Do you support more than one club

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlojack66
Team Supported: Darlington

Do you support more than one club

Post by Darlojack66 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Was just curious really I have always been a Swansea fanatic 40 year anniversary
in September.
But I have lived in the North East for 7 years now and consider Darlington as my 2nd club just wondered if any of you Quakers support anyone else when Darlington are away or if the game gets postponed

AndyPark

Re: Do you support more than one club

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I have a soft spot for West Ham United/Middlesbrough.

Get to games if I can and Darlo aren't playing.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Before moving to cardiff I lived in aylesbury bucks and followed aylesbury united more so than darlo as I lived in the town - I've probably been to over 1200 aylesbury games home and away and at 1 point had club record of over 450 consecutive games....that run of games ended when I was old enough to travel the country to watch darlo.....These days darlo are my team with Aylesbury a close 2nd !!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm

karlo-cardiff wrote:Before moving to cardiff I lived in aylesbury bucks and followed aylesbury united more so than darlo as I lived in the town - I've probably been to over 1200 aylesbury games home and away and at 1 point had club record of over 450 consecutive games....that run of games ended when I was old enough to travel the country to watch darlo.....These days darlo are my team with Aylesbury a close 2nd !!
as long as it's not Cardiff, karlo... :thumbup:

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I've no time for cardiff city at all - horrible little club that thinks the whole world are against them because their Welsh - the south Wales echo is the worst paper you could read regarding cardiff and football.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Have a soft spot for Sunderland, use to go with mates who were life long fans when up there on the lash during the Quinn/Super Kev period, saw some great games and cracking nights out when they won the Championship.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 am

I follow Derby County and Arsenal. Derby because I lived in Derby when Brian Clough was manager and they won the Championship, for our younger readers that's the equivalent of winning today's Premiership. Arsenal because I love the way they play football.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:14 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I follow Derby County and Arsenal. Derby because I lived in Derby when Brian Clough was manager and they won the Championship, for our younger readers that's the equivalent of winning today's Premiership. Arsenal because I love the way they play football.
I would class myself as a relatively younger reader? I thought it was called Division One rather than The Championship when Derby won it?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:58 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I follow Derby County and Arsenal. Derby because I lived in Derby when Brian Clough was manager and they won the Championship, for our younger readers that's the equivalent of winning today's Premiership. Arsenal because I love the way they play football.
I would class myself as a relatively younger reader? I thought it was called Division One rather than The Championship when Derby won it?[/quot

Yes it was Division 1, but winning the division was known as winning the Championship.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Darlo always have been my No.1, however if I had to choose a second team it would be Leeds United. This dates back to my school days, late 60’s early 70’s, when they were the best team in England. I can’t say I ‘support’ them but I do wish they would get back into the top flight.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:57 pm

I went through a West Ham stage at one point which was down to being ask "which Premier League side do you support?".

At the time they had Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole and of course Paolo Di Canio.

There was no other driver behind other than I quite liked some of the players they had. Interest dwindled after they lost a few players and pretty much ended when they got relegated - simply put they didn't really fit the original criteria of being my Premier League side anymore, that said it was only after they got relegated that I ever went to game!

alec.g.white7

Post by alec.g.white7 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:55 pm

i am a season ticket holder at Darlo and the Boro.
As a kid my dad took me to Feethams at about 6/7 years old and i was hooked immediately going to every home game for the first team and also the reserves. At about 15 years old i first went to see the Boro for the first time, when they were in the old second division and the game was against Aston Villa. It was a great game 3-3 and Brian Clough and Alan Peacock were both playing, with a crowd of about 48,000 - again i was hooked. So from then on i would watch Darlo one week and the Boro the next. After 50+ years i am still doing the same although the fixtures do clash more these days. I was at Harrogate RA last week and fully enjoyed the day out and the match. A few weeks before that i was at the Man City v Boro FA Cup game - miles apart in football terms - but both just as enjoyable as the other. If you love football then you love football !!!
What price a Darlo and Boro double to both be promoted as Champions?

distantfan
Team Supported: Darlington, West Ham

Post by distantfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:04 pm

I was born and bred in West Ham and they will be my number one till I die but when I was about 10 my best friend and his family moved to Darlington. Going by the name I knew it must be a picturesque and romantic place so I started following Darlo's results.

I've seen them a handful of times, most memorably at Wolverhampton in the 3rd Division in 1985. This was a 3pm kick off in November and Wolves were so broke they couldn't afford to turn the floodlights on, so by the end you could have done with a miner's helmet to tell where the ball was.

I was naturally shocked when we were demoted so far, but I have to say that finding this forum I'm more excited and involved feeling than for years. Thanks.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 pm

distantfan wrote:I was born and bred in West Ham and they will be my number one till I die but when I was about 10 my best friend and his family moved to Darlington. Going by the name I knew it must be a picturesque and romantic place so I started following Darlo's results.

I've seen them a handful of times, most memorably at Wolverhampton in the 3rd Division in 1985. This was a 3pm kick off in November and Wolves were so broke they couldn't afford to turn the floodlights on, so by the end you could have done with a miner's helmet to tell where the ball was.

I was naturally shocked when we were demoted so far, but I have to say that finding this forum I'm more excited and involved feeling than for years. Thanks.
I remember that Wolves game, we were pants and lost something like 3-0. We had great support that day, I think there were 4 coach loads of fans. The support was far better than the team deserved.

Welcome all to our MB. :D :D

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:13 pm

As most young kids do, i supported the best team in the country at the time, so i took a shine to Forest in 1979 and its stuck with me ever since - fortunately i travel with my job, so manage to get a few Forest home and away games every year along with Darlo.

Dreading a Derby-Boro 1/2 this season ! ;)

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 am

middlesbrough first from about 1988 then when i went to college in Darlo in 1995 got ther bug and they are firmly my second team
51% Boro
49% Darlo

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:51 pm

I've had a soft spot for Shrewsbury, ever since me & three mates hitch hiked down there for an FA Cup tie (late 60's?). When we arrived the pitch was knee-deep in snow. The landlord in the pub across the road from the ground was so impressed with us hitching down in mad winter weather, that he offered to put us all up until the replay on Wednesday. Couldn't take him up on it as I had to be back at work on Monday. Also got a Christmas card from the football club the following christmas. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 pm

joejaques wrote:I've had a soft spot for Shrewsbury, ever since me & three mates hitch hiked down there for an FA Cup tie (late 60's?). When we arrived the pitch was knee-deep in snow. The landlord in the pub across the road from the ground was so impressed with us hitching down in mad winter weather, that he offered to put us all up until the replay on Wednesday. Couldn't take him up on it as I had to be back at work on Monday. Also got a Christmas card from the football club the following christmas. :roll:
That's a great story. I bet it took you ages to hitch down there and back, as it's a long trip.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
joejaques wrote:I've had a soft spot for Shrewsbury, ever since me & three mates hitch hiked down there for an FA Cup tie (late 60's?). When we arrived the pitch was knee-deep in snow. The landlord in the pub across the road from the ground was so impressed with us hitching down in mad winter weather, that he offered to put us all up until the replay on Wednesday. Couldn't take him up on it as I had to be back at work on Monday. Also got a Christmas card from the football club the following christmas. :roll:
That's a great story. I bet it took you ages to hitch down there and back, as it's a long trip.
Wasn't that great a story. Went back down on the Wednesday for the rearranged game & we got stuffed. 3-0 going on 7 or 8 if memory serves. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:05 pm

joejaques wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wasn't that great a story. Went back down on the Wednesday for the rearranged game & we got stuffed. 3-0 going on 7 or 8 if memory serves. :roll:
Sounds about normal for Darlo in those days. I've been to stacks of games and we've often got hammered.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Grew up watching Sunderland at Roker Park, then when I lived in Durham, I went to Sunderland, sometimes Newcastle and even Poolie once or twice as my group of mates was a mixture of SAFC, NUFC and Poolie fans...

I still look out for Sunderland results now, but in 2006, I took to Darlo...
I wont forget going to Stoke in 2006 in the League Cup, there couldn't have been more than a few hundred Darlo there, we became my one and only team :D
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Leeds for me as i was born there. i have a soft spot for york too as i spent 2 seasons following them home and away when i lived there.

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Nottingham Forest for me-being from Eastwood-played with Tony Woodcock when I was in my teens and went on to see him play for Forest in the European Cup Final in Munich.
I've supported Darlo from the early 80's -Darlo was the team I played with when I first starting playing Subbute-I still have that team even today with the 3 black hoops across the front.

The Ozzman
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 am

My dad is a Manchester United fan, so my first real experience of football came from watching them on the telly. He used to go quite a lot when he was younger but keeps reminding me that he couldn't afford to keep his season ticket after I was born. :lol:

I do look out for their results, but that's as far as it goes.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 pm

As a Mancunian I have supported City all my life but as a 10 year old got hooked on Darlo due to them also sending me a set of programmes when I only wrote off for autographs.They were the only club to do this that I wrote to.

Seen Darlo at a lot of grounds since despite being a City season ticket holder and to be honest if you gave me the choice of either club being Champions this season it would be Darlo I would choose.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:49 am

Everton :shock:

When i started following Darlo mid 80s as a kid Everton were the best team in the country so like a glory hunting man utd fan of the 90s or Chelsea fan in the 2000s i decided to support them as well.....

Still look out for there results and go and watch em now and then if playing local but wouldnt consider myself a hardcore fan or anything

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Everton too but, as older, it was because of their team that won the league in 1970. I haven't seen them play for years but I still consider them as my second team.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Always interests me how those fans who have no connection to Darlo came to support them . . . and stayed with them since

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:15 pm

My mate Andreas from Sweden, got involved with Darlo in a very strange way. His parents bought a second hand computer and it came with an old football manager game, The first team he played for on it was Darlo and now he's a big fan and he's been over here 4 times to watch us play.