Wayne Rooney

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wayne Rooney

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:Or are you just wondering why I happened to remember him...Champ Man
Yeah more wondering why you pulled that name out as a failed english talent. Didn't expect to see him in a conversation about England's record goal scorer.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:30 pm

I was there last night as I was working down London and managed to get some tickets.

The atmosphere wasn't great, and only really took off once we were awarded that penalty and Rooney picked the ball up.

Great to see him get the goal though. Hopefully he'll go on and get another fifteen or so in the next three or four years.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:14 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:The commentator on ITV summed the Rooney situation up perfectly for me last night - his contribution for England may not be fully realised until the time comes that we have to find his replacement. For me, that's probably the truest statement in the whole 'is Rooney a great player' debate that I've ever heard!
I agree. Rooney has probably had more pressure on him due to being our stand out striker. It would have perhap been different if Michael Owen wasn't so injury prone, or if a number of other players had come close to reaching their potential (few names...Alan Smith, Michael Bridges, Gifton Noel-Williams...there are many more) as he would have been able to share the burden.

It would be quite interesting, and I suspect telling to compare the goalscoring rates and honours at club level of strikers that went to major tournaments (and the ones left at home through none selection), starting from Euro 96 to the World Cup 2014...

I suspect there will be a point, and it probably is at the WC in 2006 where Rooney becomes head and shoulders above the rest.
You forgot Cherno Samba.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 am

Spyman wrote:You forgot Cherno Samba.
Not wanting to derail this any further but a champ man legends real match would be quite a spectacle - shame the 20year anniversary of the game has already passed - would have been ideal!

Francis Jeffers was probably the other genuine player who at one point you'd have thought could have been England striker material...and Darius Vassell?

Back to Rooney. The BBC had some great stats yesterday, all those that are saying they were all scored in friendlies then throw Nat Lofthouse or Jimmy Greaves name into the mix really ought to go look at the figures. The pie chart I saw yesterday seemed to say that aside from Lineker that Rooney had the bigger proportion of his goals scored in competitive games.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:23 am

lo36789 wrote:Back to Rooney. The BBC had some great stats yesterday.
Not sure if this link will work to twitter. But if you check out Nick Harris he has some geekish insight into the records of Charlton and Rooney they are wierldy similar.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel

For example in what he calls 'gimmie games' where england won by 4+ or more. Both have 11 goals.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 am

Yeah, but how many would Rooney have got if Alan White had been identified as a Centre Forward 20 years ago? :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:44 am

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:You forgot Cherno Samba.
Not wanting to derail this any further but a champ man legends real match would be quite a spectacle - shame the 20year anniversary of the game has already passed - would have been ideal!

Francis Jeffers was probably the other genuine player who at one point you'd have thought could have been England striker material...and Darius Vassell?

Back to Rooney. The BBC had some great stats yesterday, all those that are saying they were all scored in friendlies then throw Nat Lofthouse or Jimmy Greaves name into the mix really ought to go look at the figures. The pie chart I saw yesterday seemed to say that aside from Lineker that Rooney had the bigger proportion of his goals scored in competitive games.
Jeffers started his career brightly, yes - but never looked like he could be a top top player.

Vassell arguably over performed for England - not sure anyone expected much from him based on his league record but he managed to put in a decent spell around the England squad. A bit like Andros Townsend over the last couple of seasons, and Trevor Sinclair as well.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC