Who do you want as the next England manager?

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:22 pm

The bookies favourite is Gareth Southgate, but he couldn't even manage Boro properly. I'd go with Arsene Wenger, but he probably won't want it. Can't see any other obvious candidates.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Simple Pete he is at Leicester City

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Eddie Howe!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Pochettino but he'd be mad to leave Spurs for England.

Eddie Howe is too inexperienced and would be better off at Bournemouth. The lack of English managers is a national embarrassment.

But the problems go much deeper than the manager. The players ARE talented but do not have the mental strength.

Our coaching system is totally flawed and badly structured. We're getting talented players but driving them into the ground by over-indulging and over-playing them.

The FA is majorly flawed too. In the early 2000s, Germany were tanking. They had a major overhaul of everything, from the national FA to the youth academy structures and look at them now.

We need the same now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Some of the latest odds available, at least Gray isn't in the running yet! :D

https://www.skybet.com/football/manager ... t/16964117

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Have Southampton got their new manager yet? Thought Howe might be in the running for that one.

People say he's inexperienced but you know what. I don't even care maybe we need someone completely fresh to change it. Everytime he's been questioned as to whether he can do the next step up he's not just scraped by he's absolutely nailed it.

Gareth Southgate, Alan Pardew are the any more of a risk?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:Have Southampton got their new manager yet? Thought Howe might be in the running for that one.

People say he's inexperienced but you know what. I don't even care maybe we need someone completely fresh to change it. Everytime he's been questioned as to whether he can do the next step up he's not just scraped by he's absolutely nailed it.

Gareth Southgate, Alan Pardew are the any more of a risk?
Pardew and Southgate shouldn't be anywhere near the job.

Howe wasn't exactly a success at Burnley. And at Bournemouth - expectations are low in the Premier League and he has a bit of money behind him.

England would be a whole different prospect and I think it would be damaging for him as a coach, particularly when he's relatively young.

In the lack of any outstanding English candidates, I can't see any option but to go foreign. Pellegrini?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 am

jurgen klinsman wouldnt be a bad call.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:36 am

Pelligrini was a name which came into my head but it still doesn't feel particularly inspiring. Would Pochettino take the job?

They must have someone lined up you would expect? Or do we think they were planning on renewing Hodgsons contract after the Euros?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:32 am

I'd have Pardew because I stuck a fiver on him a year ago.

No obvious candidate though. Neville probably prior to his stint at Valencia.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 am

lo36789 wrote:Would Pochettino take the job?
I think he would be a great choice but he's got 5 years left on his contract at Spurs. Please, no has beens, yes men, or untested shots in the dark.

Maybe Laurent Blanc as he's just left PSG? I really think we should be forgetting about anyone above him in that odds list. Can't believe that includes Hoddle after what happened last time he was manager.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:The FA is majorly flawed too. In the early 2000s, Germany were tanking. They had a major overhaul of everything, from the national FA to the youth academy structures and look at them now.
Football makes money in England and that is what the driver is not player development. In Darlington you have the likes of Total Soccer Centre badged as an amateur youth club but actually it's just a business. Can the FA stop that...don't know?

The motivation is all wrong at youth football and the FA are trying to change that but I don't know how you land it they basically rely on advertising campaigns.

This is 10 years ago now but I had 3 players leave the youth team I managed because I didn't start their son in the first team week in week out. I was managing the team in their last year before moving to 11-a-side so basically employed a full rotation policy. As a 15/16 year old it was an early lesson in communicating and managing expectations...and also not bowing to pressure!

Each match day we played a first team game and a friendly and I didn't care about the result in either it was about players going in different positions and getting as much game time as possible - and no particular leaning towards the first team or friendly game.

Training was about players having as much time on the ball as possible and technical development. Looking across the field I saw under 8s teams working on corner routines and playing matches and stopping/starting. We played against teams who's tactics were give it to this player cos he's our best player and let him do the rest.

Trust me the FA have the type of development that players should be doing absolutely spot on. If coaches follow what you are taught then players will develop. The problem comes with competitive football at a young age, parent pressure about results and why is their son/daughter not starting.

The one thing I'd change. Charter Standard clubs should mandate that parents are put through their level 1 and their referees badges. This is clearly costly for clubs - the FA should be funding the vast majority of it.

Oh...and more 4G pitches at reasonable cost...

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Surprised nobody's mentioned Alan Shearer.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:57 pm

feethams 1966,
you could be right with shearer i did think of him last night, with regards to wanting passion throughout the team and engagement with the fans he could be the man.only thing is experience of any real sort is a concern.still like the idea of klinsman though.
please no gareth southgate though this could be a disaster imo.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Harry Redknapp

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 pm

There's no obvious English candidate, so I'd go for a foreign manager.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Allardyce?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Darlogramps wrote:But the problems go much deeper than the manager. The players ARE talented but do not have the mental strength.
This is the problem, plus we had warriors out there- no Adams/Ince/Butcher type players, but we all know that don't we.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:45 pm

How about Michael O'Neill at Northern Ireland; decent shout to be fair if he was willing to leave them for us...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 pm

The FA has now said that they won't rule out appointing a foreign manager.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 pm

AndyPark wrote:How about Michael O'Neill at Northern Ireland; decent shout to be fair if he was willing to leave them for us...
Did you watch any of Northern Ireland's games?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:59 pm

It took them less than a day to get 'Arry to give his perspective anyway...his suggestion being Tim Sherwood.

Shearer
Sherwood
Southgate

This is absolutely diabolical. Can we get Hodgson back?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:44 am

Southgate being tipped to be the new interim manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36657247

The Daily Star says that Arsene Wenger is op of the FA list to be the next England manager. :clap:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The Daily Star says that Arsene Wenger is op of the FA list to be the next England manager. :clap:
Well if The Daily Star says...

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 am

It has to be someone with enough passion and desire to be bouncing up and down on the touchline, like a Bilic or Conte or O'Neill (Martin), someone who kicks every ball, celebrates every goal like it's won a tournament and takes defeat like a relegation.

The next England manager cannot be someone who stays rooted to the dugout, passive, devoid of all but the most clichéd of responses to every win, draw or defeat.

The next England manager must not be a comfortable, likeable, dull as fuck FA yes man. And by that I mean anyone like Southgate.

Ability to contribute towards a catalogue of scratch and sniff Gifs is an optional.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Mullet69 wrote:It has to be someone with enough passion and desire to be bouncing up and down on the touchline, like a Bilic or Conte or O'Neill (Martin), someone who kicks every ball, celebrates every goal like it's won a tournament and takes defeat like a relegation.

The next England manager cannot be someone who stays rooted to the dugout, passive, devoid of all but the most clichéd of responses to every win, draw or defeat.
Can't work out if this was an ironic post? Personally I would much rather we got Pellegrini than Di Canio. "he runs around a lot" is usually a characteristic people look for in a striker not a manager.

There is actually one manager who I think meets the criteria I am after, which is more around being able to motivate the best, and bring the rest up to their level. Unfortunately I am not sure the nation would accept him into the job - Diego Simeone.

That said in recent days I've heard people asking for Alec Ferguson (Scottish) and Jurgen Klinsmann (German)...having an Argie in there surely completes the set!?

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 am

Spyman wrote:Allardyce?
I'd go Big Sam, should have been given his chance years ago though.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:47 am

bloody heck,when i mentioned klinsmann the same night this topic started klinsmann wasnt even in the betting 100/1 now he is in the betting at 5/1.not saying he will get the job mind he was just an idea at the time.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:33 am

The favourites at their best odds as per oddschecker;

Klinsmann 11/2
Hoddle 15/2
Allardyce 10/1
Southgate 12/1
Blanc 14/1
Howe 16/1

Are you sure Klinsmann wasn't shorter than that when you mentioned him? Klinsmann was mentioned as a replacement 2 days before Hodgson even resigned.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:25 am

i had a look on willy hills after i mentioned it on here out of curiosity and couldnt see him in the betting.maybe i missed him.i certainly have seen 25/1 a day or so later.