Torquay United

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

Torquay United

Post by biccynana » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Good article on TUFC’s current plight. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -plainmoor

It’s worth reading in full, but this kind of paragraph, about TUFC's current owner, sends shivers down the spine:
The owner of Gaming International, a company with a history of investing in sports grounds for redevelopment purposes, Osborne is a wrecking ball with a history of razing stadiums on the promise of building replacements that never materialise. To date, he has been responsible for the eviction of Bristol Rovers from Eastville and the closure of greyhound and speedway tracks, in places such as Reading and Milton Keynes. GI is also the tenant of the council-owned Poole Stadium, where it runs the dogs and leases the speedway track to the local club. Osborne arrived at Torquay promising investment in a bid to stave off relegation but no new players were signed.

Spyman

Re: Torquay United

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Shocking that people like this are allowed anywhere near football clubs, or any kind of community asset.

I was listening to the guardian football podcast yesterday and they spent a few minutes talking about Leyton Orient and how it might be an idea for someone at the FA to form some kind of group to look at protecting football clubs from destruction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Was it not the FA who sanctioned West Ham's recent move - a move too close to Orient's stadium, thereby breaking their own rules.

Little clubs don't matter to The FA, they've shown that over and over again.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am

Spyman wrote:
I was listening to the guardian football podcast yesterday and they spent a few minutes talking about Leyton Orient and how it might be an idea for someone at the FA to form some kind of group to look at protecting football clubs from destruction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
A prudent move.

The number of FL clubs owned by local businesses or people within their clubs' community is declining year on year, particularly at the Championship level.