Who do you want as the next England manager?

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:29 pm

lo36789 wrote:The favourites at their best odds as per oddschecker;

Klinsmann 11/2
Hoddle 15/2
Allardyce 10/1
Southgate 12/1
Blanc 14/1
Howe 16/1

Are you sure Klinsmann wasn't shorter than that when you mentioned him? Klinsmann was mentioned as a replacement 2 days before Hodgson even resigned.
Southgate has been ruled out as full-time manager, but may be new temporary manager, if they have to wait for the right manager to become available.

AndyPark
Posts: 11402
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Southgate doesn't want it on a permanent basis or interim basis.. at this moment.
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLWLLWWWLD

*includes all cup games*

lo36789
Posts: 8019
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Michael Gove said that he wouldn't put himself forward as Tory party leader...

SwansQuaker83
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Mike Bassett?

whatever, you're not having Coleman!! :wave: :D :lol:

User avatar
fozzovmurton
Posts: 1465
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Murton, Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Looking Like Allardyce for England now

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016072 ... 376b96.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Image
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Spyman wrote:Allardyce?
Called it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano
Posts: 1272
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Beano » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Spyman wrote:
Spyman wrote:Allardyce?
Called it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The best candidate got the job, though he should have had it in 2006.

liddle_4_ever
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am
Team Supported: Darlo
Location: Scotland

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Spyman wrote:
Spyman wrote:Allardyce?
Called it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sorry we've got to take your first answer.
Spyman wrote:I'd have Pardew because I stuck a fiver on him a year ago.

No obvious candidate though. Neville probably prior to his stint at Valencia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:34 pm

Big Sam will do ok, he'll certainly be different to Hodgson's way of running the team. One thing that has surprised me is that he's only be given a 2 year contract, hardly a show of faith by the FA.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:35 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Spyman wrote:Allardyce?
Called it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sorry we've got to take your first answer.
Spyman wrote:I'd have Pardew because I stuck a fiver on him a year ago.

No obvious candidate though. Neville probably prior to his stint at Valencia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair. But Pardew only because I had money on him! Allardyce definitely my preferred choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6292
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

Spyman wrote:I'd have Pardew because I stuck a fiver on him a year ago.
He can't have been best pleased with that.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Well that wasn't very inspiring by England tonight, as they beat minnows Malta 2-0. Southgate out.

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6292
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well that wasn't very inspiring by England tonight, as they beat minnows Malta 2-0. Southgate out.
:eh:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:18 am

Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:22 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!
Nobody gets the job permanently, ever.

Who is the best available option currently, Pete?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!
What amazes me more is the new notion that decisions are being made on 1 or 2 games. England v Scotland England win and I presume we keep him lose he goes. What if the win comes having been battered for 89 mins by the Scots then Sturridge wins an incorrectly given penalty in the 90th minute or indeed loose in reverse fashion.

How clubs and FA can manager are or are not capable based on one game. I don't begrudge the FA biding their time, racing in was not the answer but my I hope there is more to it than can we win 1 game.

I so want England to do well but I think our time has passed and we’ll never be near the top of the tree again. It does put into perspective how good some countries are, Germany have been excellent for how many years. I heard the other day they have only ever lost 2 world cup qualifying games and never been beaten away from home.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!
Nobody gets the job permanently, ever.

Who is the best available option currently, Pete?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
All the best managers currently have jobs, if England could get someone who has a contract at the moment, I'd go for Wenger. He could well become available at the end of this season. A short term appointment in the meantime would be the best option, until the right candidate became available or was prepared to leave their current club before the ed of his contract.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!
Nobody gets the job permanently, ever.

Who is the best available option currently, Pete?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
All the best managers currently have jobs, if England could get someone who has a contract at the moment, I'd go for Wenger. He could well become available at the end of this season. A short term appointment in the meantime would be the best option, until the right candidate became available or was prepared to leave their current club before the ed of his contract.
And who would you have as a short-term appointment?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Unbelievable that the talk is that Southgate get's the job permanently if we beat Scotland. They obviously haven't been watching the last 2 games!
Nobody gets the job permanently, ever.

Who is the best available option currently, Pete?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
All the best managers currently have jobs, if England could get someone who has a contract at the moment, I'd go for Wenger. He could well become available at the end of this season. A short term appointment in the meantime would be the best option, until the right candidate became available or was prepared to leave their current club before the ed of his contract.
And who would you have as a short-term appointment?
I admit there are no obvious candidates to be appointed short term, perhaps Steve Bruce, but it looks like he'll be going to Aston Villa.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:03 am

Haha nice try Pete.

Was going to bite but of course you already know Bruce was appointed at Villa a week ago.

It's this weird thing you do - to post something that you know is incorrect and get amused when people correct you.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Feethams 1966
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Feethams 1966 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:09 am

It strikes me that whoever gets the England job will be shuffling the same pack of cards so does it matter whose name it is? The outcomes will be the same and the pundits will observe that it looks like what we had before with Sam and Roy. In my view we have a set of overpaid prima-donnas who - when faced with an opponent - have been conditioned to pass backwards or sideways no matter how far forward they have (rarely) got in to an opponent's half.
Such boring watching, and such wasted effort.
None of them can take people on and go past them like - say - George Best or Stanley Matthews. It's almost like when faced with an opponent, they have to carry out a risk assessment and go backwards. (Thank heavens we don't see that at Darlington or I wouldn't watch).
That's why I originally suggested Shearer - he's the only bloke I can think of with enough cred to tell them how useless they are and to offend them enough to make them want to play football effectively. Unfortunately the way I think and the way the FA think, aren't the same. If England managers could only select players from the Championship league we might have more chance - such sides would probably match the ability of some of the minor teams that England struggle against - and play with more passion.
As for Scotland- well I think they will win. Whilst they are capable of losing to the Faroe Islands and such like, they are always fired up against England and I wouldn't put it past them to play Nicola Sturgeon up front - her passion against all things English would be worth a few goals start for them.
When I was a ten year old in 1966 England won the world cup, Darlo got promoted and I thought such things happened routinely. Whilst the latter might be true of late, the former isn't and probably won't be in the next 50 years..

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:54 pm

No I didn't realise that Bruce had already been appointed as the Villa manager. The problem is that managers these days don't tend to be unemployed for too long. They'll just move normally down to a club further down the pyramid. Good managers don't tend to stay unemployed for very long. So we're probably looking to appoint somebody who is already contracted to a club.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 pm

For years England have appointed managers who have years of experience and are coming to the end of the road.

McLaren is probably the only recent example who contradicts this.

I don't see the harm in appointing someone with some fresh ideas, someone who might be more of the mindset of the likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Someone, Conte - guys who are a relatively modern breed of manager.

Southgate is probably as close as we've got to that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:54 pm

But Southgate has not managed a club for a long time, he's just been in charge of the Under 21's, which is a whole lot different from managing the England side.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by loan_star » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:But Southgate has not managed a club for a long time, he's just been in charge of the Under 21's, which is a whole lot different from managing the England side.
I disagree, managing the U21s is more like being England manager than being a club manager. He only gets to work with the players once in a blue moon and spends the rest of the time travelling up and down the country watching current and potential players for selection.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:But Southgate has not managed a club for a long time, he's just been in charge of the Under 21's, which is a whole lot different from managing the England side.
I disagree, managing the U21s is more like being England manager than being a club manager. He only gets to work with the players once in a blue moon and spends the rest of the time travelling up and down the country watching current and potential players for selection.
One of Pete's all time most bizarre posts.

Anyone seen the moon tonight?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Spyman wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:But Southgate has not managed a club for a long time, he's just been in charge of the Under 21's, which is a whole lot different from managing the England side.
I disagree, managing the U21s is more like being England manager than being a club manager. He only gets to work with the players once in a blue moon and spends the rest of the time travelling up and down the country watching current and potential players for selection.
One of Pete's all time most bizarre posts.

Anyone seen the moon tonight?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes it's in the usual place, up in the sky. :lol:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11661
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 pm

Not happy with Southgate's appointment, time will tell of it was the right decision or not.

joejaques
Posts: 2641
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by joejaques » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Who else would have taken it? :roll:
Image

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6292
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who do you want as the next England manager?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:time will tell of it was the right decision or not.
No s***.

Post Reply