Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » The Terraces
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9505
Team Supported: Darlington
I know that the Premiership is reckoned to be one of the best leagues in the World, but the performance of English sides in Europe would say, that we've dropped well behind the pecking order. What's going wrong?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7493
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Luck of draw/poor team performances on the night. I don't really think it is much beyond that. I am not even sure what that term even means - 'best league' is surely a measure of the entertainment factor of that league and audience figures back up that statement all day long.

Premier League has a top 5/6 now who if all our teams qualify you would expect them to make last 16. Liverpool were playing like a bottom half team when they got knocked out ultimately. If that holds true we still have a quarter of the top teams in Europe.

At that point you are up against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munchen, Juventus and PSG who have spending power and pull which equals the PL clubs - it just becomes luck of the draw.

I am half expecting the champs league this year to be some sort of election speel of UKIP now. To demonstrate that british jobs for foreign workers worsens our competitiveness.

Don't get fooled by the pundits/press who are ever searching for their legacy soundbite.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9505
Team Supported: Darlington
I see that England could lose it's 4th spot in the Champions League, due to the poor performances of teams in Europe over recent years.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7493
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
could or will? Isn't it already pre determined by a formula so there shouldn't be any could about it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9505
Team Supported: Darlington
I'm not sure, but next season may be the last for some time. I don't know if anything is set in stone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 228
Team Supported: Darlington
The Premier League is probably the most competitive league in the world, but La Liga would probably have the edge in terms of top end quality.

_________________
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:
I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.


What about Steve Backley?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9505
Team Supported: Darlington
With the latest TV deal, a few of our Premiership sides will be able to compete with any European side. So in theory the best players in the world could be playing in the Premiership very shortly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10815
Team Supported: Darlington
ArmchairDieHard wrote:
The Premier League is probably the most competitive league in the world, but La Liga would probably have the edge in terms of top end quality.

How are you quantifying competitive?

Only five teams have won the Premier League in over 20 seasons. Four of those make up the current top four.

The three teams promoted from the Championship last season currently occupy the bottom three places in the Premier League.

The same 6 teams almost always occupy 6 of the top 7 places.

Chelsea have been top of the table virtually since the first day.

It certainly isn't competitive in the sense that it is a competition that allows all teams a good chance of success. Admittedly La Liga and the Bundesliga are even more of a closed shop, but Serie A seems to throw up a variety of teams towards the top over the years.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 228
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
ArmchairDieHard wrote:
The Premier League is probably the most competitive league in the world, but La Liga would probably have the edge in terms of top end quality.

How are you quantifying competitive?

Only five teams have won the Premier League in over 20 seasons. Four of those make up the current top four.

The three teams promoted from the Championship last season currently occupy the bottom three places in the Premier League.

The same 6 teams almost always occupy 6 of the top 7 places.

Chelsea have been top of the table virtually since the first day.

It certainly isn't competitive in the sense that it is a competition that allows all teams a good chance of success. Admittedly La Liga and the Bundesliga are even more of a closed shop, but Serie A seems to throw up a variety of teams towards the top over the years.


I mean that you rarely get the top sides smashing the lower placed teams anymore.

It's not unusual to see Real or Barcelona putting five or six past teams on a regular basis over there, whilst we get more closely fought games.

_________________
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:
I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.


What about Steve Backley?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group