England 'fans'

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ArmchairDiehard
Team Supported: Darlington

England 'fans'

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:47 pm

What is wrong with some of these people?

I was at Wembley on Friday night and the amount of drivel that I heard both at the game and on the tube was unbelievable. People seriously suggesting that Rooney should be dropped, and that Carrick and Welbeck should be nowhere near the squad.

Someone even suggested that Jermain Defoe and Jack Wilshere should have been called-up, despite Wilshere not playing for about four months :lol:

I'd like to think that they were joking, but if they were then they've got some damn fine acting skills.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Spyman

Re: England 'fans'

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:04 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:What is wrong with some of these people?

I was at Wembley on Friday night and the amount of drivel that I heard both at the game and on the tube was unbelievable. People seriously suggesting that Rooney should be dropped, and that Carrick and Welbeck should be nowhere near the squad.

Someone even suggested that Jermain Defoe and Jack Wilshere should have been called-up, despite Wilshere not playing for about four months :lol:

I'd like to think that they were joking, but if they were then they've got some damn fine acting skills.
Sounds like you were on a carriage with some of those with an irrational hatred of all things Man Utd.

Rooney, Wellbeck, and in my opinion also Carrick all make England a better team when they are on the pitch. Technically three of our more gifted players.

I'd like to see us start with something along the lines of:

Hart
Clyne
Cahill
Jones/Jagielka/Stones (not sure who I'd select out of these)
Baines

Carrick
Townsend
Henderson

Wellbeck
Rooney
Sterling

I think that's currently our strongest team. Although Townsend seems to struggle for consistency in the league, he never seems to have a bad game for England.

Great to have competition and options up front now rather than just lumping all of the pressure on Rooney to carry the rest. Kane and Sturridge give us a couple of genuine options to change things around. Throw in the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott and we now seem to have an exciting group of forwards.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Agree with pretty much everything you've said there. I'd probably go with that team as well, although more in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Harry Kane for me still doesn't deserve a place in the starting line-up, but if he carries on with the same form next season then that could change.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:27 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:Agree with pretty much everything you've said there. I'd probably go with that team as well, although more in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Harry Kane for me still doesn't deserve a place in the starting line-up, but if he carries on with the same form next season then that could change.
Absolutely. Wellbeck and Rooney have earned their places at the top of the pile based on form for club and country over the last year or two.

Sturridge has yet to really prove himself at International level, although injuries have prevented him having a proper run.

Kane has had an excellent 6 months and certainly looks to have what it takes but has to earn it when his chance comes.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 pm

Not sure about Baines, hopefully Shaw will develop into international quality.
Clyne impressed against the Jocks but standards slipped in the last 2 games and when Walker came on he looked very bright.
I don't think Delph is going to cut it at this level either, but then again who would confidently say that Henderson would be an England stalwart when he first joined Liverpool ?

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm

The thing with Clyne is we know he's capable of so much more. He's been pretty solid all season for Southampton and I think he'll settle down for England if he gets a run of games.
Quakerz wrote:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:The thing with Clyne is we know he's capable of so much more. He's been pretty solid all season for Southampton and I think he'll settle down for England if he gets a run of games.
He's one of those that I feel would benefit from regular European football. I think this is what has held Baines back from being impressive for England - he's a top top player domestically, but he struggles to adapt to the different pace of the game.

DC

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Kieran Gibbs ; can't see him stepping up to the mark as a top international either,
there's a reason why he's behind Monreal in the Arsenal pecking order I suppose.
Just shows that Ashley Cole was probably our only truly consistent player over the last 10 years or so