Local clubs released list

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Allan Quatermain
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Local clubs released list

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Everything very, very quiet on our retained list, potential targets and if MG will commit to us next season.Nothing at all coming out of the club or Craig Stoddart, just wondering what is happening behind the scenes especially as nothing has come out of the awards night also on this site which seems odd.Could do with some news TBH.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Where has this retained list concept come from? I don't remember us launching one for the past 4 years?

Best news was that 3 out of contract players have signed on for next year. How I am interpreting that is Gray is working to replace the others if he can with upgrades but he is not going to release them in the mean time.

There were awards given out at the awards night. I think it right that players livelihoods are discussed at an event to celebrate last seasons achievements - Mark Cooper decided to use our civic reception for something similar a few years back.

I would interpret that no news means there is no news.
But don't you agree that as we are approaching June we should know by now the position of MG....is he staying or going?.We have 3 keepers....who is the unlucky one...hence some form of retained list.Fans are putting big sums of money into the club and I feel deserve a little more feedback.Hopefully we will some news on MG fairly soon.

He's under contract, hasn't resigned, hasn't been given the sack ergo he's staying.

I suspect there may have been new discussions about the level of the budget he's going to work around with peace eventually breaking out at Blackwell Meadows.

But this is Darlington FC, so I won't try to predict too far into the future.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue May 23, 2017 7:11 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Everything very, very quiet on our retained list, potential targets and if MG will commit to us next season.Nothing at all coming out of the club or Craig Stoddart, just wondering what is happening behind the scenes especially as nothing has come out of the awards night also on this site which seems odd.Could do with some news TBH.

Where has this retained list concept come from? I don't remember us launching one for the past 4 years?

Best news was that 3 out of contract players have signed on for next year. How I am interpreting that is Gray is working to replace the others if he can with upgrades but he is not going to release them in the mean time.

There were awards given out at the awards night. I think it right that players livelihoods are discussed at an event to celebrate last seasons achievements - Mark Cooper decided to use our civic reception for something similar a few years back.

But don't you agree that as we are approaching June we should know by now the position of MG....is he staying or going?.We have 3 keepers....who is the unlucky one...hence some form of retained list.Fans are putting big sums of money into the club and I feel deserve a little more feedback.Hopefully we will some news on MG fairly soon.

No, its close season, why are you expecting so much? Give the people running the club a break from football for a few weeks. It's not going to matter if we find out now or find out at the end of June, what difference will it make to you or I? None whatsoever.

And the obssession about a "retained list" considering the club has never released one in 5years in laughable
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:29 pm

quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

No, its close season, why are you expecting so much? Give the people running the club a break from football for a few weeks. It's not going to matter if we find out now or find out at the end of June, what difference will it make to you or I? None whatsoever.

And the obssession about a "retained list" considering the club has never released one in 5years in laughable
You are absolutely right Quakersam, issuing retained lists IS a silly idea so I was totally wrong and I am also way out of order expecting updates about whether MG is going or staying.I hold my hands up and admit defeat on this topic, I must learn to be more patient.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
quakersam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

You are absolutely right Quakersam, issuing retained lists IS a silly idea so I was totally wrong and I am also way out of order expecting updates about whether MG is going or staying.I hold my hands up and admit defeat on this topic, I must learn to be more patient.

I'm with Quakerman, I think there should be a statement about Gray staying, as the last we heard he was considering his position. Such a statement would also give a boost to the fundraising appeals, which haven't moved for a couple of days now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 am

Absolutely Pete, it is worrying the fundraising has slowed down and I honestly think this could well be the reason.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

What if perhaps the club is not in a position to make a statement because final details are being worked on? Or what if there will be something mentioned at the SGM on Friday face to face? This clamour for constant statement is boring

MG was at the presentation night, has re-signed arguably the most important players and has stated he was "buzzing" in a recent Echo article

That should tell people everything they need to know

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 am

If MG does put his resignation in, there are a couple of potential replacements who have become available recently:-
1. David Moyes
2. Sam Allardyce
3. Claudio Ranieri :P

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 am

Undercovered wrote:What if perhaps the club is not in a position to make a statement because final details are being worked on? Or what if there will be something mentioned at the SGM on Friday face to face? This clamour for constant statement is boring

MG was at the presentation night, has re-signed arguably the most important players and has stated he was "buzzing" in a recent Echo article

Yes but was non committal apparently, but here's hoping everything gets sorted, Martin is happy and we look forward to next season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Undercovered wrote:What if perhaps the club is not in a position to make a statement because final details are being worked on? Or what if there will be something mentioned at the SGM on Friday face to face? This clamour for constant statement is boring

Yes but was non committal apparently, but here's hoping everything gets sorted, Martin is happy and we look forward to next season.

So 3 of our best players have signed new deals but because someone told you (since you obviously weren't there) Gray sounded non committal you think he still might be leaving?
I can just imagine the contract talks.

"Well then Mark, Nathan and Phil, the budget has been slashed so we will probably be mid table next season. I 'm leaving but you 3 can stay, how does that sound to you?"......

"yes boss where do we sign??"

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

Well if's that obvious why doesn't he just come out and say he's staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:35 am

loan_star wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

So 3 of our best players have signed new deals but because someone told you (since you obviously weren't there) Gray sounded non committal you think he still might be leaving?
I can just imagine the contract talks.

"Well then Mark, Nathan and Phil, the budget has been slashed so we will probably be mid table next season. I 'm leaving but you 3 can stay, how does that sound to you?"......

"yes boss where do we sign??"
You have put my mind at rest loan star, thanks for that, a no brainer ...MG will be staying thank god.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm with Quakerman, I think there should be a statement about Gray staying, as the last we heard he was considering his position. Such a statement would also give a boost to the fundraising appeals, which haven't moved for a couple of days now.
Darlo Pete in wanting a statement shocker. I hope they include that we will be keeping the Darlington badge next season and that we will be playing games at Blackwell Meadows.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Interesting to see if what Allan Quatermain has said will come to pass i.e. maybe meeting MG half way with the budget cut.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Interesting to see if what Allan Quatermain has said will come to pass i.e. maybe meeting MG half way with the budget cut.
Well the fans have raised around £35K to complement the playing budget so I'd definitely hope so

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Maybe we should all go along on friday and see exactly whats happening...... :shh:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 24, 2017 4:04 pm

It's holiday time ,maybe that has a bearing on the slow down of collective pitches, or people waiting for monthly wages before being able to commit to invest in any pitch.,I will be adding to the playing budget again. Before end of June.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm with Quakerman, I think there should be a statement about Gray staying, as the last we heard he was considering his position. Such a statement would also give a boost to the fundraising appeals, which haven't moved for a couple of days now.
Darlo Pete in wanting a statement shocker. I hope they include that we will be keeping the Darlington badge next season and that we will be playing games at Blackwell Meadows.
Why don't you put something constructive on this message board instead of trying to be clever.Stop moaning for gods sake, Pete makes honest opinions and no need for your constant sarcastic replies.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Why don't you put something constructive on this message board instead of trying to be clever.Stop moaning for gods sake, Pete makes honest opinions and no need for your constant sarcastic replies.

"Stop moaning" you say?

You do see the irony, don't you?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 pm

I think that we are in a position now where we have the majority of the squad contracted for next season, with another 2 of the current squad to meet with Gray tomorrow.

I would possibly only be looking at losing one of Jameson or Wilczynski over the summer, however both are rumoured to be contracted so no need to release them as such.

It is a case of going with what we have got and looking to improve over the summer. If we can then great, but we will have to move on a few if or when this happens. We can have flexibility over this due to not paying the players over the summer.

There will always be a demand for any player we would look to let go from clubs lower down that can offer there or thereabouts what we can.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 am

I think the wider issue is that we simply can't afford to have 3 contracted keepers on the books. 2 as an absolute max, but if we are happy with Bartlett then a young lad or loanee for the bench is probably fine.

One of those wages at last needs to go on a centre back, in my humble opinion.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 pm

H1987 wrote:I think the wider issue is that we simply can't afford to have 3 contracted keepers on the books. 2 as an absolute max, but if we are happy with Bartlett then a young lad or loanee for the bench is probably fine.

Linked with Simon Grand along with Harrogate but wants to stay part time release 3 keepers = Simon Grand

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 25, 2017 8:38 pm

roadrunner wrote:
H1987 wrote:I think the wider issue is that we simply can't afford to have 3 contracted keepers on the books. 2 as an absolute max, but if we are happy with Bartlett then a young lad or loanee for the bench is probably fine.

Linked with Simon Grand along with Harrogate but wants to stay part time release 3 keepers = Simon Grand
Can Grand play in goal too?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 pm

I see a North-east non-league striker with 53 goals in 111 appearances for his club has been made available for transfer... contact Jason Ainsley if you're interested.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon May 29, 2017 5:58 am

LoidLucan wrote:I see a North-east non-league striker with 53 goals in 111 appearances for his club has been made available for transfer... contact Jason Ainsley if you're interested.
Are you FishingImage

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 am

Blyth have just lost one of their main midfield men with Matty Pattison opting to sign a two-year deal with South Shields. Apparently Blyth just couldn't afford to offer a two-year deal but money doesn't seem much of a problem for South Shields in the Evo-Stik.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am

LoidLucan wrote:Blyth have just lost one of their main midfield men with Matty Pattison opting to sign a two-year deal with South Shields. Apparently Blyth just couldn't afford to offer a two-year deal but money doesn't seem much of a problem for South Shields in the Evo-Stik.
Probably South Shields will have increased their budget significantly after winning promotion and the FA Vase final. So they can probably offer a better deal than Blyth, who don't have a major investor backing them.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:41 am

Shields are going to rise very quickly up to our level I reckon. It's good to have so many North East teams pushing up the pyramid all the same.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Seems like Salford are strengthening pretty significantly ahead of the new season. Can't see past them for the title.

Kidderminster have lost Tunnicliffe (Fylde) and Gnahoua (Shrewsbury).

Stockport have also lost Lloyd (Peterborough) & Montrose (Fylde). 2 of their best players, IMO.

If we keep this squad together (which we look to be doing) and add 2-3 new signings then we have a real chance of hitting the play-offs again.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Seems like Salford are strengthening pretty significantly ahead of the new season. Can't see past them for the title.

Kidderminster have lost Tunnicliffe (Fylde) and Gnahoua (Shrewsbury).

Stockport have also lost Lloyd (Peterborough) & Montrose (Fylde). 2 of their best players, IMO.

If we keep this squad together (which we look to be doing) and add 2-3 new signings then we have a real chance of hitting the play-offs again.

If new playoffs go down to 7th place, then it would be a bad season if the club did not make the play off places
Last edited by spen666 on Wed May 31, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Agreed. York, Stockport, Kidderminster, Harrogate seem the obvious challengers. Not sure how Harrogate's recruitment has gone beyond Falkingham. Three out of four of those are full time.

Not expecting Southport or North Ferriby to have that much money to invest.

Spennymoor seem pretty content to stick with what worked last season but clearly they have a bit of financial clout beyond their crowds, Blyth have lost a couple of players I believe including their top scorer from last season.