Billingham Town 0 Darlington 3

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Billingham Town 0 Darlington 3

Post by quakersam » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Just back from the game...
Was nice to see the lads back in action again and Darlo were the better side overall and should have made the margin even bigger.

Darlington Line-up...
Knight, James, Plummer, Miller, Starosta, J Smith, G Smith, Lumsdon, Convery, Windass, Thorpe
Subs...Liversedge, Groves, Bennett, Gray, Riley

We made quite a slow start to the match which is fair considering its the lads first time playing a competitive match together.
Lumsdon was a rock at the heart of the midfield cutting balls out left right and center whilst remaining comfortable on the ball.
Convery made a few neat runs beating his man down the right hand side on more than one occasion.
A cross from the right hand side gifted us our first goal as 40 year old Dean Windass picked up his old legs to give us the lead with a marvellous overhead kick.
Deano was once again the scorer of Darlo's second goal with a marvellous freekick in to Moody's top left hand corner.

Half Time Score : Billingham Town 0 Darlington 2

At the interval, Todd made a couple of changes bringing on Josh Gray, James Bennett and Danny Groves. From the outset Josh Gray was full of running down the left hand side creating lots of chances which we failed to capitalize upon.
We began to take control of the match as Billingham became tired and we were passing it around them comfortably.
This allowed Bennett and Gary Smith to take control of the midfield allowing Groves and Gray to forage forward at every opportunity, while Thorpey was knocking down balls or running on to through balls in which most were given offside.
Not long after Knight was replaced for Liversedge and Craig James made way for Dan Riley who played on the right wing.
Just moments after coming on Riley smacked the ball against the crossbar, going agonizingly close. Town then had a few chances at the Darlo end, making Liversedge turn out some comfortable saves.
As the game was coming to an end, The Quakers got their third. A ball in from Convery on the left hand side left Thorpe with the goal at his mercy but facing the other way.
He managed to quickly turn and finish into the bottom right hand corner.

Full time score : Billingham Town 0 Darlington 3

Sam
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Re: Billingham Town 0 Darlington 3

Post by cameron-darlo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 pm

sounded like a decent game, you sure it was windass tht scored the overhead kick lol

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 pm

thought deano was brilliant tonight, was impressed with convery too. Thorpe got into good positions to score but never seemed to be able to trouble the keeper too much im sure he'll improve.

overall wasn't too bad but lots of work to do before the season starts
It's Clobberin' Time

wardie

Post by wardie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Was there no trailist tonight then

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 pm

convery was the only trialist on show tonight, was a pretty small squad there considering it was a pre-season game which might suggest theres going to be a fair few trialists out tomorrow at RA
It's Clobberin' Time

micra3

Post by micra3 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 pm

In the first half Deano ran the show-please keep fit and play at least 60 mins per match
M I C R A 3

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:37 am

I see Curtis Main didn't play, is he injured?
COME ON DARLO!

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 am

Curtis will probably play against the RA today.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 am

was a good game to watch, i was talking to someone who said we were poor, we wernt that bad, considering it was there first competative match together, there is some promise there, the more they play together :thumbup:

Eaststandbaldie

Post by Eaststandbaldie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:56 am

sounds like Deano is well up for it,long may it continue. :thumbup:
interesting to see convery back,was surprised we let him go,hope he
does well.
has Poole found a club :?: .would be worth having back on a reduced wage.
baldie

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am

Glad to hear about big Deano scoring, hope he's got a taste for regular action now.

What type of player is Bennett? Did he play centre mid when he came on?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 am

Thought we looked alright considering it was their first game together. Most of the new guys played well, Lumsden was the pick of them I'd say and was also impressed with Knight. The left side looked the weakest area for us, I thought as soon as their right winger/full back was beyond J Smith they had the run about on James - still I'll give him a chance.

I know it was 1 pre-season game and against non-league opposition, but from last night I'd say our starting 11 looked fine. The downside was that we did look a little disjointed when most of them came off and some of the youth players came on 2nd half - squad depth will be an issue unless we get some decent loanees in. All in all though the signs were promising.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:25 am

Me and the lad were there and were pleasantly surprised by the match. Lots of endeavour by both sides and Darlo played well considering this is the first time they have played together. Trying to play attractive football on the floor and hardly any hoofball.

Miller was immense in defence (and skippered the side)

The midfield was much more effective than expected and played some great cross passes out to the wings but the crosses into the box still need some work.

There already seems to be a good team spirit with the lads playing for each other whilst there will still be competition for some of the places.

Windass just oozes quality and enthusiasm and he will be a handful in L2. I hope that he starts most matches so that we can get the game won - rather than coming on as a sub and chasing the result.

I "counted" 200+ there, nearly half were Darlo supporters. Stayed behind for a beer in their social club and pleased to report a good friendly club and worth another visit.

Also worth a mention - good pitch - courtesy of Poolies using it for their reserves. Also seemed quite a bit wider than the Arena.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:34 am

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... th_double/

Sadly, some more nonsense from t'Echo. Which makes it look as though we scored all 3 in the last eight minutes. No mention of half-time, substitutes, etc.... :thumbdown:

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Not wanting to look like I'm counting the pennies but how many people were there at the match then?

Hopefully got a good turnout for the start of the pre-seasons.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:23 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:Not wanting to look like I'm counting the pennies but how many people were there at the match then?

Like I said - over 200 and about half from Darlo

Hopefully got a good turnout for the start of the pre-seasons.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Hmm, that and the fact that it was at Billingham won't have much to do with our kitty!

Good to see we sent a contingent though.
Fingers crossed for big turn outs for the big three games!

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:05 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:Hmm, that and the fact that it was at Billingham won't have much to do with our kitty!

Good to see we sent a contingent though.
Fingers crossed for big turn outs for the big three games!

I know it's early in the pre season but that has to be the best non-league pitch I can remember seeing. Pools have certainly invested there for their reserves.

Also a nice friendly atmosphere in their clubhouse so I'll probably go again on a spare Saturday.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 pm

I only made part of the match last night but still caught all 3 goals. From what I saw I liked the lad down the right in the 2nd half, (was it Dan Riley?) Well taken goals, not pretty at times but we were in control, can't expect too much especially as it's their first outing together.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Yeah, it was Dan Riley. Was really impressed with Josh Gray last night too. He's come on alot considering he's still 17/18. Obviously parts of his game will need to be improved but he could be a star this season, he has pace to burn

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Aren't Blackburn meant to be looking at Josh Gray?

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:18 pm

It wouldnt suprise me if higher league clubs are looking at Josh Gray, when he got his chance last season he looked like one for the future, so much that Darlington made sure they kept hold of him when others were told they could leave, its great to see the likes of Main and Gray starting to come from the youth team

Also what league are Billingham in, is it roughly the same as Darlington RA, it would be nice to see us send our 1st team down there, give everyone an easier chance to see them plus it would help the R/A a hell of a lot

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Was Gray the young lad who came on against Drolysden and got abuse off some idiots in the South Stand?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Billingham are in ANL Division 1, Darlo RA are in Division 2. The Youth team played at the RA today.

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:34 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:Was Gray the young lad who came on against Drolysden and got abuse off some idiots in the South Stand?
yes it was he only came on for the last 10 mins and people were baying for his blood.
Thought gary smith played well in the middle, billy town tried to rattle him early doors maybe expecting him to kick out or something but he just kept playing, josh gray was excellent when he came on.