Blackpool FC

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackpool FC

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm

If you melted down (heaven forbid) Messrs Singh/Reynolds/Haughton into one big melting pot of unpopularity it wouldn't come close to what's happening at Blackpool FC with the Oyston family in charge, in fact these guys make Singh/Reynolds/Haughton look like mere amateurs.

Just a brief trawl around the internet looking at news stories and fans websites is scary stuff, and shows up stories about suing fans,insulting fans and other more serious stuff which I wouldn't wish to mention on here, meanwhile the team have had countless managers/players, and haven't won a game for something like 25 games, sitting bottom of league on 1 point.

I have no particular soft spot for Blackpool however the situation the club and fans are in looks grim.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Re: Blackpool FC

Post by Quakerz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:49 pm

You know what, Reynolds doesn't belong in the same sentence as Houghton and Strings.

Reynolds was crazy, reacted badly/inappropriately to certain events, but in the end he lost most of his fortune building the stadium. Also, I believe that he did at first want to build the football club, whether that be for his own ego or other reasons it doesn't really matter.

I don't believe the other two ever cared about the football club, only the land.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Yes Quakerz, in the main I would agree with that, he put a lot of time, effort and money in, and lost big time - but the spell when he started banning and threatening fans and placing potentially libellous adverts on the roadside, was a step too far.

I would say hello to G.R if I bumped into him , the other two I would avoid.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Yes Quakerz, in the main I would agree with that, he put a lot of time, effort and money in, and lost big time - but the spell when he started banning and threatening fans and placing potentially libellous adverts on the roadside, was a step too far.

Time's a great healer, and I would say hello too.

The other two make GR look like nothing more than a "lovable rogue", of course it's easy to forget how nasty GR got when things went against him but he spunked his entire fortune near enough, and was in deeper than he realised.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 am

Quakerz wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Yes Quakerz, in the main I would agree with that, he put a lot of time, effort and money in, and lost big time - but the spell when he started banning and threatening fans and placing potentially libellous adverts on the roadside, was a step too far.

Would both of your respective conversations start off along the lines of:

"Hi George,

Do you remember when you alienated our play-off squad and management team?

Or when your wife accused them of throwing matches?

Or when you intimidated anyone who dared criticise, from fans to local journalists to teenage fanzine editors?

Or when you built a grossly over-sized stadium called the Reynolds Arena as a monument to yourself?

Or when you catastrophically mis-managed the club's finances to leave us in administration?

Or when your woeful decision-making turned out to be the catalyst for the club's ills of the next decade?

Or when you did time in prison?"

Reynolds was a nasty piece of work who cared only for his own ego. He was a paranoid, incompetent, egotistical buffoon who threatened anyone who challenged his delusions of grandeur.

Singh and Houghton were devious businessmen, who tried to rip the club apart because of their own self-interest and greed.

All three are as bad as each other.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 am

I briefly had dealings with Reynolds when he was in charge at Darlo and to be honest it was scarey. Looks like Oyston is made from a similar mould.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:11 am

Reynolds killed the club with his unpaid White Elephant Egotistic Arena. Without him, we'd still be in the town.

Anyone who had dealings with him knew he was a real nasty piece of work.

I'm sure there a few on here who had late night visitors from him alongside his undesirable associates.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Beano wrote:Reynolds killed the club with his unpaid White Elephant Egotistic Arena. Without him, we'd still be in the town.

I'm sure there a few on here who had late night visitors from him alongside his undesirable associates.
Without him we'd probably have gone under in 1999.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Spyman wrote:
Beano wrote:Reynolds killed the club with his unpaid White Elephant Egotistic Arena. Without him, we'd still be in the town.

Without Raj Singh, we'd have gone under in 2009.

Doesn't mean he isn't a tosser.

Cockerton48

Post by Cockerton48 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Just keeping away from comments about Chairman......I have happy memories from Darlo at Blackpool in October 1965 when we beat them 2-1 in the 3rd round of the League Cup. Celebrating on the beach! :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Without Raj Singh, we'd have gone under in 2009.

Doesn't mean he isn't a tosser.
I made no comment on whether Reynolds was/is a tosser or not. Just disputed the claim we'd be playing in the town if it wasn't for him.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:20 pm

We would be at Feethams still in some form or other.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Spyman wrote: I made no comment on whether Reynolds was/is a tosser or not. Just disputed the claim we'd be playing in the town if it wasn't for him.
Apologies. Your comments came across as if you were trying to excuse him because he "saved" us, 4 years before he left us in administration. Thanks for clarifying.

As for whether we'd be in the town or not, I imagine, had we gone under in 1999, that a phoenix club would be in the town, possibly still at Feethams.

Impossible to say really, given that it's completely hypothetical.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 pm

We would almost certainly have been a phoenix club in '99, but we'd still have been in the town.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 pm

Nope, I'd never defend Reynolds or his long term impact on the club. Just one in a long line of people who have fucked over football clubs for their own selfish reasons - whether financially motivated or otherwise.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 pm

I can't see what attracted them either.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:45 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Would both of your respective conversations start off along the lines of:

"Hi George,

Do you remember when you alienated our play-off squad and management team?

Or when your wife accused them of throwing matches?

Or when you intimidated anyone who dared criticise, from fans to local journalists to teenage fanzine editors?

Or when you built a grossly over-sized stadium called the Reynolds Arena as a monument to yourself?

Or when you catastrophically mis-managed the club's finances to leave us in administration?

Or when your woeful decision-making turned out to be the catalyst for the club's ills of the next decade?

Or when you did time in prison?"

Reynolds was a nasty piece of work who cared only for his own ego. He was a paranoid, incompetent, egotistical buffoon who threatened anyone who challenged his delusions of grandeur.

Singh and Houghton were devious businessmen, who tried to rip the club apart because of their own self-interest and greed.

All three are as bad as each other.

Gramps, I wasn't planning on a Reynolds/Me tete-a-tete! Just a cursory "hello" if the chance presented itself.

All your above points are good and well put, however Singh to me is the worst - I have my reasons for this, but it would make a dark, pointless, negative discussion to go in to it.

As long standing Darlo fans, we should be able to understand a bit about how soul destroying it must be to be a Blackpool supporter at present.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:55 am

Quakerz wrote:You know what, Reynolds doesn't belong in the same sentence as Houghton and Strings.

Reynolds was crazy, reacted badly/inappropriately to certain events, but in the end he lost most of his fortune building the stadium. Also, I believe that he did at first want to build the football club, whether that be for his own ego or other reasons it doesn't really matter.

I don't believe the other two ever cared about the football club, only the land.
Agree with Q. I too genuinely think he wanted to make a success of the club but for whatever reason/s couldn't follow through with.

I wouldn't waste my piss on Singh or Houghton
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Pedan and Morgan are up there in my eyes, that's when it all started and led to GR taking us over....

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I briefly had dealings with Reynolds when he was in charge at Darlo and to be honest it was scarey...
... I remember that ... I saw GR a day or two later ... he still hadn't recovered ... come to think of it ... :think: ... I don't think he was ever quite the same again .... :problem:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:52 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:
Quakerz wrote:You know what, Reynolds doesn't belong in the same sentence as Houghton and Strings.

Agree with Q. I too genuinely think he wanted to make a success of the club but for whatever reason/s couldn't follow through with.
Those reasons being that he was an economically illiterate buffoon who only listened to his own ego and alienated just about everyone he came into contact with.

Reynolds, Singh and Houghton were all motivated by greed and self-interest. But you can't forget the tactics Reynolds used to intimidate and bully dissenters. It was despicable and said much about the type of man he was.

I'm staggered so many people who I thought would know better are trying to mitigate what Reynolds did to the club.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Again, I'm not starting a defence, but I always thought Houghton was pretty open and honest in his reasons for getting involved with the club - he always said he wanted to develop the land and I think it was plain from day one that if a successful football club helped that happen then that was his means to an end - but once it became clear the town wouldn't back the club on or off the pitch he walked away leaving an almighty mess of his own creation.

As said above, selfish and self-serving, but I didn't find it surprising or dishonest in the way I did with Singh.

DC