England Squad post WC 2014

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

England Squad post WC 2014

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm

GK - Forster, Foster and Hart
D - Baines, Cahill, Chambers, Jagielka, Jones, Rose and Stones
M - Colback, Delph, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Townsend and Wilshere
A - Lambert, Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck

I know we have some injuries. How are people feeling about that and who are we expecting to come in to improve things by 2016.

Personally.

I think Nathaniel Clyne deserves a go at RB. I assume that it will be Chambers playing there? Danny Rose hasn't particularly impressed me but he is really just filling in for Shaw (Has Cole officially retired?)

In midfield wow. Colback and Delph. We have a few to come in namely Wilshere, Lallana and Barkley? Other than that has Carrick now officially been ditched/retired? I think I would have preferred Jack Cork to Delph.

Up top. Rooney and Sturrige are fine. I am hoping for Wickham, Rodriguez and Ings to push on by 2016.

TSQuaker

Re: England Squad post WC 2014

Post by TSQuaker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Let's be honest, we could play me and you upfront against San Marino and still get three points. It's a group we should have no problem getting out of, even with the younger lads getting game time.
Northern League Champions 2013

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Michael Carrick is currently injured. Hodgson stated in a radio interview that he will feature when he returns.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:39 pm

A lot of injuries, so its forgivable, but it really looks a poor squad.

I'd expect Carrick to come back to add some experience in midfield now that Gerrard and Lampard have retired.

Cole is retired, so behind Baines and Shaw you have Rose and Stones I suppose as options. Maybe Flanagan?

I'd say you're right on Clyne. He was favoured over Chambers last season at Southampton, but a big club haven't forked out £16mill on him.

No surprises up top - maybe a bit surprised to see Townsend back in the frame as he seems to have gone a bit stale in the last 9 months.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Flanagan is injured at the moment otherwise I would have expected to see him ahead of Rose.

I thought the same about Townsend, but then I couldn't think who else would play instead!? Nathan Redmond is probably the next best who plays a similar role.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm

We already have Chamberlain, Milner and Sterling who can play wide right.

We're really lacking in depth up top. After the 4 that were at the World Cup we really have nobody who has proved themselves at any kind of level. Hopefully another Owen/Rooney-esq wonderkid burst onto the scene in the next 2 seasons.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 pm

That James Wilson from Man United looks a very good young prospect.

Perhaps he can be nurtured into a class talent.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 am

Yep agree about depth upfront. It is so difficult to judge someone like Wilson, Michael Bridges looked canny at his age! They could be out there and are still 16 playing u18s football. They may not emerge until next season, there is always hope!

I am thinking back to the time when we were able to leave 2 of Shearer, Owen, Sheringham, Fowler, Ian Wright & Andy Cole at home. Then on reflection our wide options are much better than Darren Anderton was at the same time...

Jordan Ibe should start to come good at Liverpool soon (ex-Wycombe youngster, played first team when he was 15/16).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 am

I've not seen much of Wilson to be honest. Van Gaal seems to rate him.

Don't forget Les Ferdinand as well - another good striker who didn't get much of a look in for England due to the strength we had in the late 90s.

Back then we famously never had anyone left footed though, although the likes of Barmby and Sinclair did decent jobs when called upon from what I remember. I always thought it was a travesty that Jason Wilcox didn't get a proper chance - I remember him playing one friendly, getting man of the match, and never being picked again!

DC

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Spyman wrote:We already have Chamberlain, Milner and Sterling who can play wide right.

We're really lacking in depth up top. After the 4 that were at the World Cup we really have nobody who has proved themselves at any kind of level. Hopefully another Owen/Rooney-esq wonderkid burst onto the scene in the next 2 seasons.
Patrick Bamford, watch this space.....

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am

Comparing it to the team I picked out post world cup I wasn't too far wrong. Although with whats available I don't think we have many options

But my its a poor squad even when you take into account those injured I don't think it would improve us much. Who are those injured, Shaw, Carrick, Flanagan do any of those really improve that squad?

We are sadly lacking and I very worried this is the start of a downward spiral when you look at it on paper. In terms of Caps, Milner is our second most capped player a very mediocre player.

I just don't think we have the players at the moment, but it would be nice if we had a manager who could look outside the top clubs and come up with something original, and no I don't think Delph, Colbeck are original they strike me as desperate.

We have an easy group on paper but I have a feeling we are going to make real hard work of it and could see us fighting for 2nd or 3rd.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:12 am

Shaw, Carrick, Flanagan, Barkley, Smalling (I think), Johnson (again, I think), Walker, Walcott off the top of my head.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 am

Spyman wrote:Shaw, Carrick, Flanagan, Barkley, Smalling (I think), Johnson (again, I think), Walker, Walcott off the top of my head.
Thanks Spy, so from that list I'd be excited to see Barclay and Walcott included in the squad but the rest don't over excite me. I don't think Smalling for example should be anywhere near the England squad.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:08 pm

So if Smalling, Johnson and Walker wouldn't be in your squad, who would you pick at right back? They may not be the best names in the world but they're all we have unfortunately.

Carrick would be a must for me now. We need an experienced head in midfield (or in the team, full stop), and we don't have many of those left now with Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard and Lampard all retiring in recent years.

Walcott borderline for me - definitely an option for the squad but I'm not sure he'd be in my starting eleven. I prefer Oxlade-Chamberlain wide right, or Sterling.

I don't get the fascination people have with looking outside of the top few clubs for players - and you seem to be implying Hodgson doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong).

For starters, the top clubs will have most of the top players. It's no coincidence. There are always a few dotted lower down the Premiership, and this is usually reflected in the squad.

Hodgson took 3 Southampton players to the World Cup, 3 Everton players, 3 Man Utd, one from Celtic, one from West Brom - that's half the squad right there that didn't play for clubs who finished top 4. Out of Cahill, Johnson, Lampard, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hart, and Milner there are only 2 or 3 whose place in the squad you could really debate.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 am

I didn't say I wouldn't be looking to Johnson and Walker I just said they don't excite me and whilst I also tend to agree with you on Carrick the general feeling was that the squad is poor due to injuries the point I was trying to make is that's its not the injuries that make it look weak its just the lack of players we have.

Walcott is an option that added to the squad offers us an improvement on what is in there. On form Sterling is starting for England but lets see how Theo does when he comes back, a lot of people were talking Arsenal up last season until his and Ramsey's injury.

With regards looking outside the tops teams, it comes from years and years of managers defaulting to the top clubs its almost like they don't trust there own judgement and wait to see who Fergie & Jose pick. Hodgson probably has tried to look more than most but this I think comes down to limited options within the top teams.

I find it amazing that almost as a player makes a move to a 'top' club they get a call for the England Squad. I am sure the likes of Smalling, Wellbeck, P Jones would not be getting a look in if they played at say Sunderland. Nor would Chambers had he still been at Southampton.

The other issue I have is that once picked they don't seem to have the faith in them and again go back to the default, how much time did these lower team players get at the World Cup (and would have got if we had to play 3 proper games). There seemed to be little interest in getting the likes of these players on. This Euro qualifiers does give that opportunity I guess.

Spy I agree with a lot of what you say and there is no quick fix, I think my ramblings come more from frustration and trying to find answers than actually coming up with anything useful. I like Roy, we are not a great team these days but I think he at least carries himself in a dignified way and is an Englishman doing the best he can with what he has got, it just seems that we are starting to cross our fingers and hope things get better. While the Premier League is the leading force in our game and the FA are as incapable as they are what hope do we have.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am

I think it's a combination of us just not having a great pool to pick from and injuries making matters worse.

I disagree on Wellbeck and Jones - I think they're both good players. Jones went through a rough spell last season but I do think he stands out above Smalling, and I'd try and get him in with Cahill as our first choice pairing now.

Looks like Wellbeck will be moved on from Man Utd today but I expect this to benefit him - he's been shunted from position to position over the last couple of years and being the main man at a club like Sunderland may bring him on to the next level.

Chambers though is a good example of your point - he was Nathaniel Clyne's understudy for much of last season and Clyne has started the season well, but Chambers seems to have leap-frogged him despite only featuring sporadically so far for Arsenal.

I stand by what I said though, the best players tend to play at the best teams and so it makes sense to pick predominantly from this pool. These players will also have more big game experience, and experience playing in Europe against different styles.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 am

Jack Rodwell and Micah Richards could be back in the fold by France 2016. Both have got moves away from the young English players graveyard that is Manchester City. Can they come good on their potential?

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 am

It may not sound like it but I am agreeing with you on most of your points, bigger players end up at bigger clubs and vice versa. I wonder how much of a look in the likes of Cleverly, Wellbeck will get if they move on today although your argument is that they have moved on as there not good enough.

I still do not get Smalling as a good option however, be it for England, United or Fulham. Always looks so nervous to me. Is he much better than Wes Brown, Ryan Shawcross, Curtis Davies, Michael Dawson to throw a few names out there.

Seems to be an interesting move on the cards for Micah Richards as well today. I really want to see him playing again as that 'could' be the answer the the RB issue, although I can see Roy opting to play Chambers at RB to protect him. Not that Wengers seems to think he needs it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

Depends - based on last season, and this season so far, Wellbeck moving to Spurs (which is rumoured) would be considered an upgrade wouldn't it? I didn't say no player outside the Champions League spots is worthy of an International place, just that logic dictates the majority will come from this group of teams.

Cleverley looked really promising two or three years ago. His career has stalled massively. I think so many of these promising Man Utd players had their confidence rocked in a big way last season, although I've never been a big Smalling fan and agree there are equally good players out there - but nobody head and shoulders above him that I can think are being hard done by not being picked. Shawcross is probably the one from your list that you'd say has been consistantly performing at club level and would deserve a chance.

DC

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 pm

I quite like Clyne from Southampton. He impressed me last season on the few times I saw him.
Northern League Champions 2013

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

The sooner Rogers gets the England job the better. He is the guy best equipped to bring on young talent.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

I'd like to see Rodgers over a couple more years at Liverpool, but yes - he does seem one of the better options (although he's not English, so may not even be interested). I think he wants to build something and see it through at Liverpool.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:50 am

Didn't watch it. Don't know anyone that did. I had footy training till 8 then decided instead to listen to Darlo game. Even if I hadn't had that option I wouldn't have bothered!

I see the reports, I can imagine it was awful. I see Hodgson completely uninspiring. I don't know if a Northern Irish bloke would want it but assuming he continues playing how he does with Liverpool it would add some enjoyment.

It just staggers me that Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson all play so freely for club. Then seem to be restricted for country. Is it the pressure, is it the manager and the tactics?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

lo36789 wrote:Didn't watch it. Don't know anyone that did. I had footy training till 8 then decided instead to listen to Darlo game. Even if I hadn't had that option I wouldn't have bothered!

I see the reports, I can imagine it was awful. I see Hodgson completely uninspiring. I don't know if a Northern Irish bloke would want it but assuming he continues playing how he does with Liverpool it would add some enjoyment.

It just staggers me that Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson all play so freely for club. Then seem to be restricted for country. Is it the pressure, is it the manager and the tactics?
It was actually alright! Very comfortable considering it was only 1-0 and some promising performances. We dominated the first half but then seemed to take our foot off the gas in the second half.

It was a young Norwegian side though so I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am

A young England side against a young Norway side then. Half our starting line-up were eligible to play for the U21s I believe.

I didn't watch it as was busy but a wins a win, we tried some different players including what I think could and should be our new central defensive pairing, although I think they need a little more protection from a holding midfielder.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:45 am

Case in point: Ireland won 2-0 last night yet the BBC describe this as a "comfortable" victory which they "eased to".

England win 1-0 against a better side yet this is described as something we "toiled" to achieve and there is a massive focus on our "dismal" World Cup display and the reasons why there has been a drop in attendance. Err, perhaps opportunistic incessantly negative journalism is one reason!

So I check the stats for each game and we had more possession than Ireland did, a similar number of shots, and we actually conceded less chances for the opposition.

Apparently that one goal difference in the scoreline is the only difference between utter despair and utter elation. If only we had converted one of our other chances, then I wouldn't have to commit suicide and would be able to have a celebratory wank instead.

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 am

I know he's only played two/three games but that doesn't really seem to mean much these days. If he carries on playing games for Spurs and maintaining early season form, I'm sure Eric Dier won't be far away in future squads.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 am

Agreed. Looks a good player and I was a little surprised he wasn't in this squad - probably more experienced than Chambers.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Spyman wrote:Agreed. Looks a good player and I was a little surprised he wasn't in this squad - probably more experienced than Chambers.
But not at a big club, sorry couldn't resist and only joking.

I didn't watch the game and can guess what the game was like from reading the reports. However i hear what DarloOnTheUp is saying. The journalists start by telling us as we are a second rate nation these days yet then go on endlessly saying we struggled against another second rate team, in front of 40,000. That is still a lot of people, just with seats for 90,000 it looks bad. Roy seems to be taking flack for the Euro qualifier draw for example.

Its going to be a long ride with England, i just hope we can come out of it, rather than go the way the Scots did, following a league full of foreigners with no recognized national players.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:16 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:Agreed. Looks a good player and I was a little surprised he wasn't in this squad - probably more experienced than Chambers.
But not at a big club, sorry couldn't resist and only joking.

I didn't watch the game and can guess what the game was like from reading the reports. However i hear what DarloOnTheUp is saying. The journalists start by telling us as we are a second rate nation these days yet then go on endlessly saying we struggled against another second rate team, in front of 40,000. That is still a lot of people, just with seats for 90,000 it looks bad. Roy seems to be taking flack for the Euro qualifier draw for example.

Its going to be a long ride with England, i just hope we can come out of it, rather than go the way the Scots did, following a league full of foreigners with no recognized national players.
I have a lot of sympathy for Roy, who as you say is getting flack for doing little wrong.
It also appears to me that the Press are lining up his successor, Glen Hoddle!