's progress, but needs to be translated into results.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
WeAreDFC wrote:
Stop twisting what I said to suit your own ends. It's a bit more complex than how you're describing it.

I don't think Hodgson has done a bad job. I really don't see how Rodgers or Martinez could improve, particularly as neither have major international experience. And it's highly unlikely either would want to manage England at this present moment anyway.

Put it another way, I don't see what more Hodgson could have done. Given the lack of quality English players he's doing the job with one hand tied behind his back.

For an England manager, he's been quite bold in picking younger players. Under him, we're performing probably at the level we should be (like it or not, we're not as good as the French, the Argentines, the Dutch, the Brazilians etc).

And there's potential for development. We've a young squad, which should improve.

Results wise, this tournament wasn't good. Performance wise, it's the best England have played since Euro 2004. It's progress, but needs to be translated into results.
Hodgson has been exposed time and time again at Blackburn and Liverpool. His decision to retain Johnson (defensively inept) and Wellbeck (plays for Man U seems to be his only qualification) beggars belief. Good football executive and jolly good chap and all that but against any measure Hodgson is limited. Manages a team of multi-millionaires against a country with a tenth of our population and still can't deliver. Hardly effective use of resources compared to the Costa Rican methods..

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:46 pm

I can't think of many convincing alternatives to Johnson at RB. The obvious choice is Walker, who is injured. Welbeck played well against Italy, and has a 1 in 3 goalscoring record for England. A good record for someone who doesn't strictly play up front.

It's all very well people saying this player pr that player isn't good enough, but I can't think of many alternatives to the squad, or indeed the team that has played the 2 matches so far. The lack of English talent isn't Hodgson's fault.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Kyle walker hardly shows defensive master classes when he does play anyway! Flanagan might be the answer here but it is a bit early to say!

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:17 pm

TSQuaker wrote:There is a reason why he plays in a successful club side. Nothing do with me wanking over the Premier League :lol:
He was a promising youngster who was bought buy a manager who bought more than his fair share of duds - don't know what point you're trying to make with this one?
His goalscoring record is fantastic, for both club and country. I'm not sure what you fail to see in him?
His goal scoring record against lesser teams is excellent, as you'd expect from a forward of his reputation playing in a side of supposed superstars. His goal scoring record and performances against big teams in big games is woeful.

Put down The Sun and think for yourself.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:Kyle walker hardly shows defensive master classes when he does play anyway! Flanagan might be the answer here but it is a bit early to say!
Well indeed. Oh for the days of Gary Neville!

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:23 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:
TSQuaker wrote:There is a reason why he plays in a successful club side. Nothing do with me wanking over the Premier League :lol:
He was a promising youngster who was bought buy a manager who bought more than his fair share of duds - don't know what point you're trying to make with this one?
His goal scoring record against lesser teams is excellent, as you'd expect from a forward of his reputation playing in a side of supposed superstars. His goal scoring record and performances against big teams in big games is woeful.

Put down The Sun and think for yourself.
Here are Rooney goals...some impressive opposition in there like.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09 ... 44210.html

Also his England record.....

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/rooney-intlg.html

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
joejaques wrote:
What odds did you get on Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica as a treble?
A fraction over 48/1. Bet you won't get 13/2 Costa Rica on Tuesday. :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:48 am

princes town wrote: Hodgson has been exposed time and time again at Blackburn and Liverpool.
Another idiot who wants to simplify things to suit their own vendettas. Why do you pick two clubs where Hodgson struggled?

What about Fulham, where he took them to the Europa League final. Or the clubs across Europe where he's had success? Just picking two clubs where he struggles is very selective and shows you up.
princes town wrote: Manages a team of multi-millionaires against a country with a tenth of our population and still can't deliver. Hardly effective use of resources compared to the Costa Rican methods..
The fact they're well paid is irrelevant. Typical leftie way of thinking.

And again, you've been far too simplistic looking at it in population terms. If that was the case, China should be dominating every sport. They don't, because sport doesn't work like that.

There are far more factors involved, but your limited intelligence is seemingly struggling to cope with that.