York City v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City v Darlo Match Thread

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:38 pm

There's tonnes of factors. Blackwell still not being the finished deal is a big part I think. More seats and another covered terrace (even that just spans the penalty area due to the pipe) will help immeasurably. Was delighted feedback has been taken into account with the dugouts and its made a big difference on that side. We've got to remember, places like York, people are going to a proper stadium. Blackwell right now, is half a one.

Similarly, some people have just fallen out of the habit. There will be folks who have been to the odd game, and go to the odd away game, but aren't going to home games regularly. I don't think more expensive tickets helps in that regard. I do think 14 is a little steep (and i know it's in line with a lot of the division, but that doesn't make theirs right either). I sort of think 12 is better, the mindset is it being close to a tenner.
Ultimately I hope people begin to come back, enjoy the experience, and come again and again. It being a comfortable experience, with seats for those who want them, so kids can see, covered terrace for crap weather, and a welcoming bar can all help the experience for those who drift, or see it as a day out.

We can win these folks back, it's just going to take time and inevitable improvements to Blackwell that we just don't have the money for yet. The club taking on feedback is promising. We've seen not only the dugouts moved but a food outlet next to the tinshed, more reasonable prices, access to the bar relaxed... and we'll reap the benefits from all of it.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm

H1987 wrote:There's tonnes of factors. Blackwell still not being the finished deal is a big part I think. More seats and another covered terrace (even that just spans the penalty area due to the pipe) will help immeasurably. Was delighted feedback has been taken into account with the dugouts and its made a big difference on that side. We've got to remember, places like York, people are going to a proper stadium. Blackwell right now, is half a one.

Similarly, some people have just fallen out of the habit. There will be folks who have been to the odd game, and go to the odd away game, but aren't going to home games regularly. I don't think more expensive tickets helps in that regard. I do think 14 is a little steep (and i know it's in line with a lot of the division, but that doesn't make theirs right either). I sort of think 12 is better, the mindset is it being close to a tenner.
Ultimately I hope people begin to come back, enjoy the experience, and come again and again. It being a comfortable experience, with seats for those who want them, so kids can see, covered terrace for crap weather, and a welcoming bar can all help the experience for those who drift, or see it as a day out.

We can win these folks back, it's just going to take time and inevitable improvements to Blackwell that we just don't have the money for yet. The club taking on feedback is promising. We've seen not only the dugouts moved but a food outlet next to the tinshed, more reasonable prices, access to the bar relaxed... and we'll reap the benefits from all of it.
We're debating why people are attending away matches but swerving home matches. Entry price can't be a significant factor. It was £14 at Botham Crescent. Plus there was the additional cost of getting to York.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Some might not realise it but there are a lot of people living in North Yorkshire who have a historic affinity to Darlington as their local club.
Like me.
This soft spot and affinity goes back years. For some it's as easy to get to York as Darlington. It's probably the same reason why we took so many to Harrogate when we played there.
Latent interest is always aroused by the big games and it was ever thus. It was why we had such massive crowds against Chelsea ,West Ham and Arsenal in the fifties and sixties. And why nearly seventeen thousand of us tried to stuff ourselves in to Feethams for the title decider with Torquay in 1967. That's just how it is.
Last night's match was probably just another example of a perceived "big one".
If I remember rightly. weren't York one of the last teams we played at the Arena when we went bust, and didn't we have Jordan Pickford in goal for us? I'm struggling to remember the score; think it was 2-2.
Good interview with Pickford in last Saturday's daily Mail - fondly remembers playing for us and Alfreton - ironic on a day both teams were playing each other. Now at 30m the most expensive goalkeeper. Hope he gets an England call up.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:43 pm

m62exile wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
loan_star wrote:Until they are able to do something about sightlines down the sides and open end people will always be put off as theyll spend the match looking at the back of someones head.
Admittedly the club house side is a vast improvement now but still a nightmare if theres a big crowd.
If last Saturdays "grass bank grandstand " behind the bottom goal is allowed to continue it should make things a bit better until we have a proper solution.
Weren't allowed to stand on the bank at Bishop.. So why at BM
Everybody did though!
True... Don't make it right but we do need a raised section to help the view

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:57 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
shawry wrote:I go to the home games, have a season ticket, but truth be told I hate it there, with a passion it still feels less of a home than Bishop ever did

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I'm glad I'm not the only one..
I ask plenty of people if they prefer BM or HP, nearly always including me, say they preferred when we played at HP.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
shawry wrote:I go to the home games, have a season ticket, but truth be told I hate it there, with a passion it still feels less of a home than Bishop ever did

I ask plenty of people if they prefer BM or HP, nearly always including me, say they preferred when we played at HP.
OK Pete..I have to ask the question.
Why do you prefer HP to BM.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I have to ask the question. When you conduct these survey why do you nearly always ask yourself the question? Surely you already know your own opinion?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

OK Pete..I have to ask the question.
Why do you prefer HP to BM.
Hard to put my finger on it, I just preferred the matchday experience more at HP.

Sleethy

Post by Sleethy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Time 5 foot eight and I found it very hard to see at the Gainsborough match.the main difference between Blackwell and bishop is the bank.i know we shouldn't of used it but we did.desperaely need terracing in my opinion

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Sleethy wrote:Time 5 foot eight and I found it very hard to see at the Gainsborough match.the main difference between Blackwell and bishop is the bank.i know we shouldn't of used it but we did.desperaely need terracing in my opinion
But how do we fund that? Primarily through getting fans through the door. So it's a catch 22.

Oh and a sensibly-sized playing budget would help Image
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sleethy wrote:Time 5 foot eight and I found it very hard to see at the Gainsborough match.the main difference between Blackwell and bishop is the bank.i know we shouldn't of used it but we did.desperaely need terracing in my opinion
But how do we fund that? Primarily through getting fans through the door. So it's a catch 22.

Oh and a sensibly-sized playing budget would help Image
Sensibly sized human beings would help!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

Could we not have rows of boxes, steadily increasing in height, placed in the open end, or benches, like for old school photos?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Hard to put my finger on it, I just preferred the matchday experience more at HP.

At Bishop you had that small ground feeling with the advantage that you could get close to the action and/or get a bit of height.

At B.M you can't get as close, and you can't really get any height. It's early days but our ground at present isn't that good for watching football - this is the dreaded "matchday experience" that Pete and others go on about.

I hope that given time our new home will gradually improve.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Hard to put my finger on it, I just preferred the matchday experience more at HP.

At Bishop you had that small ground feeling with the advantage that you could get close to the action and/or get a bit of height.

At B.M you can't get as close, and you can't really get any height. It's early days but our ground at present isn't that good for watching football - this is the dreaded "matchday experience" that Pete and others go on about.

I hope that given time our new home will gradually improve.
I feel the same, it is vital that somehow we get more terracing installed as you will never say that BM can hold 3000.Anything above 2000 and it is impossible to see around the flat terracing.I would imagine the clubhouse side also will not be altered for better viewing purposes.These are the areas that will hold us back particularly the big local derbies but hopefully we have future plans in place subject to funding of course.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 am

We need terrace at the open end obviously. I think it will need to be 12 steps at least otherwise we won't hit the 4,000 capacity.

But I think we could also do with terrace from the tin shed to the edge of the penalty box, on both sides, as well. Like we used to have at Feethams when the old west and east stands were in place.

Just an 8 step terrace either side - so it matches the tin shed terrace - would give vital better extra vantage points for some of those who like to stand down the sides, and would increase capacity by a further 3 or 400.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am

Quakerz wrote:We need terrace at the open end obviously. I think it will need to be 12 steps at least otherwise we won't hit the 4,000 capacity.

But I think we could also do with terrace from the tin shed to the edge of the penalty box, on both sides, as well. Like we used to have at Feethams when the old west and east stands were in place.

Just an 8 step terrace either side - so it matches the tin shed terrace - would give vital better extra vantage points for some of those who like to stand down the sides, and would increase capacity by a further 3 or 400.
Spot on Quakerz, if we manage that we will have a nice looking ground.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:We need terrace at the open end obviously. I think it will need to be 12 steps at least otherwise we won't hit the 4,000 capacity.

And where is the money coming from ?
Funding for the stand has stalled, unless of course Gray decides he has more than enough of a budget and the " Boost the Budget" fund can go towards the stand.
Can't see that happening.
Those in charge of our club do seem very relaxed about the situation, and I wonder if we are going to be faced with a 'fait accompli' whereby we will be in a position to challenge for promotion, not have the funds to complete the building work neccessary for promotion, and an outside investor will suddenly appear.
It would not suprise me if Singh was to reappear. Do not think he will be repelled a second time around.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 am

banktopp wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Funding for the stand has stalled, unless of course Gray decides he has more than enough of a budget and the " Boost the Budget" fund can go towards the stand.
Those in charge of our club do seem very relaxed about the situation, and I wonder if we are going to be faced with a 'fait accompli' whereby we will be in a position to challenge for promotion, not have the funds to complete the building work neccessary for promotion, and an outside investor will suddenly appear.
It would not suprise me if Singh was to reappear. Do not think he will be repelled a second time around.
an interesting theory - or perhaps Singh / whoever may wait to see if we end up in a similar pickle but needing funds to enable us to complete promotion back to the promised land - i.e. the Football League. I think the return to football league status would test people's resolve far more than another step up the non league ladder....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am

If our ceiling is this level because of the ground then that is our ceiling. I'd be in support of reducing the playing budget to a mid-table level and additional funds being used for ground development. I know that isn't a particularly popular suggestion though.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 am

As I said on another thread, the club doesnt seem to be sounding any alarm bells about raising money for the extra seats. Why not? To me that speaks volumes that something is going on behind the scenes that isnt public knowledge. And before any asks, this is just me theorising, I dont have any inside info!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 pm

loan_star wrote:As I said on another thread, the club doesnt seem to be sounding any alarm bells about raising money for the extra seats. Why not? To me that speaks volumes that something is going on behind the scenes that isnt public knowledge. And before any asks, this is just me theorising, I dont have any inside info!
Let's see what David Johnson has to say in his programme notes tomorrow.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Season started and currently a month and half to raise 40k to get to the next step, club focus needs to be on hitting this.

I think Divas advised DFCSG will be putting a chunk of the renewals into this pot, hope this would be at least 10k which reduces us down to 30k required. This is still quite a challenge though and as others have said we need to push this.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:11 pm

sometimes it just needs a spark. A few times when we've been watching the totaliser the momentum has just picked up and everyone was tweeting and talking about it.

Just need that spark

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

banktopp wrote:It would not suprise me if Singh was to reappear. Do not think he will be repelled a second time around.
It would surprise me.

Everything about that situation was strange, and he bottled out of even attempting to explain himself. And because you've mentioned Singh - it's worth reminding ourselves of his parting shot. I don't have to search very far, as our learned friend Quakerz has it above ....

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Not the kind of thing anyone would say if they had any kind of genuine interest in the club, or us, its owners.

We've had a great start to this season - we don't need Singh, we don't need his money and we definitely don't need the club splitting controversy and grief that any reemergence would undoubtably bring.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 pm

D_F_C wrote:sometimes it just needs a spark. A few times when we've been watching the totaliser the momentum has just picked up and everyone was tweeting and talking about it.

Just need that spark
Yep.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Why not categorise the forthcoming Spennymoor game as a Cat A like the Premier League then charge them £20? If their claimed 1000 fans turn up, then there is £20k to spend...;)

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
banktopp wrote:It would not suprise me if Singh was to reappear. Do not think he will be repelled a second time around.
It would surprise me.

Everything about that situation was strange, and he bottled out of even attempting to explain himself. And because you've mentioned Singh - it's worth reminding ourselves of his parting shot. I don't have to search very far, as our learned friend Quakerz has it above ....

Not the kind of thing anyone would say if they had any kind of genuine interest in the club, or us, its owners.

We've had a great start to this season - we don't need Singh, we don't need his money and we definitely don't need the club splitting controversy and grief that any reemergence would undoubtably bring.
Quite agree we don't need Singh, but what could be more bizarre than him turning up last season trying to take over.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

banktopp wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Exactly what I suggested back in May.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 pm

lo36789 wrote:If our ceiling is this level because of the ground then that is our ceiling. I'd be in support of reducing the playing budget to a mid-table level and additional funds being used for ground development. I know that isn't a particularly popular suggestion though.
It's popular with those of us that see beyond the end of the current season, but you get called boring for suggesting it.

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We were lucky not to lose Collins in the first half, as it looked like he was the last player when he brought down their forward.
Collins should have gone. Fair point.