Just back from the game...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

paulthequaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Just back from the game...

Post by paulthequaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Wow, that was something. Here's a few quick thoughts:

Overall, a good performance against a Stockport side that looked very organised and passed the ball about really well.

Our only downfall was having a makeshift defence and conceding an unlucky third goal.

Impressed with Soderburg. He can't be blamed for any of the goals and kept a cool head when kicking with players bearing down on him. Can't have been easy in those conditions.

Referee - very poor (but then they all seem to be at this level).

Linesman (Darlo fans' side of pitch) - was all over the place. Bizarre off-side decisions, couldn't keep up with the game and flagged for innocuous challenges.

Stockport announcer - more all over the place than both the ref and lino put together. My favourite was 'Stockport goal scored by Michael... Michael'.

I think there's loads of positives that can come out of this, and hopefully it'll prove to be the turning point of the season.

number_one

Re: Just back from the game...

Post by number_one » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Cooper is again a legend, the sun is shining, we will have 3,000 on saturday, DC is happy and Pete is thrapping happy, the season starts tonight against Braz.....Stockport.

anus

Post by anus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm

That's a great insight cheers!
Any other match facts to share with us messageboard regulars? How long it took you to get served a pie? How long to get out the car park? the colour of the corner flag?...in fact anything other than how the lads actually played would be great.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

anus wrote:That's a great insight cheers!
Any other match facts to share with us messageboard regulars? How long it took you to get served a pie? How long to get out the car park? the colour of the corner flag?...in fact anything other than how the lads actually played would be great.
:lol:

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

paulthequaker

Post by paulthequaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Pie serving was pretty quick - not much of a queue really
No problems getting to the car park - again fans on both sides were sparse
Corner flag was, er, standard corner flag colours
Oh, and there was a lovely billboard telling everyone just how many services Stockport Council provides.

Anything else?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Yeah, how did the players play?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 pm

paulthequaker wrote: Oh, and there was a lovely billboard telling everyone just how many services Stockport Council provides.
How many then?

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I got home 45 mins ago but had to put the bins out.
Living as I do a 5 minute train ride from Stockport I went out of duty rather than in expection. Ill confess that its the first competative game Ive been to since Wembley.
What have you all been moaning about? This free scoring side full of character. Chandler brilliant, Walshaw working hard and getting into good positions.
Must admit I never saw us as a long ball side last season but I was thinking it a bit tonight. However scoring a few goals should give us a massive lift. I think we actually defended well in the 2nd half (not the first).
Taylors goal was a cracker too.

paulthequaker

Post by paulthequaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:Yeah, how did the players play?
Generally, pretty well. Came out with a bit of purpose and got the quick goal, but heads did drop when Stockport got the equaliser and their second.

Defence was generally the weak leak, but then it was a bit cobbled together. We actually looked strong in midfield but kept on losing it in the final third.

Our second seemed to lift the side a bit and again we came out for the second half and attacked and looked to be controlling it until Paton got his second.

Again our heads dropped a bit but we slowly started to recover.

Stockport really stepped up a gear after we made it 3-3 and we had our backs to the wall a bit for a good 15 minutes.

We had a little flurry against the run of play in which Taylor smashed an absolute beauty from about 20 yards out, keeper managed to get to it, but it was too powerful.

Overall, Chandler played really well when allowed to get in the middle of park a pass it around, Rundle did a couple of good moves but needs to show a bit more urgency, Soderburg played really well and kicking under pressure was superb, Walshaw and Hatch pushed forward well but often found a lack of support once they hit the Stockport centre halfs, Aaron Brown played well, but looked knackered by the time he was taken off.

One thing that was apparent was far too much lumping to get rid of the ball from the back, nothing new I know, but seemed more out of blind panic than usual and often headed straight to Stockport.

Any better?

paulthequaker

Post by paulthequaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
paulthequaker wrote: Oh, and there was a lovely billboard telling everyone just how many services Stockport Council provides.
How many then?
Over 600 apparently.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 pm

paulthequaker wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
How many then?
Over 600 apparently.
That's quite a lot.

What are they?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

paulthequaker wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
How many then?
Over 600 apparently.
Over 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI

paulthequaker

Post by paulthequaker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 am

Hawkeye wrote: That's quite a lot.

What are they?
Funny enough, they weren't all listed on a two-metre long advertising board.

I'm sure if you visit http://www.stockport.gov.uk you'll find all the info you need. Enjoy.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm

paulthequaker wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: That's quite a lot.

What are they?
Funny enough, they weren't all listed on a two-metre long advertising board.
Giggidy.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Can't believe it. This was a home game for us....got stuck in Greece due to the strike and been ill since so didn't travel. Typical-sounds like a a thriller and I missed it. Well done after the Bath game to those who travelled-not seen a paper/tv or internet for nigh on 3 weeks and couldn't believe how poor the results had been! Hopefully this will spur the players to better performances. I always cast my mind back to our second Wembley season, down there til Christmas and suddenly went on a great run to make the play-offs...we can dream can't we?

jazzydfc

Post by jazzydfc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Can't believe it. This was a home game for us....got stuck in Greece due to the strike and been ill since so didn't travel. Typical-sounds like a a thriller and I missed it. Well done after the Bath game to those who travelled-not seen a paper/tv or internet for nigh on 3 weeks and couldn't believe how poor the results had been! Hopefully this will spur the players to better performances. I always cast my mind back to our second Wembley season, down there til Christmas and suddenly went on a great run to make the play-offs...we can dream can't we?
If by the second Wembley season you mean 2000, we were never "down there til Christmas ", we were never lower than 7th all season.

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
paulthequaker wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
How many then?
Over 600 apparently.
Over 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI
Yeh, and Im soddin paying for them seeing as I live in an SK postcode!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Must be an age thing! Another season but they all roll into one....