Y.I.F.A !!

Discussion of footy that ISN'T centred around Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Y.I.F.A !!

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Here we go ...... "YIFA, the Yorkshire Independent Football Association, is a non-affiliated group formed with the purpose of establishing a Yorkshire football team to enter into international competition."

This is in the news today, I'm not kidding - this group are setting up an international Yorkshire football team to compete against other likeminded teams, and I imagine there might be one or two Darlo players who would be eligible to play, if they wished to do so.

They go on....... "We don't want people diving on the floor and shouting at the referee. In our constitution, that is a disciplinary matter.

"We have had a lot of interest from amateur level to National League - we are getting some really quality applications in."

After taking part in a cultural programme, the players will also have an off-pitch ambassadorial role to fulfil.

"We want them to talk about what it is to be from Yorkshire, the heritage and history of the region and what makes us that bit special, " explains Hegarty.

"It will be a way of reaching out to grassroots Yorkshire people and saying: This is our football team; this is what we are about, what the region is about and why we are representing it."

It is not just how the players conduct themselves that is important. The way that Yifa operates reflects its values of solidarity and identity.

Partnerships with a local club, kit supplier and marketing agency have helped get the project off the ground, along with donations of time and money.

The ultimate goal for Yorkshire is to win the World Football Cup - the global tournament for international teams outside Fifa.

And one last quote which caught my eye "If Lionel Messi's mum was born in Barnsley we will be happy to take a look at him, but otherwise we are just looking for those born in Yorkshire," jokes Yifa chairman Phil Hegarty.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

grytters

Re: Y.I.F.A !!

Post by grytters » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

First match is on Sunday in Pontefract for anyone daft enough to want to go

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... pontefract
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Who on earth do they pick, completely ridiculous.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:18 am

Whats ridiculous about it Pete?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 am

murtonquaker wrote:Whats ridiculous about it Pete?

You'll end up with every county having a team, which will detract from club football. I just don't think there will be much support for this initiative.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:56 pm

There clearly is support for intiatives like this...

There is a a Confederation full of such teams...

http://www.conifa.org/en/