Raheem Sterling

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ArmchairDiehard
Team Supported: Darlington

Raheem Sterling

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Where do you stand on this whole saga? £49m is an awful lot of money for a player like him, but he'll obviously benefit greatly from playing with players like Aguero, Silva and Nasri on a daily basis.

I don't get the idea that he's going to be getting splinters in his backside either. He's got plenty of potential and will get plenty of game time over the next couple of seasons. It's then up to him if he can handle the pressure that will undoubtedly come his way when he has a couple of poor performances.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

bertbanger

Re: Raheem Sterling

Post by bertbanger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm

he seems to have a fairly weak mentality too, when the pressures on he dosent deliver

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:42 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:Where do you stand on this whole saga? £49m is an awful lot of money for a player like him, but he'll obviously benefit greatly from playing with players like Aguero, Silva and Nasri on a daily basis.

I don't get the idea that he's going to be getting splinters in his backside either. He's got plenty of potential and will get plenty of game time over the next couple of seasons. It's then up to him if he can handle the pressure that will undoubtedly come his way when he has a couple of poor performances.
I'd rather have Depay for £20million less!

What happens in a few years time if he is a hit at City? Will he fuck them off for Real/Barca/whoever else is deemed a bigger club at the time?

I'm sure he'll get games, but he'd get more games at Liverpool at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing. City need to bolster their home grown contingent and have paid massively over the odds to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Overpaid and overrated.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

He's got loads of potential. Obviously £49m is a lot to pay for potential, but City aren't exactly struggling for cash. If Sterling can develop as a player, and he is still only 20, then it could prove to be a decent bit of business. I do think he would have been better served staying at Liverpool - pretty much guaranteed games and Rodgers does seem to be good at developing players - but now the move has gone through Sterling needs to get his head down and develop into the player he can be, which would be fantastic for England.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 pm

With the new rules for European football, top English players are able to attract a premium.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:27 am

Spyman wrote:
ArmchairDieHard wrote:Where do you stand on this whole saga? £49m is an awful lot of money for a player like him, but he'll obviously benefit greatly from playing with players like Aguero, Silva and Nasri on a daily basis.

I'd rather have Depay for £20million less!

What happens in a few years time if he is a hit at City? Will he fuck them off for Real/Barca/whoever else is deemed a bigger club at the time?

I'm sure he'll get games, but he'd get more games at Liverpool at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing. City need to bolster their home grown contingent and have paid massively over the odds to do so.

I do like Depay mind. And he does seem better value at almost half the price.

I kind of feel sorry in a way for Raheem. He's obviously old enough to make his own mind up, but I don't think his agent has helped him has he?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:56 am

I think he'll play. I reckon Sterling has shown an awful lot more in the past 2 seasons than Nasri has. I would expect Sterling, Silva and Aguero to be leading the line for City next season.

Pete what european rules? I thought that home-grown quotas were a Premier League thing? If it was down to European rules then by the same account German players are worth a premium in Germany, Spanish players are worth a premium in Spain etc. The quotas only relate to registered squad of 25 not match day squad don't they?

Anybody got a clue on the contract length yet? I am sure it is expected to be £200k per week. I just don't know whether the same motivation is there for players anymore, at what point (assuming it is a 5 year deal) do you realise that regardless of how you play you are going to walk away with £52million by your 25th birthday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:I think he'll play. I reckon Sterling has shown an awful lot more in the past 2 seasons than Nasri has. I would expect Sterling, Silva and Aguero to be leading the line for City next season.

Pete what european rules? I thought that home-grown quotas were a Premier League thing? If it was down to European rules then by the same account German players are worth a premium in Germany, Spanish players are worth a premium in Spain etc. The quotas only relate to registered squad of 25 not match day squad don't they?

Anybody got a clue on the contract length yet? I am sure it is expected to be £200k per week. I just don't know whether the same motivation is there for players anymore, at what point (assuming it is a 5 year deal) do you realise that regardless of how you play you are going to walk away with £52million by your 25th birthday.
Yeh but German and Spanish teams are much better are giving their own a chance rather than importing entire teams of foreigners - or at least they seem to have been over the last decade.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

snackweasle

Post by snackweasle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:51 pm

He has probably one chance at it. if his form isnt good he will be dropped as manchester city cant afford to carry players when they are aiming so high, and may well end up having his career ruined like wright-phillips. he is going to have a large price tag hung around his neck from the start, and many players find that this can take a season or so to shake off. he wont be given that kind of time, so he will have to perform from the start at a high level. I prophesy disaster....

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:12 am

snackweasle wrote:He has probably one chance at it. if his form isnt good he will be dropped as manchester city cant afford to carry players when they are aiming so high, and may well end up having his career ruined like wright-phillips. he is going to have a large price tag hung around his neck from the start, and many players find that this can take a season or so to shake off. he wont be given that kind of time, so he will have to perform from the start at a high level. I prophesy disaster....
To be fair to him, he's a much better player with much more ability and potential than Wright-Phillips, who had one above-average season for Man City which at that time was enough to get Chelsea to pay big money for anyone.

DC