Positives from last night

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DL5
Team Supported: Darlington

Positives from last night

Post by DL5 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am

Let's not get too carried away with the negatives, remember the 0-5 drubbing by the Boro last season? that's what pre season is all about.

It was hard to know who was who out there with no names, some numbers missing and no announcements but the star was undoubtedly Ian Miller. His double block on Kieran Richardson at the end of the first half was top notch, he looked head and shoulders above eveyone for us

Up front Deano did nothing and Thorpe won everything in the air but had no service and little support

Convery and Gary Smith didn't look too bad in fact we played some encouraging stuff, knocking it around well in spells but it was ruined by some silly errors too which have alrady been pointed out

I saw enough in flashes that we have the makings of a team that can play football, I think we lacked a bit of confidence when in sight of goal and seemed scared to have a shot. I'm sure Todd will be taking this all in and sorting things out before the opening day

Jimmy

Re: Positives from last night

Post by Jimmy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 am

I absolutely agree.

I get angry by the people who say we are doomed following last nights performance.

Please remember the following:

- We nearly didn't have a club at all
- All but Ian Miller from last night are new, so they're all playing together for the 3rd time ever - this will take time.

I thought we did quite well considering the team that was put out would do a decent job in the Premiership... certainly their back 4 were that standard. We played some good stuff at times and I like the way we tried to play, very encouraging. Yes there were individual errors, and yes we got beat 4-0 - but games like this against higher opposition are there so that we raise our game and be prepared for kick off on the first day of the season.

We have to get real here - when we're playing L2 sides I think we'll do quite well with the team we have - but anyone who thinks we're going to play amazing football and be up there challenging are going to have to lessen their expectations.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow!

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 am

I wasn't expecting a great deal from the game. This is a scratch side and we were playing against Premier league players.
We did gift them 3 of the 4 goals, and there were a lot of schoolboy errors, but it's early days.
I was mightily impressed with Ian Millar's performance. I was also pleasantly surprised by Lee Thorpe. I had him down as an ageing lower league journeyman striker, but, with a quick striker alongside him (Waghorn?), he could be a very useful target man.
The most disappointing thing for me was not the match itself, but the poor turnout from Darlo fans. Let's hope it was just because they were on Holiday (or in bed with swine flu).
Onwards and upwards.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:09 am

When we got the ball down and passed it around we looked a decent team, certainly one that wont go down, as you say add a couple of loans in there and we'll be ok this season, as for Windass, he got about quite abit and some of his touches/passes were brilliant, he may not have the legs over these younger players but you can clearly see he has the knowledge and skill to compensate for this