Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Brighton Jack
Team Supported: Swansea and Brighton

Re: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Post by Brighton Jack » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 am

Swansea City and Brighton fan in peace here.

Firstly, I would like to say that the OP's message there really moved me and has made me want to get behind the lads tomorrow. No matter who you support, it's always horrible and tragic when a football club goes under. A football club is more than a team of players playing the game, it's also a huge part of people's lives and the community of the town or city it represents. Everybody who loves this game should help out this football club called Darlington FC.

I will also be following your results if tomorrow is not your last game, hoping you get back into the football league where you belong!!.

All the best Darlo fans, players and staff. I have made a donation and really do hope you get out of this and go onto great things.

Once again, all the best. That message really speaks out for you Darlo fans saying how much you love your team.
Last edited by Brighton Jack on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brighton Jack
Team Supported: Swansea and Brighton

Post by Brighton Jack » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:11 am

I've tweeted this thread and donation details via paypal if anyone wants to help.

Eric the White
Team Supported: Swansea City

Post by Eric the White » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 am

What the hell are you doing making a grown man cry!!!
As a Swansea fan we've been there and come out the other side, I hope that you can do the same.
All the luck in the world for the future.
A few shillings have been sent to your fund.

Lilywhite
Team Supported: Preston

Post by Lilywhite » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 am

Eric the White wrote:What the hell are you doing making a grown man cry!!!
As a Swansea fan we've been there and come out the other side, I hope that you can do the same.
All the luck in the world for the future.
A few shillings have been sent to your fund.
Made a grown woman cry here. Even tough 'other half' shed a tear and that's saying something.

To all you Darlo fans. Am not sure you know how many people around the world will be following you tomorrow. We know what it means to love our clubs and follow them through the worst times. We take out children and build friendships and memories that never leave us. And MKDarlo has summated so perfectly the passion and pride you feel. Tomorrow around the world,from my own bloody facebook thing, you will have people from Rio Brazil, Columbia South Carolina USA, Moscow, Whitby, boro, and Adelaide backing you lot. Good luck.

saint crow
Team Supported: Darlington & Southampton

Post by saint crow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 am

I've counted well wishes from fans of 93 different teams.
Amazing.
Every one is appreciated.
We couldn't all be cowboys......some of us are clowns!

m1st
Team Supported: Blackburn Rovers

Post by m1st » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 am

Blackburn Rovers fan here.

Would you care to guess how many grown men [and women] have shed at least one tear on reading that first post? Add me to the list.

I posted on one of our message boards that yesterday I'd e-mailed my Geordie mates ahead of today's F.A. Cup game between us. Knowing how much they love Mike Ashley ;) , I suggested that the game would be between the Premier League's two worst owners but that we were now miles ahead in that 2-horse race.

I added that,
if our owners don't sell up and any new owners don't get rid of Kean immediately, we'll be playing Middlesbrough next season and Hartlepool the season after. Before adding "Darlo here we come!", I thought I'd just check which League [you] play in these days
[sorry!] and came across something from the Journal's website about your plight. I went on to add that I hoped that isn't an omen for us.

Another member on our board then gave us a link to this thread, which I've read, like I say, with a tear or two in my eye and an increasing lump in my throat. I've thanked him as follows:
God forbid we should ever be in their situation; but, if we were, I'm sure that we'd be feeling exactly as whoever has penned that. I wonder if Venky's [the Indian chicken magnates who now own us] can comprehend that.
We may be in the Premier League at the moment but many of our fans fear that it won't take much for us to be in the same sort of vicious spiral you seem to be in. Like many people reading this, I'll be listening for your result tomorrow and sincerely hope that you go on to have a better future than appears possible at the moment.

I'm an old fogey who's never had a Paypal account but once the one I've just set up is active, I'll be adding to your fund.

attila
Team Supported: Barrow AFC

Post by attila » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 am

Hi, Barrow fan here, stirring stuff indeed. Good luck with your future but were going to be the pantomime villains if we win later. Hope you all have a safe journey and memorable day in Barrow. Btw weve got a woman ref to make it even more surreal. If youre bringing as many as I think you are, you might be better spreading out a bit and will be welcome in the clubhouse and the soccer bar 50 yds beyond, if the Tally Ho gets a bit full. If youre going round the town centre first its a 15 minute walk to the ground.

Taxis 01229 830055

Lilywhite
Team Supported: Preston

Post by Lilywhite » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:34 am

On fear of highjacking a thread that should be left to Darlo fans (and absolute genuine apologies if it comes across like that)...well put m1st. As a Northender we have had our rivalries and will always do so, but, unless we show our support of clubs that could be us and in the face of TRUE loyalty and passion this beautiful game will only get worse.

varney
Team Supported: Dagenham & Redbridge

Post by varney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:44 am

Greetings from a Dagenham & Redbridge fan exiled in Thailand. I read the post via link on D & R fans forum while eating my cornflakes. Have to admit it got me blubing like a little kid. That's a proper football fan talking about their club, and is something a lot of stay at home armchair fans of Premier clubs would not understand.

Have a good day today get behind the team and give them a cheer for me

nlemecfc
Team Supported: Exeter

Post by nlemecfc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 am

Superb post and brings back memories of when we were facing what could be our last game at Exeter.

Having had so many excellent trips to Darlo it seems unbelievable that there might be no more.

Good luck to you all and I know that with the supporters you have you will survive in some form.

I am going to Chestefield tomorrow and almost feel like travelling on to Barrow but in any event I will be sparing a huge thought for you all tomorrow.

Cheers, Neil

PS anything we at Exeter can do to help just get in touch.

SRFC_Eire
Team Supported: Shamrock Rovers FC

Post by SRFC_Eire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:05 am

Shamrock Rovers fan here.

Wow just wow....what a post,if you didnt feel any slight hint of sadness and sense of pride,you dont deserve to be a football fan.

We have had our ups and downs over the years,and ourselves almost went out of existance,but we fought back,took control of our club,and last season reached new heights in europe for Irish football.

Good Luck today,and i like many other true football supporters world wide will be hoping that today marks the end of darlos trouble and the mark of the a new era.

KOH

and CMON DARLO!!!!

Guangzhou Tiger
Team Supported: Hyde FC

Post by Guangzhou Tiger » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:45 am

Exiled Hyde FC (ex Hyde United) fan here in peace. MKDarlo's OP brought a tear to my eye. I can only follow my team nowadays through the internet living in China but remember well only a short while back when Hyde were wound up in the high court by HMRC. Fortunately with the help of fellow fans and the grateful assistance of Man City, Oldham, etc my team were saved. Following boardroom and managerial changes we're currently riding high at the top of the BSN & running under sound financial constraints.

I've read all 10 pages of this thread and can only wish Darlo all the best today at Barrow and truly wish you can find a way to avoid going bump. If that does happen then ensure you start again as you deserve...a fans club, run by and for the true fans. I'll be checking out your result today immediately after Hyde's!

Sing your hearts out for your team lads & lasses!.

Rotherham1
Team Supported: Rotherham United

Post by Rotherham1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 am

A very passionate / emotional message. You deserve to survive with supporters like this.
Good luck with everything & hope you all have a good day today at Barrow & are able to have a football future in Darlington.

Rotherham United supporter.

HeedBoy
Team Supported: Gateshead

Post by HeedBoy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am

Gateshead fan here, wishing Darlington all the best for today and the future. That OP was the most passionate piece of football writing I've read in my 50+ years on this planet. As a 'child of the 50's' North East football to me means Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Hartlepool, Gateshead and South Shields, and that's how I want things to stay. Tribal rivalries mean nothing in a situation like this.

jon_barrow
Team Supported: Derby County

Post by jon_barrow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 am

Derby County fan here,

That first post is one of the best things I've ever seen on the internet and I'm another grown man that the original post made cry.

The big powers in football need to realise it's about the fans not lining their pockets.

I can't really add much to what's already been said but best of luck this afternoon and into the future- keep going.

boroeric
Team Supported: Guernsey FC

Post by boroeric » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 am

Boro/Guernsey FC fan

Fantastic post which has really stirred the blood of numerous football supporters throughout the UK, all of who care passionately about the clubs they support and football in general.

All will be very much thinking of the 'Darlo' fans and their adopted fans who will be there at Barrow this afternoon, shouting their hearts out in support of the team.

I sincerely hope there are investors who are prepared to save this fantastic club and their supporters; football clubs and sports clubs are the heartbeat of any community and any loss will undoubtedly have a impact in that area.

cass73
Team Supported: Sunderland

Post by cass73 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

Sunderland fan here and you can add me to all the tears shed, and my hubby (oxford)when i read it to him.

I spent time working at Darlo when i was a student from about the age of 17 it was a great club and a loved every min of it so much so i went and got my self a season ticket with a friend for the tin shed.

the post is the most amazing bit of football writing i think i have ever read and with fans like that no matter what happens today Darlo will never die.

Good luck for today even though im a safc fan im off to find my old darlo top and wear it with Pride

Stockport Ram
Team Supported: Derby

Post by Stockport Ram » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Derby fan for 42 years here.

I just want to echo all the good wishes of every other non-Darlington fan who has taken the time and trouble to register and admire your passion and CARE about YOUR football club.

Good luck today, and I sincerely hope that you have a bright future.

I, like many others will be checking your progress at 4.45pm and beyond, with hope.

Conster44

Post by Conster44 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm

There was quiet a bit of darlo chanting and banter at the game last night as we got hammered 4:0 by the boro reserves. Even Mogga made an unexpectedness appearance in the crowd so hopefully that will raise a bit of awareness in the North East at the very least. Also good luck today and hope you guys win

cav
Team Supported: Torquay Utd

Post by cav » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Torquay United fan here

A fantastic post, from the heart and what it is like being a real football supporter.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We've had our problems at Plainmoor, but nothing as bad as this seems to be for Darlo.

Best of luck for the future

Always, always, always keep the faith

Chipster
Team Supported: Norwich City

Post by Chipster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:46 pm

We're all Darlo fans today.

Wish I could be at the game but I'm there in spirit, singing my heart out.

Barney
Team Supported: Derby

Post by Barney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:20 pm

This has been posted on one of the Derby Fans Forum

Excellent Post :clap:

Any football fan wherever in the world would read the OP and be able to associate with it.

Nearly happened to us in the 80's

Good luck to all Darlo fans for the future :thumbup:

forestzoe
Team Supported: Forest

Post by forestzoe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Forest fan in peace. The OP was posted on our boards also, and had me blubbing. Right from the heart and sums up everything it is to be a football supporter and conveys the heartbreak felt. Hope you guys do pull through.

Mariner17
Team Supported: Grimsby

Post by Mariner17 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Grimsby town fan in peace. I would just like basically say that I think you're all a true credit to your club, especially after these really tough times. I will miss playing Darlo and visiting the Darlo Arena.
But always keep the faith and remember pain is temporary and glory is permanent.
Oh and thanks for Miller by the way :P

Christophano
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Christophano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Mariner17 wrote:Oh and thanks for Miller by the way :P
Just you look after him, he needs 3 square meals a day and plenty of walks.

Derby County FC
Team Supported: Derby County

Post by Derby County FC » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Another Derby County fan in peace

The opening post really touched my heart, and I had many a tear in my eye reading all of the replies. We nearly hit the brink in the 80s before my time, but in recent years we've had the euphoria of winning at Wembley, matched with the disappointments of 'the' 11 point season and the '3 amigos' fraudulently robbing our club of money.

No football fan should ever see their club go under, and the opening post was a fantastic rallying cry. The clubs (at least below PL level) are a mainstay of the community, one that we must maintain. I am deeply passionate about the Rams, and cannot comprehend the many many people who I know who 'support' the Manchester Uniteds/City's/Liverpool's of this world, having never been to the ground.

I'm currently researching football fanaticism as part of my university dissertation, and threads like this, along with the reactions I get from fans around the country, only reaffirm my passion. It was only the other week when a trip home to see the Rams, had me stopped at every train station by fans of many clubs asking where I was going, how we were doing, and passing along support for the day's game. It's the small things like that that really make you proud to be representing your home town.

Good luck Darlo, from all at Derby County, I wish you nothing but success (except against us of course ;) but here's hoping we have the chance to play you).

Also, thanks to all the other clubs' fans who have posted their support - every message was heartfelt, and really gave me a lump in my throat.

Up the Rams, and Darlo :clap:

TheGnu
Team Supported: Aldershot

Post by TheGnu » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Rarely will anyone sum up what it means to be a fan better than the OP here. Every football fan should read it, anyone who doesn't understand the passion for a football club should read it.

As an Aldershot fan for many years I can only cast my mind back to the dark days of the early 90's and our demise in March 1992. The pain that caused lives long in the mind, but out of that was born a new club, new hopes and a club we are able to be proud of. No footy fan should ever have to see this happen to their club. If the worst happens, good luck getting yourselves reformed and climbing back up the pyramid.

Good luck all.

wellingaway

Post by wellingaway » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 pm

What a post. Couldn't make it today and regret it massively.

Rafc94
Team Supported: Rochdale

Post by Rafc94 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Rochdale fan here.

Fantastic OP. Really hope Darlo pull through this, always had a soft spot for them. My first league away game was at your place in 2003 and i used to love going to Darlo. Great and passionate fans epitomised by your support in the Play-offs against ourselves. I can only echo what other people have said and I really hope you pull through. Keep the faith.

Good luck Darlo.

TheGloryhunter

Post by TheGloryhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Gloryhunter here. What I did for a season - despite various misinterpretations - was all about fans like you. Proper fans. And I found plenty at Darlo. And I loved it. It was about the devotion, the togetherness, the ups and the downs. I can't believe how seamless your dedication has transferred to non-league. We were at Wembley just 5 minutes ago, and now? I really hope you live to fight another day, and get more of the ups and downs that make our game unique. But whatever happens, please know that fans all over the country (and especially a particular Gloryhunting one) are thinking of you.