Hereford United 0 - 2 St Neots Town

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Hereford United 0 - 2 St Neots Town

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:02 pm

More fans outside the ground than in it because of a boycott.

I also noticed that Stockport continued where they left off last season, by getting beaten at home in the Conference North.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hereford United 0 - 2 St Neots Town

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 am

I don't really understand the Hereford situation. Are they boycotting against the owners or something? Are the same owners there though after their insolvency event?

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:57 am

They're boycotting against the new owner, Tommy Agombar who, they say, is only there for what he can get out of it. He says otherwise.

The fans seem split between those who say they club they knew is no more and want to start a new one, and those who went to the game yesterday. The former seem to be wanting their Trust to lead the way in setting up the new club, but they're the Trust of the existing club so they're not able to help.

They're trying to force Agombar out so they can stay at Edgar Street but if they start a new club up then they'll lose Edgar Street. They can't have it both ways, and it reminds me of the talk of setting up a phoenix club here - a lot of talk but it never got any further than that.

I can't see an easy way out of their situation, but I don't think a boycott will achieve much apart from drive a few more nails into the club's coffin.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Don't know the ins and outs of the new owner I suppose. I dunno if you can do much as a fan though but get behind the club in whatever form it currently has.

If they are convinced things could go pear shaped then they might be best started up a contingency fund - the trust's £50k did some good in the end for us after all. Some owners when they realise there isn't much money to take from the lower league may be happy to cut their losses and sell their stake in the club to the Trust. They might even throw in the footballing share as well...

I wonder. I know we have to look after ourselves first and formost because nobody else will do it for us. Would Hereford fans groups benefit from a deeper understanding of what went on with us.

They may be able to come up with their own strategy to prevent it, or at least reduce the impact if it happens to them - I know there is a poster on here from Hereford from time time so they probably know the jist. There was some mainstream media on us at the time as well but I don't think it even tells the full story.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:Don't know the ins and outs of the new owner I suppose. I dunno if you can do much as a fan though but get behind the club in whatever form it currently has.

If they are convinced things could go pear shaped then they might be best started up a contingency fund - the trust's £50k did some good in the end for us after all. Some owners when they realise there isn't much money to take from the lower league may be happy to cut their losses and sell their stake in the club to the Trust. They might even throw in the footballing share as well...

I wonder. I know we have to look after ourselves first and foremost because nobody else will do it for us. Would Hereford fans groups benefit from a deeper understanding of what went on with us.

They may be able to come up with their own strategy to prevent it, or at least reduce the impact if it happens to them - I know there is a poster on here from Hereford from time time so they probably know the jist. There was some mainstream media on us at the time as well but I don't think it even tells the full story.
I think they could definitely benefit from our experience but it's hard to talk to them as they don't allow anyone to join their message board.

I think they all need to eat humble pie and support the club they've got, while they still have it (and save for a rainy day, like you said). Their Trust sounds a bit more communicative than ours was, but I get the impression that the boycotters are "talk-the-talk" types who are falling over each other to get to the back of the line when it comes to actually setting about forming a new club. So, they decided to have this boycott, but then what?
Join - Shop - Collect