Any ideas for the new site?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfc1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Any ideas for the new site?

Post by dfc1883 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi, thanks for the positive feedback on the layout of this board. The site is going to tie in seamlessly with this design and we'll be getting sections up bit by bit as soon as we can so bear with us as some things will take longer than others.

We've got a whole host of ideas in mind for making this site fully interactive, but if there's anything you can think of that you've maybe seen elsewhere or even your own ideas on what would make this a better place to visit, then we'd love to hear them.

I like the idea of the prediction league and the match day chatroom which I saw on another thread, so keep the ideas flowing on this thread and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks

Dave

DFCAnth

Re: Any ideas for the new site?

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 pm

What are the ideas they you currently wish to use?

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:57 pm

any chance of having quick reply box at the bottom of the thread rather than having to click reply and then write the reply

also you might want to have hyperlinks open in a new tab/window

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:24 pm

oh and id be interested in supplying some content for the new site if needs be, if there's anything in particular that needs doing player profiles etc let me know who for

failing that i would be interested in doing some ad-hoc articles throughout the season

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Another section for Off Topic things.. Maybe a tunes of the week section?

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Also... Can you make the maximum width and length of a signature to 500x200 as this is what most signatures are made at. Thanks.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:35 pm

RealStadiumDFC wrote:Also... Can you make the maximum width and length of a signature to 500x200 as this is what most signatures are made at. Thanks.
changed it to 500x200

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks Scott :thumbup:

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Just had a thought... How about a Rumour Rep Rating, if you put a rumour up and it turns out to be true people can give you a thumbs up and vica versa.

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm all for avatars, but Animated Gifs are very, very, very annoying, makes the site look amateur imo

Notts_Quaker

Post by Notts_Quaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:05 pm

How about a photo gallery so users can upload any darlo/football pics from away games etc?

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Notts_Quaker wrote:How about a photo gallery so users can upload any darlo/football pics from away games etc?
that one is in hand, my idea in fact 8-) they say it is possible so it is looking good. We will have an authorisation on it thoough, so you can upload it but it will have to be authorised by a member of the Uncovered website team before it is published. I guess some may try to abuse the system and upload unsavoury images :roll:

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:48 pm

just so you know, the signature size has been changed to a maximum of 771x100. The problem being when you have a big signature it sort of makes things look messy and also can slow the page down.

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm

A quick reply bit at the bottom of a topic page like on the previous forum would be good imo.

andydarlo

Post by andydarlo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 am

How about this idea Scott ?

I know DAFTS used to have something but not everyone is DAFTS
Wouldn't need to be anything fancy just a simple table of name of person offering lift, which match, their location and a way of contacting (email probably).
Users can then go in and update for matches theyknow they are going to etc.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:31 am

andydarlo wrote:How about this idea Scott ?

I know DAFTS used to have something but not everyone is DAFTS
Wouldn't need to be anything fancy just a simple table of name of person offering lift, which match, their location and a way of contacting (email probably).
Users can then go in and update for matches theyknow they are going to etc.

Just use the private message facility to take up an offer :idea:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 am

a player of the year poll voted on a match by match basis.

JerseyDarlo

Post by JerseyDarlo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 am

Can we continue the top banner down either side of the board.... either that or just make it black on the sides? Just think it would look nice.

Also maybe for away games (or home too) a page where fans can log their milage to games to see who travels the furthest in a season to support darlo... (That could be a banker for me if i can get to a couple of home games!)

Could there be a thread specifically where people can post links to Darlo articles and news on other sites. Like a links section... that way us lazy/busy fans can use that as a hub to keep up to date without having to scour the internets many sources.

Is there a way to automate what darlo pete used to do with the post counting? if so it would be great to have a page to show who is active and posting a lot.

Also can you change the post icons or smilies? if so I would love to see the little darlo shirt back that used to be next to my name to show which club i followed.

A votes/poll page where people can vote on matters..... might be usefull to see what people are thinking and great if we ever have any issues again and need to know what people want to do or want the club to do.

I have lots of ideas but those will do for now.... also if you need any help i would be willing I am a photoshop wiz and work in IT and can turn my hand to ost things regarding programmig etc.... I could make us a flash game or two if you like!

grytters

Post by grytters » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 pm

An "ignore" function…
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo_Weststand19

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Paper talk, links to sporting life.com. Keeps you up to date with scores and transfer rumours. Te echo/Gazett/TeamTalk/journallive.com. Cartoon strip. The physio room keep up to date with injured players and how injuries are treated. The boardroom, alink to behind the scenes with Raj. I am sure he wants to develop better realationship with old the lost legions and new fans alike. I hope you like my ideas Scott. :thumbup:

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:05 pm

grytters wrote:An "ignore" function…
we do have the 'friend or foe' function on the board already. I haven't actually used it myself but the way it works is that if you add a friend to your list then all their posts will be highlighted on the board. If you add a foe to your list then all of their posts will not be visible.

These options are available in the user control panel.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Could you make the threads you have read before a little bit more obvious than the dark grey they are at the moment, as they aren't easy to discern from the black one's that you haven't looked at before.

Markodarlo

Post by Markodarlo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:45 am

Could you make the threads you have read before a little bit more obvious than the dark grey they are at the moment, as they aren't easy to discern from the black one's that you haven't looked at before.

long_man

Post by long_man » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 am

How about about 'average' player ratings?

That could be attached to Game reviews

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 pm

First of all this messageboard looks very good and is easy to navigate so well done on getting it up and running so quickly.

Just a couple of ideas for new sections: It seems to me one of the most popular things on here ( for posters of a certain age) is Darlo nostalgia like the quality thread GeordieQuaker started a week or so ago. I wondered if could be worth having a Darlo hall of fame where a certain number of players are voted in by fans every couple of months. You could perhaps pull together a short list of say 10 or 20 players from each decade and vote say five in from each period and then have a little career biography and pics of each one.

And/or a section of great Darlo games throughout the ages complete with match reports photos etc. I think the shirt museum thing you have done is quality and wonder whether this could be something similar which Darlo fans could browse through.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Stevie, thats a smashing idea my man. Although not sure of 'certain age' parameters!

For each legend who gets voted in, the person who nominated him should write a brief career history from the fans view point. Just so I can write about Stan the man and that goal against Pools.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:01 pm

The quick reply function is a must for me personally.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Hilly wrote:The quick reply function is a must for me personally.
It's very handy I'll have to agree.

Another vote for Quick Reply.

Also, and I know this is probably me being a bit of a pedant but it would be great if we could sin bin people for piss poor use of English, text speak etc.

Thoughts?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 pm

We don't have a quick reply function on the board because it's not something which is built into phpBB, it's an add on. Am loath to install those while I'm still making sure the board behaves!
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 pm

mikkyx wrote:We don't have a quick reply function on the board because it's not something which is built into phpBB, it's an add on. Am loath to install those while I'm still making sure the board behaves!
Get it done. You know it makes sense.