EURO 2016

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EURO 2016

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 am

I do love all the faux outrage at Drinkwater's omission.

He's hardly a gamechanger - he'd have barely played if he had gone.

Yes he's had a good season but would he have genuinely offered anything wildly different to say Henderson? Probably not.

It's not as if we're leaving out a Pogba.

Townsend is the more unusual decision because he offers something not many in the squad do. He'd bring width and pace, and an ability to take on a full back. He would have been a genuine alternative.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:20 am

Darlogramps wrote:I do love all the faux outrage at Drinkwater's omission.

He's hardly a gamechanger - he'd have barely played if he had gone.

Yes he's had a good season but would he have genuinely offered anything wildly different to say Henderson? Probably not.

It's not as if we're leaving out a Pogba.

Townsend is the more unusual decision because he offers something not many in the squad do. He'd bring width and pace, and an ability to take on a full back. He would have been a genuine alternative.
Sterling offers width, pace and the ability to take on a full-back. Granted, there's no other obvious player in the squad who fills that role, but Hodgson has used Vardy and Rashford as wider forwards in the last couple of games.

I agree on Drinkwater. He'd only have been a squad player anyway. He's made two or three friendly appearances and while he's had a great season there are others ahead of him in the queue. There's an argument for not taking both Henderson and Wilshere due to fitness but that's the only reason I can find to question the decision.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:23 am

What worries me more than Drinkwater is the lack of other options for a change of approach up front. All the forwards play a similar type of game, if that doesnt work we could have done with a Carroll type player to come on and cause different problems for the defenders.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:09 pm

loan_star wrote:What worries me more than Drinkwater is the lack of other options for a change of approach up front. All the forwards play a similar type of game, if that doesnt work we could have done with a Carroll type player to come on and cause different problems for the defenders.
I don't know - Vardy is a real hard-working nuisance type, Kane is a finisher through and through with a bit of physical presence, Rooney is a hugely intelligent player, Rashford looks technically very good, quick and a good finisher. Sturridge probably somewhere between Kane and Rashford in style.

While there are of course merits for a big physical presence like Carroll, his fitness coupled with just possibly not being as good as the others in the squad mean he's maybe not the right candidate. Historically if we lump it up to a big man we get nowhere in International football so I don't see that changing now.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Pretty poor tonight against Portugal. We'll have to do a lot better than that at the Euro's.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 pm

3 wins out of 3 friendlies; some people always find a way to whinge.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:58 am

Andy you are saying the same sort of thing as Hodgson, England were not good enough against a very average Portugal team, that had rested their best player.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:02 am

Didn't watch it. Have read the reaction and from what I can make out Vardy and Kane were completely ineffective as wide men...

The players we have could do a good job - if they are played in their proper positions.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:42 am

lo36789 wrote:Didn't watch it. Have read the reaction and from what I can make out Vardy and Kane were completely ineffective as wide men...

The players we have could do a good job - if they are played in their proper positions.
Well that's what friendlies are for. A bit of experimentation.

We won. It doesn't change my perception of our chances at the Euros because we beat Portugal 1-0.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:18 am

It's difficult to take anything from that game. Portugal were without their star player and completely shut shop once Alves was sent off.

But I don't think Hodgson knows how best to use Rooney. Kane and Vardy were pushed further wide, with Alli dropping deeper and wider just to accommodate Rooney.

It certainly was detrimental to their performances last night.

All well and good experimenting in a friendly, but even I could tell you Kane is better centrally than he is further wide. If that was experimentation it was a total waste of time and effort. He's scored 20+ goals in each of the last two seasons playing centrally, so even experimenting with him on the right is pointless.

Play him in the middle and you get the best out of him.

Right now, I'm struggling to see how you get the best out of Rooney, Alli and Vardy in the same side. I just don't think they fit together.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Right now, I'm struggling to see how you get the best out of Rooney, Alli and Vardy in the same side. I just don't think they fit together.
Agreed.

When Rooney came on against Australia, that is how best to use him. He was very good, albeit against a pretty average side.

Whether that is better than Alli, or Vardy, played to their strengths, I don't know. Personally I'd keep Vardy on the bench for the time being. Kane would start through the middle with probably Rooney, Alli and Sterling rotating in behind.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm

In today's Northern Echo's players ratings, all of the midfield and strikers got 4 out of 10.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:In today's Northern Echo's players ratings, all of the midfield and strikers got 4 out of 10.
Thank God it was only a friendly then.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:57 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:In today's Northern Echo's players ratings, all of the midfield and strikers got 4 out of 10.
Thank God?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Thank God?

Yes, praise his noodly appendage, r'amen.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:19 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
He's seen the light! Alleluia!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
He's seen the light! Alleluia!
And the punishment for someone not seeing the light, as dictated by the god you've just praised, regardless of what type of life they lead, or the kind of person they are, is...

:?:

Thank fuck none of it is real. And even if it was, I see nothing worthy of praise.

GodAlmighty
Team Supported: Vatican City FC

Post by GodAlmighty » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:04 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Hey, leave me out of it. I'm not responsible for those spineless prima donnas.

God bless.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:02 am

Anyone else hear the sound of bubbles bursting at about 10:00 pm last night? COME ON WALES. :D :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:26 am

joejaques wrote:Anyone else hear the sound of bubbles bursting at about 10:00 pm last night? COME ON WALES. :D :roll:
We'll see on Thursday. That's now a massive game.

Hugely disappointing result after such an encouraging performance for England.

I don't think it was quite as good as some have made out (certainly in the final third England weren't clinical enough) but there were positive signs nonetheless.

Russia had turned up for a draw and played really defensively. Wales will be much more open which should give England more opportunities but will test the vulnerable defence too.

I'd swap Sterling for Vardy for the Wales game. Sterling looked tricky and showed pace, but lacked an end product. Too often he'd run into traffic or be dispossessed.

And it's easy to say with hindsight, but I'd have brought Vardy on as a sub last night. His pace in the second half would have been a huge threat against tiring Russian legs.

So definitely a disappointing result but enough to be upbeat about heading into Thursday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:28 am

Yeh there was no final ball really, so many encouraging attacks ended with a loose pass or no pass at all.

I was surprised Vardy didn't come on just to stretch the game a bit more once Russia had to come out to find am equaliser. The threat of him getting in behind on the break would've surely led to them not pushing on quite as much.

I thought Walker was a highlight.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:57 am

Since Walker and Rose both act like wingers at times, why not just play Vardy, Kane, and Sturridge/Rashford as the front 3 in a 433?

Maybe I've been playing too much FIFA 16...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:33 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:Since Walker and Rose both act like wingers at times, why not just play Vardy, Kane, and Sturridge/Rashford as the front 3 in a 433?

Not sure I'd try that against Bales.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:17 pm

If we play on Thursday like we did against Russia, then we should be ok.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:39 am

massive game for both teams,should England play Rooney?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:52 am

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:Since Walker and Rose both act like wingers at times, why not just play Vardy, Kane, and Sturridge/Rashford as the front 3 in a 433?

Sterling and Lallana don't exactly provide much defensive cover anyways, so why not?

We might be a bit narrower but it's surely better than Sterling and Lallana's horrendous lack of end product.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:59 pm

THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:massive game for both teams,should England play Rooney?
Why wouldn't we play Rooney? He was very good on Saturday. I can't see who would be more effective. Wilshere, Henderson or Milner? Not for me.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:02 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Sterling and Lallana don't exactly provide much defensive cover anyways, so why not?

We might be a bit narrower but it's surely better than Sterling and Lallana's horrendous lack of end product.
Perhaps. I just think that playing narrower up front will also limit the space for Alli to play in to. I thought he got in some great positions coming from deep on Saturday, partly because having the wide players stretched things out and created spaces for him to get in to. Vardy, Sturridge and Rashford would all be inclined to drift into the middle (where they are most effective) and it could become very crowded in that area. At best I'd play one of them with Sterling providing some proper width even if his end product hasn't quite been there.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Wilshire added something when he came on, but it would be tough on Rooney if he was dropped to the bench.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm

The best way to beat Wales - treat the game like a Premier League game.

Vardy or Rashford must start.