Main and Smith - Don't......

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Main and Smith - Don't......

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Main put plenty of effort in. He ran about, challenged for stuff, and nearly scored. Main and Smith don't work very well as a partnership however.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

According to the radio, and I know this is a limited perspective, but the team didn't seem to get into gear until 60 mins

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:09 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:According to the radio, and I know this is a limited perspective, but the team didn't seem to get into gear until 60 mins
More like 30 mins!

The start of the game was sloppy, and Kiddy passed it around us and made us look a bit silly. However, by the end of the 1st half we were playing well, and improved in the 2nd half. It was an entertaining game.

crusher58

Post by crusher58 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 pm

take no notice of the radio we played well before 60 minutes, as for main he cant cut it at this level he runs about like a headless chicken with no end product im afraid we need to get rid.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Main put plenty of effort in. He ran about, challenged for stuff, and nearly scored. Main and Smith don't work very well as a partnership however.
Okay, tell you what - if Mark Cooper puts me in the team I will run around loads and challenge for stuff if he pays he half of Main's wage. Bottom line is, a half decent striker must have good positioning.

I lost count of how many times he could have got into a decent position but decided not to. I think he's had it. He'll end up at Blyth or Bedlington next season.....
Where did I say his positioning was good? I was disputing your statement that he put little effort in-he did.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Main put plenty of effort in. He ran about, challenged for stuff, and nearly scored. Main and Smith don't work very well as a partnership however.
Okay, tell you what - if Mark Cooper puts me in the team I will run around loads and challenge for stuff if he pays he half of Main's wage. Bottom line is, a half decent striker must have good positioning.

I lost count of how many times he could have got into a decent position but decided not to. I think he's had it. He'll end up at Blyth or Bedlington next season.....
have you ever played football ? when does a player decide not to get in a good position ?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:
mrcoops1984 wrote:

have you ever played football ? when does a player decide not to get in a good position ?
:lol:

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I wasnt at the game but going off other peoples comments who were, They are saying that Main just doesnt look interested, Nothing gets to me more than someone wearing the Darlo shirt and not having to be carried off the pitch at the end because they have given everything. I remember Darren Roberts going off the pitch at Leeds in 96 after about 70 mins and he could hardly walk over to the sideline he had given that much. People will respect someone that maybe is lacking in a bit of talent if they are willing to put the work in, Unfortunatly Curtis Main is doing neither and will end up playing at a far lower level from next season and he only has himself to blame for that.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Main is not good enough and Al can bang on all the fuck he likes about what Main nearly did.

Nearly does not win matches, unless of course you want to nearly win matches.

Main is not good enough and I'm still not yet a fan of M Smith who was just as shite as Main in the first half - he did improve in the second half though.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:
Answer me this please: is your interpretation of "effort" simply "running around" and "challenging for stuff"?
Yes. If someone is putting effort in they are chasing people, challening the defenders, making runs etc etc Main did this. Maybe not very well, but he did it. I'm not saying he's good enough, but to say he didn't put effort in? I don't know what some people expect. He certainly looks like he's trying to me.

What's your definition?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:25 pm

carlodarlo wrote:I wasnt at the game but going off other peoples comments who were, They are saying that Main just doesnt look interested, Nothing gets to me more than someone wearing the Darlo shirt and not having to be carried off the pitch at the end because they have given everything. I remember Darren Roberts going off the pitch at Leeds in 96 after about 70 mins and he could hardly walk over to the sideline he had given that much. People will respect someone that maybe is lacking in a bit of talent if they are willing to put the work in, Unfortunatly Curtis Main is doing neither and will end up playing at a far lower level from next season and he only has himself to blame for that.
I wouldn't say he didn't look interested, more that he has zero anticipation, thus he gets caught standing about looking like a fanny when a good ball is played in. And Smith was exactly the same in the first half, it wasn't all Main.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Main is not good enough and Al can bang on all the fuck he likes about what Main nearly did.

Main is not good enough and I'm still not yet a fan of M Smith who was just as shite as Main in the first half - he did improve in the second half though.
I too was cursing Smith throughout the first half. But, his confidence soon came back once an experienced striker was playing alongside him.
so that experienced striker helped him ? even though he was not dangerous and shite? :crazy:

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:
carlodarlo wrote:I wasnt at the game but going off other peoples comments who were, They are saying that Main just doesnt look interested, Nothing gets to me more than someone wearing the Darlo shirt and not having to be carried off the pitch at the end because they have given everything. I remember Darren Roberts going off the pitch at Leeds in 96 after about 70 mins and he could hardly walk over to the sideline he had given that much. People will respect someone that maybe is lacking in a bit of talent if they are willing to put the work in, Unfortunatly Curtis Main is doing neither and will end up playing at a far lower level from next season and he only has himself to blame for that.
I wouldn't say he didn't look interested, more that he has zero anticipation, thus he gets caught standing about looking like a fanny when a good ball is played in. And Smith was exactly the same in the first half, it wasn't all Main.
Good or confident players dont think as much about their play but rely on instinct to take them into the right positions, when their confidence is down they seem to be thinking about what and where they are going more which makes everthing become laboured. Smith was a bit like that tonight, until his goal he looked a bit out of touch and then after his goal he was transformed.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:[

Mrcoops' definition of "effort" in a striker:

A striker will be making effort when he holds his head up, looking to receive the next pass/through ball. When the team's playmaker receives the ball, the striker will look for a dangerous space to run into, not simply allow the ball to pass and then to close the ball down (running around) and then challenging for the stuff he SHOULD have won in the first place. The striker will also maintain his position as a striker and not that of a defender.
But he did make runs. More often than not they were the wrong run (or the wrong pass?...), or he held his run when he shouldn't have (this is an equally valid tactic, and doesn't indicate a lack of effort). That is a lack of quality (or anticipation as Q put it).

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Fair play, It appears that i got the wrong end of the stick and he did put the effort in! Shouldnt these "headless chicken" runs be starting to be eradicated from his game now though? I know he's only 19 or so but he has been around the first team for about 4 seasons now so the majority of the rough edges should be smoothing out by now. Is there any ex strikers behind the scenes at the club to help Curtis out with this? Or is he one of them bright sparks from the youth team that just fades away into nothing? I guess he has 3 months to save his career from now!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am

carlodarlo wrote:Fair play, It appears that i got the wrong end of the stick and he did put the effort in! Shouldnt these "headless chicken" runs be starting to be eradicated from his game now though? I know he's only 19 or so but he has been around the first team for about 4 seasons now so the majority of the rough edges should be smoothing out by now. Is there any ex strikers behind the scenes at the club to help Curtis out with this? Or is he one of them bright sparks from the youth team that just fades away into nothing? I guess he has 3 months to save his career from now!
It seems to be heading that way, which is a shame as he's always looked like he could make it. Even today he had a great effort on goal that produced a very good save, but these moments don't come often enough, and he makes poor decisions frequently (such as choice of run!). I can't see him getting another contract unless there's a dramatic upturn in his performances in the last couple of months-unless Cooper takes a gamble that he will eventually come good.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

I thought from 30 minutes onwards we dominated the game, but with little threat up front. I've said for a while that Main is not the answer to our striking issue. I saw nothing last night to change that opinion. At least Michael Smith is chipping in with a few goals and I feel he is worth perservering with.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Curtis might not be the answer to our striking problems but is he meant to be?
He's a young player in a squad of pro footballers. He has some nice touches and tries hard. He needs more coaching/experience, and more support from "fans"

I feel that some people on here expect far too much and as for wages, I doubt that his wage packet will weight him down by much.

It took Ian Wright untill he was 22 to make an impact ( not that I'm comparing Curtis to Mr Wright here!) so give the lad a break. :x
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

No.

We cannot afford to be fielding substandard players if we want to move up the league. He's not good enough, and won't ever be.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Quakerz wrote:Main is not good enough and Al can bang on all the fuck he likes about what Main nearly did.

Main has got ability mate, your man Penney wouldn't have put him in the team if that wasn't the case, yes originally it was to cover injuries but in the second season he picked him for squads when he had more experienced options.

Whether he wants to work hard enough and get the most of his abilty ? that is another question.

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't get this he's a young lad so leave him alone argument. He is 19, been around the first team for 3 years, trains with the first team and has the benefit of the same coaching regime as others. For someone who showed promise he gone backwards despite all these positive influences around him. Sadly, recent performances have shown he is a lazy individual, has limited striker abilities and one who is rapidly descending into a poor excuse for a professional footballer. But thats just my opinion.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:37 pm

So if Main wasn't in the squad who would have played instead of him last night??
With the injuries and suspensions etc.

I'm not saying play him regardless.I'm saying if there's a pecking order and Hatch is at the top, Main will be at the bottom. Someone has to be there and he can take his chances if and when they come.

Incidently, Main's played in quite a few games this season ( once in midfield) so Cooper must rate him a little.

It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinion.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:So if Main wasn't in the squad who would have played instead of him last night??
With the injuries and suspensions etc.

I'm not saying play him regardless.I'm saying if there's a pecking order and Hatch is at the top, Main will be at the bottom. Someone has to be there and he can take his chances if and when they come.
I'd have started with Senior and Wright, fully fit or not, with Michael Smith on the bench, and would have cancelled Modest's loan and Main's contract.

Clearly Cooper does not rate Wright as Wright only got on the bench because of Modest's injury. Modest is fucking s***.
Incidently, Main's played in quite a few games this season ( once in midfield) so Cooper must rate him a little.

It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinion.
Cooper has played Main when he has felt he had no alternative - although I think we had better alternatives last night.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Fair enough.

Senior is not fit but I agree, Tommy wright could have started instead of Main last night.

To cancell his contract ( Main ) is a step to far. How good is anyone at their job when they are still in their teens?

I hadn't mastered my job completely by then, I'm a contract killer by the way! I just couldn't get the hang of that one where you garrotte your victim from behind in their car. They always used to smash the windscreen with their feet which made a terrible noise. I've got it sussed now though, and there lies my point, give Curtis a bit more time.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Smith and Main were the best option last night, at least to start. However, they are not Cooper's first choice partnership. To my mind Cooper's pecking order is

Hatch/Smith/Wright as target with

Campbell/Senior/Modest/Main playing off them.

With Hatch out, Smith came in, with Campbell out, Senior not fit yet, and Modest injured, Main had to play. I don't think they were dreadful last night, just two kids against a well drilled, big physical defence, who are on the same points as the last placed club in the play-offs despite having a points deduction. Bit of perspective required.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:42 pm

To be fair Chris Senior and Tommy Wright could have been dead and I would have given them the nod ahead of Main and Modest.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Do you not think some of you guys on here are being a bit over critical about Smith and Main. We have two young lads here who have not played 30 games between them and people on here are pulling them to bits.

We were up against a team with an experienced back line, in good form and if it wasn't for the points deduction would be well clear in the playoffs yet they still created chances for themselves and on another day we could of had a hatfull.

They are not the finished article by no means and both players would of course benefit from playing alongside an experienced frontman who will help them out but in the meantime we are still getting results whilst they are getting minutes on the pitch.

Give the young uns a chance.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Why are people expecting our young players to be world beaters? No players is going to find it easy to step up from the youth team. As previously said, they need time to develop and mature, not discarding because they're not getting hat tricks every week.

But then that sums up football nowadays, no-one's got any patience.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DarloOnTheUp

Re: Re: Main and Smith - Don't......

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Why are people expecting our young players to be world beaters? No players is going to find it easy to step up from the youth team. As previously said, they need time to develop and mature, not discarding because they're not getting hat tricks every week.

But then that sums up football nowadays, no-one's got any patience.
Exactly. Players from our own youth team should be given encouragement and patience, not constant berating from idiots on here.

I'm thinking a loan move might do Main the world of good, and allow him to develop for a bit without the witch mob on here criticising his every move.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Just because they are our youth doesn't make them more special and as such we should be realistic and not blinkered. Encourage them, of course we should. That said, whilst its clear the likes of Smith are moving forward Main however has at best stagnated. How how long do we remain patient.