World Cup

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: World Cup

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Well I am glad that is over now. This tournament has been brilliant so far, goals galore brilliant attacking play until you reached our group and the top seeds in it.

Thought Sturridge was lucky he wasn't sent off - he was never going to reach the ball with the challenge he made - his foot was studs first 8 inches off the ground.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 pm

thought we were unlucky not to win tonight, sturridge had a couple of great chances

In the other game cant believe Suarez! Crazy Genius

Here's my latest blog on the england tourny anyway

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... r-england/

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 pm

princes town wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
princes town wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
I stand by Roy, he has done what most people wanted, blooded the youngsters and given opportunities to players that many others would have overlooked. He also carries himself well on the international stage. However he can only work with what he has so can only achieve so much.
Up to the last sentence I agree. But in the end he has massive resources to play with. These are players who play regularly in the premier league and he doesn't appear to be able to maximise value. I read the Wikipedia review of Hodgson last night and there is a clear pattern emerging. Brilliant when managing small clubs/international teams but seemingly unable to handle big clubs/international teams. I'm not sure if this is because he can't motivate big time charlies or what but the evidence is there.
We lost narrowly to two teams who are better than us. Im not sure what these massive resources hodgson has to play with are? A very good keeper, a shaky defence, and lots of promising, but still very young attacking players. We currently have nobody of the class of suarez or pirlo, and that's ultimately what's made the difference in the two games. I'm not sure what hodgson can do to change that? I the players aren't there, an international manager can't change that.

Massive resources = players on fantastic wages. If Hodgson is beyond reproach, then there is seomething seriously wrong with the remuneration structure for Premier league players. Hodgson also gets £3.5 million and there has to be some performance threshold on which this payment is made. Finishing behind Costa Rica is enough evidence for me that he hasn't delivered. Hazy references to the future are nothing better than the 'golden generation' hype I heard a decade ago. If Hodgson can't do anything useful with this group then perhaps we should get a less high profile manager on a more economic salary. It is money for old rope as far as I am concerned whichever way you look at it and is a piss take on the fans.
Just because our players play in the richest league in the world, doesn't make them better than players who don't play in such a league.

Finishing behind Costa Rica as a definition of not delivering is bizarre. If we'd had finished second behind Costa Rica then by that definition Hodgson still wouldn't have delivered. Costa Rica have exceeded everyone's expectations. Us losing narrowly to Uruguay and Italy, the reigning South American champions, and the runners up in the last Euros, is pretty much in line with my expectations. I'd hoped for more, but I'm not surprised we haven't qualified for the knockout round.

If we'd had been drawn in a weaker group, of which there are several in this world cup, then we would have qualified, before losing narrowly to someone like Uruguay or Italy. In which case people would have probably been satisfied.

The references to the future are because we have a lot of young players (our second youngest world cup squad ever I believe) who have the potential to be very good, but who can't quite compete with the best yet.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Wow, Ivory Coast out after a last minute penalty for Greece! England aside, this has been one of the most exciting and enjoyable World Cups I've ever seen.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 am

[quote="Sidarlo"]In the other game cant believe Suarez! Crazy Genius[/quote

I have to say, I'm getting a little sick of comments like 'genius' 'great footballer but...' the man has surely gone to far now. Its relentless with him.

What irks me more is the dive straight after, the Uruguay player trying to force Chiellini to cover up the mark, the denial of the incident after the game, the blame placed on Chiellini from the Uruguay Captain. The Uruguayan platyer applauding the Italian red card.

The culture that football seems to be breeding of win at all costs has to stop. I know its because of the money, but when you have managers claiming that we need to forget morality its crazy.

I will be interested to see what FIFA do to him, the general talk seems to be of a 24 game / 2 year international ban as the harshest punishment and i suspect they won't want to get involved with banning him for club games as that will open up a huge can of worms with Liverpool lawyers / sponsors.

I would happily never see him play football again.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 am

There is something not quite right in his head. Something snaps and then so does his jaw.

November 2010, April 2013, June 2014. Will they keep coming more frequently now?

The best things are the denials. I like to get the biased view, because it is always amusing my favourite on RAWK is there isn't any evidence and that the images of the bite marks are photoshopped - that's right photoshopped video footage in the immediate aftermath.

It's not particularly dangerous, definitely no more so that Keane's tackle on Haaland & Thatcher's elbow amongst others. At the same time it is just really, really weird.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:19 am

lo36789 wrote:it is just really, really weird.
HA HA, that just made me laugh.

Your correct, im not sure why biting seems to infuriate me more then an over the top tackle (Keane's a particular example) but it does.

I doubt you could find a game he has played over the past few years where he has not cheated. Be it diving, feigning injury ect ect.

People argue its all about margins and a determination to win, I think its cheating and that's why I would love to see him seriously banned.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:The culture that football seems to be breeding of win at all costs has to stop. I know its because of the money, but when you have managers claiming that we need to forget morality its crazy.
Agreed, and this is one of the things I hate most about football. Players complain to the ref (often swarming around him) about every decision, whether it was a correct call or not, and constantly try to con the ref by putting their hands up, diving, feigning injury, holding up an imaginary card etc. etc. etc. Apparently the need to time waste leads to an outbreak of a dangerous, contagious, completely debilitating strain of cramp. What a happy coincidence that is! And after playing football myself for most of my life, I can tell that the vast majority of facial grimaces, the holding of a certain body part to indicate where the big bad man has hurt you, and incapacitating injuries are complete and utter bollocks. It's like I'm watching a show at the theatre at times with all the acting going on!

But cheating to gain any advantage you can has just become so ingrained in the culture of football that I'm not sure how you would stop it? It really is like a disease at times.

As for Suarez: hit the fucker with the biggest ban possible!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:57 am

Suarez is mad. It's as simple as that.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:I doubt you could find a game he has played over the past few years where he has not cheated. Be it diving, feigning injury ect ect.
He even needed a handball to score against Mansfield :thumbdown: If I was a football manager I wouldn't want him in my team.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Four month ban from all footballing activities imposed by FIFA.
Northern League Champions 2013

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Suarez over Ronaldo anytime for me. At least he looked interested whereas Ronaldo's petulance. egotism and complete lack of enthusiasm was beyond belief. Came across like a spoilt brat.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 am

princes town wrote:Suarez over Ronaldo anytime for me. At least he looked interested whereas Ronaldo's petulance. egotism and complete lack of enthusiasm was beyond belief. Came across like a spoilt brat.
Liverpool fan in defending the undefendable shocker.

You're a disgrace.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:45 am

The Big Dawg wrote:Liverpool fan in defending the undefendable shocker.

You're a disgrace.
I thought princes town supported Blackburn?

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:09 am

lo36789 wrote:

You're a disgrace.
Pretty sure he's displayed Liverpool sympathies on here before.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:10 am

The Big Dawg wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

You're a disgrace.
Scandalous accusation. :o The only thing I like about Liverpool is Brendon Rogers and I also share a common bond of suffering in the form of Roy Hodgson. On the point Suarez he is a complete knob (completely wrong) but nobody says a word about Ronaldo whose body language resembled that of a spoilt child. Both players are pretty low down in my estimation.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:09 pm

princes town wrote:but nobody says a word about Ronaldo
That's because Ronaldo didn't bite anyone.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm

princes town wrote:
The Big Dawg wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

You're a disgrace.
Scandalous accusation. :o The only thing I like about Liverpool is Brendon Rogers and I also share a common bond of suffering in the form of Roy Hodgson. On the point Suarez he is a complete knob (completely wrong) but nobody says a word about Ronaldo whose body language resembled that of a spoilt child. Both players are pretty low down in my estimation.
Well, he can take his pet lip home with him now, like our Wonderful Wayne. :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Glad that there's no goal music at the World Cup. Well done FIFA ( :thumbup: )
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

WeAreDFC

Post by WeAreDFC » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Argentina were terrible there. No 'big' team seems to be standing out so far.

I'm starting to think that Brazil will end up fluking their way to winning the whole thing.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:55 pm

France have impressed me so far. Quietly getting on with it.

I reckon France, Netherlands, Argentina and Columbia to make the semi finals, although Belgium winning wouldn't surprise me.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am

Nice to have 3 out of 4 ties which I am struggling to call. The better teams have not performed as they should but that always means they have another gear to go into.

France's strengths are Germany's weaknesses which should make it an interesting game. The lack of pace and 'width' (not sure how else to describe that they don't have any full backs) in the German defence is obvious. That is where France can do them. If the Germans get going though they are a force. prediction: France

NL will be a step too far for Costa Rica I think but what an achievement for them. prediction: Netherlands

I think Colombia will be the better team but Brazil will win. I am anticipating a very very frustrating game. prediction: Brazil

From what I have seen Belgium started to click a little bit last night, they were met by a very impressive USA back line but Belgium showed they have the class. The Argies really don't seem to have much beyond their front 4 and the Belgium attack of Lukaku/Origi, De Bruyne, Hazard and Mertens could run riot on their defence. Looking at the head-2-heads I am thinking a Belgium win. prediction: Belgium

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:02 am

I go along with 3 out of 4 of your predictions, and reasoning. However Germany!!

They'll find a way of invading, ooops I mean beating France.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't bet against Germany.

I can see them just skirting round the Varane/Koscielny Line and blitzkrieging their way down the French right flank whilst Matuidi, Benzema and Valbuena are being kept occupied out of the way.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Germany. Wow.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm

So as I said, I'd not have many of the Brazil team in the England team. Take two of their three best players out and they crumbled.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:26 am

On a slightly seperate note, (I only saw the second half so may not be applicable in the first, when the game was tighter), but Germany didn't look all that defensively - Brazil wasted several chances in the second half and the score probably could have been 7-4 if their finishing was better.

I'd fancy either Holland or an in form Argentina front-line to punish them, so we could be in for a thrilling final with the attacking talent on display.

DC

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

You missed out, Spyman.

The first half was just a German master class in pressing and not allowing the opposition any space to play outside of their own half. The Brazilian front four barely got a kick and Luiz Gustavo and Fernandinho were just completely overrun in midfield.

By the second half, the game was already won, Hummels had gone off and the game opened up a bit more for Brazil, but if Germany can play like they did in the first half for a longer period in the final, then I can see Robben and van Persie/Messi and Higuain struggling to see a lot of the ball.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Quite a few records were taken last night...

The match was a record 13th time Germany (including West Germany) reached the last four, and the 12th semi-final they played (Germany reached the 1974 final after coming through a second group stage). In addition, multiple scoring records were broken during the game:

Miroslav Klose broke the record for the most goals scored at the finals with 16, overtaking Brazil's Ronaldo.

It was the first time five (5) goals were scored in a 29-minute period of play.

It was the fastest four goals scored in World Cup history as Germany scored four (4) in the span of six minutes (from 23 to 29).

It was Brazil's worst ever home defeat.

It was Brazil's worst ever defeat, tied with the 0–6 loss to Uruguay in 1920.

Germany became the goal scorer leader at the World Cup finals with 223, passing Brazil's total of 221.

The match contained the most goals scored against the host nation of the World Cup, with Austria defeating Switzerland 7–5 in 1954; the next highest was Brazil, who won 5–2 against hosts Sweden in 1958.

Brazil had never before allowed seven (7) goals playing at home.
The defeat broke Brazil's 62-match home unbeaten streak in competitive matches dating back to its 1–3 loss to Peru in the 1975 Copa America.

It was worst World Cup semi-final defeat suffered by any national team.

It was first time since 1938 that Brazil have lost a World Cup semi-final, as they had progressed in their previous six.

It was the first time that Brazil had conceded more than five World Cup goals since 1938.

Brazil have conceded more than seven goals in a game only during a 4–8 friendly defeat to Yugoslavia on 3 June 1934.

Brazil is only the second host team to concede seven goals in a World Cup match.

It was Germany's highest half-time lead in a World Cup match, with their previous best being 4–0 against Saudi Arabia at the 2002 FIFA World Cup (their greatest win, 8–0).

Only two teams have previously trailed by five goals at half-time: Zaire (vs. Yugoslavia in 1974) and Haiti (vs. Poland in 1974).

No other team has ever scored seven goals in the semi-finals of the World Cup.

Thomas Müller scored Germany's 2,000th goal in the history of their national team.

Müller became the third player in history to score five or more goals in two different World Cups (after Cubillas and Klose).

Toni Kroos' first-half double was the fastest pair of goals scored in World Cup history, as he scored twice in just 69 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm

When operation win World Cup is launched, the world will hold it's breath.

Germany !! They are unstoppable - I wish I'd put that bet on now.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:53 pm