The World Cup final

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

The World Cup final

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am

So, who do we all fancy? I reckon it has to be Germany - they seem the complete package. Argentina will try to hold them, and it could be dull but Germany are better than Holland and will get a goal to liven things up.

And while I'm on about the German's, I've noticed that they have really successful goal scoring technique. They've used it throughout the tournament and against Brazil 3 or 4 times the other night.

They get themselves in the box seemingly in a good position to shoot then - Doof - the lightening quick reverse pass to a better placed player, who simply does not miss. The organisation and cool headedness is impressive. They've obviously worked at this and it seems just about impossible to defend against.

Germany 2 Argentina 0
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Re: The World Cup final

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:36 am

yeh that rare method of passing to a better placed player, they really nail it.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Obviously not Argentina. By any measure one of the worst teams ever to reach a world cup final.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:yeh that rare method of passing to a better placed player, they really nail it.
Yeh lo, they really do! 17 goals so far - 5 more than any other team. And if the "passing to a better placed player" technique was that easy, all the other teams would be doing it too, except that the player in on goal will fluff his shot/or it will be saved/or he'll mistime his pass/or they'll be no one available to pass to. That's what I'm getting at.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:29 pm

You hit nail on the head at the very end.

It's not really about the mystical pass back, it the way they push players forward. Other teams try to pass the ball but they don't have as many options as the Germans.

Muller, Gotze, Klose, Ozil and Khedira they are usually guaranteed to find one of them.

It actually comes down to their confidence in Lahm/Schweinsteiger in that DM role that provides all the defensive protection.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm

The Germans are a superb team The options they have and their skill level are unbelievable. I will say after watching last night that the Dutch have some seriously good young players coming through. Clasie and Wijnaldum look really promising. Premier clubs should be making enquiries.

The only disappointment for me about this world cup is the further decline of African and English football and the absence of quality strikers (Mueller aside). I can feel some sympathy for Messi as he has nobody to assist him. I expect Germany to hammer Argentina.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Was a good final, the right team won, wasn't a pretty game of football but a hard fought contest none the less.

All we need now is for Spyman to show up and tell us that none of the German players would get in the England team.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:27 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:Was a good final, the right team won, wasn't a pretty game of football but a hard fought contest none the less.

All we need now is for Spyman to show up and tell us that none of the German players would get in the England team.
Ha - no chance! None of the Brazil team would get in the German team either.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC