Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » The Terraces
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Premiership Relegation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am
Posts: 756
Location: Scotland
Team Supported: Darlo
Who do you think will get relegated from the Premiership?

For me it'll stay as it is now. Aston Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland.

Villa have been all but down for a while now, Sunderland and Newcastle have (in my opinion) a more difficult run in than Palace or Norwich. I think a Sunderland loss to Norwich and it's game over for both NE teams, a win and there's the slimmest of chances.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Posts: 473
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)
Villa and Newcastle definitely... if Norwich beat Sunderland, that's Sunderland gone as well...

Palace still not out of it, another point or two should see them safe.

Swans are safe now :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Villa must be mathematically down soon surely? 15 points 6 games to go, they are gone next week then aren't they.

Newcastle's result and they way they lost coming back and not being able to hold it for more than like 3 minutes puts them down for me.

If Sunderland beat Norwich and draw their game in hand they will be level so certainly wouldn't be over for them. If they lose it is.

I hope they do. Back in Darlo with the big 3 clubs being rubbish could be the perfect means to get new fans through the doors.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10263
Team Supported: Darlington
Villa obviously down.
Newcastle pretty much down.
Sunderland I think have a fighting chance still as Allardyce knows how to salvage these situations - that's their lifeline.
Norwich seem very inconsistent whereas I'd give Sunderland more chance of putting a run together - that run could be good or bad though!

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:52 pm
Posts: 14
Team Supported: Darlington
The Jacks are staying up :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9133
Team Supported: Darlington
A.Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland. Hopefully the Premiership will not have any north-east teams in it, but Boro look like they might spoil the party.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 10630
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Hopefully the Premiership will not have any north-east teams in it, but Boro look like they might spoil the party.

What a stupid statement.

_________________
https://twitter.com/#!/AndrewParkk


Darlington Football Club: The club that refused to die.
Bought by the fans; for the fans!

Evo-Stik Premier Champions 2015/16


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 am
Posts: 557
Location: See Username
Team Supported: Darlington
Why stupid? People are allowed to dislike bigger regional clubs Andy!

I think both NUFC and SAFC will go. Not convinced that has any positives for us mind - you can expect both to be competing at the top end of the Championship next year and thus retaining most of their crowds, so it is not as if relegation will create a dollop of floating fans that we can tempt to BM.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Posts: 6286
Team Supported: Darlington
Geordie Quaker wrote:
so it is not as if relegation will create a dollop of floating fans that we can tempt to BM.


Ghosts? I think they're tempted by gullibility.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9133
Team Supported: Darlington
So Andy I'm supposed to support other North East sides. If the larger clubs are struggling, a few of their fans will get fed up and want to watch a side that is moving upwards. Your comments were stupid.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 2271
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
So Andy I'm supposed to support other North East sides. If the larger clubs are struggling, a few of their fans will get fed up and want to watch a side that is moving upwards. Your comments were stupid.

You do make me laugh pete

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 10630
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
So Andy I'm supposed to support other North East sides. If the larger clubs are struggling, a few of their fans will get fed up and want to watch a side that is moving upwards. Your comments were stupid.

Did I mention anything about supporting them?

I'd rather see at least one North East team in the Premiership (preferably Boro) every season instead of seeing it dominated by so many southern teams.

You mention about fans getting fed up and watching someone on the up! It certainly wouldn't be us would it. Newcastle or Sunderland fans would flock to Gateshead, North Shields or South Shields, who would then improve with the increased budget through monies coming in.

_________________
https://twitter.com/#!/AndrewParkk


Darlington Football Club: The club that refused to die.
Bought by the fans; for the fans!

Evo-Stik Premier Champions 2015/16


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
I'd rather see at least one North East team in the Premiership (preferably Boro) every season instead of seeing it dominated by so many southern teams.


Dunno don't really care either way but when 70% of the people you went to school with were Boro, Newcastle or Sunderland fans it is quite nice to see em suffer a bit...the other 28% were Man United, Liverpool or Leeds of course.

For once Pete isn't talking complete jibberish. I don't think he is referring to the Newcastle fans who live in Newcastle. He's talking about the kids who live 5minutes walk from BM who watch PL football week in week out so 'support' Newcastle.

Unless they want to put themselves through watching channel5 they may get their football fix from BM.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3186
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
I'd rather see at least one North East team in the Premiership (preferably Boro) every season instead of seeing it dominated by so many southern teams.


Dunno don't really care either way but when 70% of the people you went to school with were Boro, Newcastle or Sunderland fans it is quite nice to see em suffer a bit...the other 28% were Man United, Liverpool or Leeds of course.

For once Pete isn't talking complete jibberish. I don't think he is referring to the Newcastle fans who live in Newcastle. He's talking about the kids who live 5minutes walk from BM who watch PL football week in week out so 'support' Newcastle.

Unless they want to put themselves through watching channel5 they may get their football fix from BM.


No they won't.

They may come down to a couple of extra games but if you think we'll get fully fledged new fans simply because Newcastle and Sunderland are relegated then you're deluding yourself.

Remember when NUFC last came down, just 7 years ago. Our attendances barely changed. It will have at best a minimal effect.

And we're at a much lower level now. If people won't switch to see us play Bradford, they're hardly likely to switch to see us play Bradford Park Avenue.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9133
Team Supported: Darlington
There are plenty of Newcastle, Sunderland & Boro fans who live in or close to Darlo. If their teams are struggling and we are flying, then a few of them will give us a go. I'm not saying they come and stay watching us, but some will come and watch us and probably enjoy themselves more than if they watched their own team.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10263
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
So Andy I'm supposed to support other North East sides. If the larger clubs are struggling, a few of their fans will get fed up and want to watch a side that is moving upwards. Your comments were stupid.

I think we are better off if Sunderland & Newcastle carry on being s*** in the Premiership. You only have to look at how many more Boro fans have emerged now that they're doing OK to see that a successful Championship season is more attractive than a Premiership relegation battle.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
You only have to look at how many more Boro fans have emerged now that they're doing OK to see that a successful Championship season


It is quite amazing isn't it, where have they all been hiding!?

Darlogramps wrote:
No they won't.

They may come down to a couple of extra games but if you think we'll get fully fledged new fans simply because Newcastle and Sunderland are relegated then you're deluding yourself.


I am not talking about 20 year Newcastle fans changing all of a sudden. I am talking that every single year there is a market of people who will decide/change which football club they support. It's really bizarre but I had a lecture on this about 7 years ago. I am sure the trigger points were along the following lines.

> birth (this is the parents influence piece)
> start of secondary school (kids have more freedom to choose to go to a certain club with their friends on a Saturday afternoon)
> start of university (apparantely there are a huge number of people who start supporting the team near where they went to Uni)
> work relocation (<25 years old, again if you move for work under that age you are susceptable to a club change).

Every year these things happen to numerous people. Now someone who livse near Blackwell Meadows is more or less likely to choose Darlington over Newcastle/Sunderland if those clubs are not appearing in Panini sticker books, not appearing on SkySports News as regularly, not on the back pages of the papers as much, not on Match of the Day at all than they would do currently.

We just need to target at the points where it will have the biggest impact...eg. schools, university of teesside campus and catterick.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3186
Team Supported: Darlington
Ah well if you had a lecture on it from some trendy academic 7 years ago it must be true.

Maybe if you'd observed our attendances 7 years ago you'd have seen Newcastle's relegation had no impact whatsoever on us. Why've you ignored this in your response?

So why you think it'd be any different when we're 2 or 3 levels below that is beyond me.

Maybe a few extra would come a couple of times a season. But certainly not on the level you appear to be talking about.

As for the publicity point, we get less now than we did 7 years ago. Newcastle and Sunderland are rarely on national backpages but will continue to dominate regionals. Panini stickerbooks? Do me a favour.

Trust me, it didn't have any impact 7 years ago and won't have any impact this time around.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 884
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Ah well if you had a lecture on it from some trendy academic 7 years ago it must be true.

Maybe if you'd observed our attendances 7 years ago you'd have seen Newcastle's relegation had no impact whatsoever on us. Why've you ignored this in your response?

So why you think it'd be any different when we're 2 or 3 levels below that is beyond me.

Maybe a few extra would come a couple of times a season. But certainly not on the level you appear to be talking about.

As for the publicity point, we get less now than we did 7 years ago. Newcastle and Sunderland are rarely on national backpages but will continue to dominate regionals. Panini stickerbooks? Do me a favour.

Trust me, it didn't have any impact 7 years ago and won't have any impact this time around.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
ah yes...you mean the 2009-2010 season.

The season which started with Colin Todd as manager and ended with Steve Staunton.

We were really a good alternative that season weren't we.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3186
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
ah yes...you mean the 2009-2010 season.

The season which started with Colin Todd as manager and ended with Steve Staunton.

We were really a good alternative that season weren't we.


We didn't end with Staunton - it was Simon Davey. But I'll let you off as you were probably in a lecture or filling in stickerbooks.

But regardless of our quality, your point was a relegation for Newcastle would encourage some of the part-time fans in the town to look closer to home. It didn't in 2009.
Presumably the majority of your "market" of fans who switch clubs would change during the summer. After all, how many fans would switch mid-season?

At this point our poor performance on the pitch couldn't have been known so wouldn't have had an impact. Still no change.

And even in that season, we were up against Football League sides. They would be a greater pull to part-timers than National League North or NPL sides. Are casuals who aren't overly fussed about the club really going to come out in big numbers for games against Gloucester or North Ferriby? I doubt it.

The fact is you have no evidence whatsoever for your suggestion. You've proposed a theory but not backed it up. I've offered criticisms of your argument so unless you've got any cold hard facts to back it up, it's hard to take it seriously.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
The fact is you have no evidence whatsoever for your suggestion. You've proposed a theory but not backed it up. I've offered criticisms of your argument so unless you've got any cold hard facts to back it up, it's hard to take it seriously.


The theory I was taught will have been backed by evidence - do I have that evidence 7 years on course not. That theory was that there are key points in time where people choose and change the football club they support.

My addition is if you can be more appealing than alternative at that point in time then you have a chance to increase your fan base.

Do I believe that in 2009 we were more appealing than alternatives...no.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3186
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
The theory I was taught will have been backed by evidence - do I have that evidence 7 years on course not.


So you have no evidence and are parroting a theory you last heard 7 years ago.

lo36789 wrote:
That theory was that there are key points in time where people choose and change the football club they support.


Yes and I'm not disputing that particular aspect. I'm criticising your application of it in the current context of Darlington and Newcastle's situations.

I'm also disputing the extent to which it takes place. I've said we probably will pick up a handful of occasional fans as a result of Newcastle's relegation.

But you seem to think there's a large untapped market, which I dispute.

I've also provided 2009 as the most recent applicable example to Darlington.

You say we were unappealing, which we were. But, the majority of the switchers from Newcastle would have changed in the summer, before our poor on pitch performances.

Therefore if our poor performances can't have been known they couldn't have been an influence in the summer when most of the switchers were changing club.

So your response here is quite simplistic.

Do I believe there are factors which cause people to change clubs? Of course I do. No one needs a lecture or a degree to know that.

Do I think it happens on as large scale you're saying it will in the summer with NUFC? No and I've provided examples.

Put simply, to use your logic, I believe Newcastle in the Championship are unfortunately more appealing to a Premier League supporter in Darlington than us in the National League North.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 2725
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
We didn't end with Staunton - it was Simon Davey. But I'll let you off as you were probably in a lecture or filling in stickerbooks.


Is this true lo? Were you in a lecture or filling in stickerbooks? Perhaps you were doing both, simultaneously.

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
I am not sure I am talking mass scale - I said there is an audience each year who fall into that bracket.

Under normal circumstances 98% choose another club than darlo. If we can even. Get that extra 1% it will have knock on effects in the future.

It will be impossible to show impact one way or another circumstances next year will be completely different anyway. We will be back home, higher division, I do think an NUFC and SAFC relegation is only a positive for our attendance figures the magnitude of that I have no idea.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am
Posts: 756
Location: Scotland
Team Supported: Darlo
Well Sunderland's 3-0 win today keeps the lower end of the premiership interesting for another week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Indeed. Think one of the north east teams will survive now. Norwich look less likely to get a win for me.

Changes every week like so impossible to predict. Newcastle have the slightly more favourable run in I feel.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3186
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Indeed. Think one of the north east teams will survive now. Norwich look less likely to get a win for me.

Changes every week like so impossible to predict. Newcastle have the slightly more favourable run in I feel.

Norwich really needed to take more than 3 points from their games against Newcastle, Sunderland and Palace.

I actually think Sunderland are more likely to stay up than Newcastle.

Newcastle's away record is awful and out of their 3 remaining home games, 2 are against Man City and Spurs.

Plus Sunderland haven't been playing badly recently and Allardyce is the ideal manager for a relegation scrap.

So I think they just have the edge, with Norwich and Newcastle going down.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9133
Team Supported: Darlington
Come on Norwich, don't let Newcastle or Sunderland escape.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7192
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Sunderland have Arsenal (H), Stoke (A), Chelsea (H), Everton (H) and Watford (A).
Newcastle have City (A), Liverpool (A), Palace (H), Villa (A), Tottenham (H).

Newcastle have 1 certainty, 2 possibles and 2 improbables.
Sunderland have 3 possibles and 2 improbables


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group