Any ideas for the new site?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wylam_rangers
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Any ideas for the new site?

Post by wylam_rangers » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm

A page of Links. A few come to mind but make sure you set them to open in a new window.

BBC - Darlo page
BBC Tees
PFA
Refs and Officials - there is a website where you can see who is going to be officiating
Football League
Football Association
Echo
Gazette
Journal
News Now - Press feeder
Official Darlo Site
Supporters Club
Supporters Trust

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 am

StevieMardenboro wrote:First of all this messageboard looks very good and is easy to navigate so well done on getting it up and running so quickly.

Just a couple of ideas for new sections: It seems to me one of the most popular things on here ( for posters of a certain age) is Darlo nostalgia like the quality thread GeordieQuaker started a week or so ago. I wondered if could be worth having a Darlo hall of fame where a certain number of players are voted in by fans every couple of months. You could perhaps pull together a short list of say 10 or 20 players from each decade and vote say five in from each period and then have a little career biography and pics of each one.

And/or a section of great Darlo games throughout the ages complete with match reports photos etc. I think the shirt museum thing you have done is quality and wonder whether this could be something similar which Darlo fans could browse through.
Taking this theme a bit further, could we have an area with a decent history of Darlo in it? Something about the club - and how about some of the stats of players with most appearances? Reports / thoughts on special games for Darlo - Wembley appearances; cup games; important games (Welling, etc.)? Probably a long-term project if taken up.

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:10 am

The plans are in motion for alot of these things that have been mentioned, but quite a few of the ideas are definitely something to look at once the season is underway.

We're quite pushed for time with the season being less than a fortnight away so the most important things for us to get up on the site are the fixtures/results section, the players / ratings system and the prediction league.

Other features will follow soon after that. :)

grytters

Post by grytters » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:35 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:A page of Links. A few come to mind but make sure you set them to open in a new window.

BBC - Darlo page
BBC Tees
PFA
Refs and Officials - there is a website where you can see who is going to be officiating
Football League
Football Association
Echo
Gazette
Journal
News Now - Press feeder
Official Darlo Site
Supporters Club
Supporters Trust
A "sticky" on this page listing any of the "Rivals" orphans who've found new homes.

http://owlsonline.forumotion.net/bobby- ... s-t492.htm

Or a page like Newcastle have got?

http://www.tottfanzine.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=home
Bring Back the Quarters

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 pm

A top contributor (spelling?) list so the ROH can fuck off.
><
X

Loid of the Manor

Post by Loid of the Manor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 pm

How about a where are they now feautre, like the program on sky sports. Could have info on ex-players both who have remained in the game and left the game?!?
Remember. There is no I in team, but there is a U in c***. So don't be little jealous c****, ok?

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 pm

I'd love some continuous updates/information on the reserves and youth sides. [E.g: Who is coming in? Who is being kept on? Who is knocking on the door of the first team? A bit of background on the lads etc.]

The Carlisle site on Footymad have reviews on the games and stories on those players, it seems a superb way to keep up with whats going in the club below the first team.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:51 pm

As the Trust and SC websites are updated very very infrequently, could they be allowed a page based within this site (that they could maintain?) and could allow an increased exposure.

Nothing flash but advertising their events, travel arrangements, funds etc etc.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Beano wrote:As the Trust and SC websites are updated very very infrequently, could they be allowed a page based within this site (that they could maintain?) and could allow an increased exposure.

Nothing flash but advertising their events, travel arrangements, funds etc etc.

Beano - you got here minutes before me.

We really need membership forms, travel lists and perhaps a travel application form on here.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Somewhere to access and print off fixture posters and other publicity materials.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 pm

After the twitter reports from the fans forum, how about doing this during games? I know a match day chatroom has been mentioned but it may be a bit easier through twitter and people at the game could be contributing as well.

Before the game you could establish a hashtag to make everyones updates easier to find, e.g for Saturday everyone would add #dfc-aldrsht to their tweet.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:22 pm

What's happening in regards to a Prediction League then?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:57 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:What's happening in regards to a Prediction League then?
Being worked on as I type, with a view to being ready for tomorrow night at the latest. :D
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:56 am

not sure if this has been mentioned but is there anychance of getting a log in link on the main page or on the header, to save going to the forum then logging in to go back to the main page to like or dislike an article or enter a prediction?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 am

darlomilo wrote:not sure if this has been mentioned but is there anychance of getting a log in link on the main page or on the header, to save going to the forum then logging in to go back to the main page to like or dislike an article or enter a prediction?
Have been trying to work this out and hope to have it ready soon.

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

sweet :)

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Show/Hide Original Post - Rate Posts - Liquid Layout (PLEEAA

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:09 pm

1) Rather than have to open each topic up can you implement a show/hide function to display the poster's original message, so you can quickly review it rather than open up the full thread, only to find out that it's someone posting a load of crap?

2) Some sort of voting system where regular posters earn moderator points to allow them to vote a message up/down. If your own message gets rated highly then you too earn some points. I was on a board once where this worked well, and you could set your display "threshold" to hide any posts which had been rated down to -1. The admins set known trolls and spammers new posts to automatically appear with a -1 rating.

3) Ideally I'd prefer if you set all links on the main forum index to open in a new tab/window, but I know other people might like it as it is, so an option to do this in your profile would be useful.

4) My main annoyance (once again)

Please consider converting to a more liquid layout for us poor folks who only have 800 x 600 displays (and nope, there's nothing I can do about that - my LCD TV won't display a higher resolution). Either that or shove the "Go to page..." links over to the left where it tells you what page number you're on. I can't see these links without scrolling over to the right hand side of the page.

Can any of that be done?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

jqm18287

Post by jqm18287 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:54 am

Not that it makes good reading at the moment but is it possible to have the league table as it was after each fixture linked to that fixture? And the league table to the right hand side of the fixture list in a similar position to the prediction league table?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:54 am

jqm18287 wrote:Not that it makes good reading at the moment but is it possible to have the league table as it was after each fixture linked to that fixture? And the league table to the right hand side of the fixture list in a similar position to the prediction league table?
The licence to display the league data costs a couple of grand, and unlike the fixtures, no "nominated fanzine" deal is possible. Therefore we can't show it - sorry.

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Not sure I'd like to see it anyway!

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 am

mikkyx wrote:The licence to display the league data costs a couple of grand, and unlike the fixtures, no "nominated fanzine" deal is possible. Therefore we can't show it - sorry.
Are we allowed to link to it (e.g BBC League 2 page, Football League League 2 page)?

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Any chance of a seperate forum that Hartlepool fans are restricted to? Or even better, be hardline about banning them for not contributing anything.

I know that some people are in favour of them joining in because of some perceived 'banter' that goes on. But the reality is that they stifle any debate about what's going on with Darlo and are generally too dull, predictable and spiteful to be worth the bother.

The forum has started to seriously go downhill in the last fortnight since dullards like Barnie-Pete and PJPoolie crawled on here.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:23 pm

A spell checking facility would be good. Although some peoples posts would just about all be highlighted.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:A spell checking facility would be good. Although some peoples posts would just about all be highlighted.
As long as it picked up your grammatical errors as well Pete :D

tupling's barber

Re: Any ideas for the new site? -Bring Back Barnie Pete.

Post by tupling's barber » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:44 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:
Hilly wrote:The quick reply function is a must for me personally.
It's very handy I'll have to agree.

Another vote for Quick Reply.

Also, and I know this is probably me being a bit of a pedant but it would be great if we could sin bin people for piss poor use of English, text speak etc.

Thoughts?

Yeah, BRING BACK BARNIE PETE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

He'll soon put you right. :ugeek: :ugeek:

Think he's probably a bit bored with having no Rivals site.

LET HIM ON & LIVEN UP THIS SITE.

DFCReece

Post by DFCReece » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

how does the preiction leauge work? i am only new to the site and would like to know how it works.

cheers
DFC.T.I.D

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:07 pm

DFCReece wrote:how does the preiction leauge work? i am only new to the site and would like to know how it works.

cheers
Visit the Fixtures Page:

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/fixtures_results.php

...and then click on the next fixture (highlighted in yellow) and input your prediction, it's as simple as that. :)

DFCReece

Post by DFCReece » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:41 am

Hilly wrote:
DFCReece wrote:how does the preiction leauge work? i am only new to the site and would like to know how it works.

cheers
Visit the Fixtures Page:

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/fixtures_results.php

...and then click on the next fixture (highlighted in yellow) and input your prediction, it's as simple as that. :)

cheers mate :thumbup:
DFC.T.I.D

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 pm

How about a Guest columnist each week? Could be an interesting read. Or a preview of an away team, preferably by an opposition fan?

The ability to write your own match report was a pretty good feature on the old site, and often very interesting reading.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Tits and fanny.