Man United & Mid Season Friendlies

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Man United & Mid Season Friendlies

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:13 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29423048

I cant believe there is much in this, other than a conversation about how we can try to limit the Champions league money. However its evident that if a winter break were ever to be brought into England all of these teams would be off oversea's to play friendlies against each other.

Spyman

Re: Man United & Mid Season Friendlies

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Not sure how it works in Italy, Spain etc with their winter break, but they don't all jet all over the world playing friendlies do they?

As far as Man Utd goes, I can see that they are trying to limit financial losses from missing Champions League games, but surely the risk of an injury to key players outweighs this? Imagine Rooney/Van Persie/Di Maria or someone like that broke a leg playing in a meaningless revenue generator and that ultimately impacted on their qualification for the Champions League the following season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Yet another indicator of how Manchester UTD are, and always have been, the instigators and epitomy of everything wrong with modern football.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Spyman wrote:Not sure how it works in Italy, Spain etc with their winter break, but they don't all jet all over the world playing friendlies do they?

As far as Man Utd goes, I can see that they are trying to limit financial losses from missing Champions League games, but surely the risk of an injury to key players outweighs this? Imagine Rooney/Van Persie/Di Maria or someone like that broke a leg playing in a meaningless revenue generator and that ultimately impacted on their qualification for the Champions League the following season.
Listening to LVG on the US tour, I'd be surprised if this was an idea that he was fully behind.
Last edited by TSQuaker on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern League Champions 2013

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:50 am

Although I don't think its relentless the pressure is growing for clubs to play mid season friendlies and I think a lot of this come from who your owners are and where they are from. Ac Milan, Real and PSG are playing in a tournament in Dubai in December this year. Two of which owners are from the Middle East.

I find it very difficult to imagine that given 2 or 3 weeks off the likes of United, Liverpool, Spurs would not be taking there teams away for 'warm weather training' and happen to tag on two prestige friendlies whilst at it.

The German teams seem to be the most loyal toward the time off option.

I find it a difficult debate as my gut feeling is its wrong, however I find the NFL games at Wembley acceptable, which in truth is the same thing, I justify it along the lines that NFL teams simply hop cities anyway so why not countries. The US fans seem well up for it as well.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Although I don't think its relentless the pressure is growing for clubs to play mid season friendlies and I think a lot of this come from who your owners are and where they are from. Ac Milan, Real and PSG are playing in a tournament in Dubai in December this year. Two of which owners are from the Middle East.

I find it very difficult to imagine that given 2 or 3 weeks off the likes of United, Liverpool, Spurs would not be taking there teams away for 'warm weather training' and happen to tag on two prestige friendlies whilst at it.

The German teams seem to be the most loyal toward the time off option.

I find it a difficult debate as my gut feeling is its wrong, however I find the NFL games at Wembley acceptable, which in truth is the same thing, I justify it along the lines that NFL teams simply hop cities anyway so why not countries. The US fans seem well up for it as well.
But the NFL teams at Wembley are still playing a competetive game, just not at the "home" team's normal venue. Not the same thing at all. :roll: