Ranieri

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ranieri

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Spyman wrote: Perhaps he shouldn't, but it doesn't matter either way. He is allowed an opinion, and at the time it was an opinion that many others held. He's allowed to change that opinion as well, just as others are.

I'm pretty sure I thought Ranieri was a poor choice at the time. I was wrong.
Difference is you're not a prominent ex-Leicester footballer. As much as I dislike and disagree with it, the ordinary fan will hold Lineker in higher esteem than you or I, because of that.

Yes he's entitled to a view, but that risked undermining Ranieri before he'd even had a chance. To go from not giving him a chance to crying for him to stay is a hypocritical move in my view. Considering Lineker's prominence, it would have been worth him holding his tongue in the first instance. This is what makes me think Lineker is all about ego and self-publicity.

There were plenty of others who had doubts about Ranieri but held their tongue and gave him a chance.
Spyman wrote:I now think Ranieri deserved the chance to keep Leicester up over a full season and if he failed to do that, I'd have given him a go at getting them back up.

Ultimately, Leicester's fans and owners probably expected a relegation scrap 18 months ago. Would Ranieri have been sacked had they been in this position 12 months ago? Probably, yes. I just hoped there was still enough sentiment in the game to allow Ranieri a bit more time based on his achievements.
This to me underlines the weakness in the case for keeping Ranieri - it's based predominantly on emotion and sentiment. I always believe it's dangerous to make a decision based on these factors.

Ranieri was failing as Leicester boss this season and I struggle to see any evidence that he would have turned things around.
OHDFC wrote: What a strange reply.

No. As others have said I believe his achievements last season should have bought him at least this season - unless Leicester were completely cut adrift.
In fairness, in this thread you've asked for an explanation from me on a criticism, then ignored it. And you randomly brought up money when I'd made no reference to it. I'll let everyone else decide for themselves which responses are "strange."

On Leicester, what evidence is there this season that he would have kept them up? Particularly as in their first game since his sacking they won 3-1. Of course that doesn't prove it was right or wrong - but it does give a suggestion.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

simon.hawkins.sh

Post by simon.hawkins.sh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am

Of course there's no evidence he'd have kept them up. As we both know, there can't be. Just as there's no evidence that they'll stay up with a different manager.

Good win for them last night but they also beat Man City in impressive fashion earlier this season so we'll have to wait and see if this is more than just one result.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 am

simon.hawkins.sh wrote: Of course there's no evidence he'd have kept them up. As we both know, there can't be. Just as there's no evidence that they'll stay up with a different manager.
But there's a big difference though - as at the end of the season there will be "evidence".

For what it's worth, my opinion is that they will stay up.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
simon.hawkins.sh wrote: Of course there's no evidence he'd have kept them up. As we both know, there can't be. Just as there's no evidence that they'll stay up with a different manager.
But there's a big difference though - as at the end of the season there will be "evidence".

For what it's worth, my opinion is that they will stay up.
Yes, evidence one way or another as to what happens without him, but not with him.

There are plenty of worse teams and if these players don't have enough about them to stay up after how they dug in last season (and the end of the season before) I'd be amazed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:First game without Ranieri - Leicester win 3-1.

Ultimately if Leicester stay up, the owners will feel they've been vindicated in their decision.
But it was only Liverpool that they were playing, nearly everybody beats Liverpool these days!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Spyman wrote:Yes, evidence one way or another as to what happens without him, but not with him.

Yes, this is what I meant, evidence re Shakespeare but not re Ranieri - I should have put more.

"Evidence" - not the best of words for this discussion.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:49 pm

OHDFC wrote: What a strange reply.

No. As others have said I believe his achievements last season should have bought him at least this season - unless Leicester were completely cut adrift.
In fairness, in this thread you've asked for an explanation from me on a criticism, then ignored it. And you randomly brought up money when I'd made no reference to it. I'll let everyone else decide for themselves which responses are "strange."

On Leicester, what evidence is there this season that he would have kept them up? Particularly as in their first game since his sacking they won 3-1. Of course that doesn't prove it was right or wrong - but it does give a suggestion.[/quote]

It wasn't the criticism of Lineker, it was the phrase that I considered inflamatory and unnecessary - I'd have said the same you'd said it about Savage or anyone else.

I'm not convinced there are not underlying problems at Leicester anyway, not just Ranieri. Last night was a reaction but we'll see soon whether there are more problems.

Incidentally there were calls for Juergen Klopp to go in his last season at Dortmund when they couldn't buy a win and were bottom at the winter break. But he stayed and they finished in the top half and I think won the cup.

I'd also like to think that Martin Gray's achievements in the last few seasons would buy him some time with us should we have a dodgy season in the next couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm

OHDFC wrote: I'd also like to think that Martin Gray's achievements in the last few seasons would buy him some time with us should we have a dodgy season in the next couple of years.
That's an interesting discussion point and it would depend on the context.

If we went up this season and struggled in the Conference, I think he would get lee-way given the step up.

But if say next season we were struggling around the relegation zone of the Conference North (given we know from this year we're capable of competing in the top 7), then that would indicate something more seriously wrong at the club.

All hypothetical of course.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY